PDA

View Full Version : Changing diapers in public places

ckso
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
What do you do when you're in a restaurant that doesn't have a changing table in the restroom and you need to change the baby's diaper??

Sometimes I'm tempted to change it right there on the chair but then it seems wrong to do it while other people are trying to eat. Especially if baby has pooped.

Just curious what other people are doing. I know I can do it in the car but sometimes the car is parked further away.

LaurelC
12-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I would never change my baby's diaper in a restaurant (anywhere but the restroom) and I would be grossed out if I saw someone doing that. I don't mean to be rude, but that is really really gross.

If I had to, and my baby was too little for a stand-up change in the restroom, I would go out to the car.

hillview
12-15-2008, 08:21 PM
In a restaurant I'd go to the car OR ask mgmt if there was somewhere I could change a diaper. I am ok at the mall etc to put a blanket down on some service hallway or at the airport -- out of sight etc.

With older kids I have DS stand up and do it standing up.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, first I only change it if it is poop and we are out and about unless we are out all day. I honestly have not had to change many diapers in public in my years with babies. Second, I would go to my car if there were no where out of the way to change baby.

Beth

C99
12-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I would never change my baby's diaper in a restaurant (anywhere but the restroom) and I would be grossed out if I saw someone doing that. I don't mean to be rude, but that is really really gross.

Totally. That's just not OK. Even if your baby is 10 days old.

I have been to many places without changing tables and I'll use the sink if possible, or the changing pad and my jacket on the floor. And wash everyone's hands really well!

bluestarfish18
12-15-2008, 11:52 PM
We had this problem a few months ago at the Hooters in Panama City Beach. If any place in the world wasn't going to have a changing table, it would have to be party central right? I just changed him on the sink counter. Fortunately there was enough space between the sinks.

Shouldn't it be a requirement for restaurants to have fold down changing tables...even at Hooters?!

katydid1971
12-16-2008, 02:39 AM
We had this problem a few months ago at the Hooters in Panama City Beach. If any place in the world wasn't going to have a changing table, it would have to be party central right? I just changed him on the sink counter. Fortunately there was enough space between the sinks.

Shouldn't it be a requirement for restaurants to have fold down changing tables...even at Hooters?!
I wrote In n' Out Burger for this very reason. We were traveling and really needed some place to change DC. I wasn't happy. I understand Hooters not having one but fast food needs them, they are truly family restuarants

lowrioh
12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
OK...I guess I'm gross because I just changed DD poopy diaper on a chair (on our changing mat) in a resturant. It was a small place with only one unisex bathroom, no changing area or sink counter and someone had vomited all over the toliet and floor...oh yeah and it was snowing so I wasn't going out to the car. And to make it worse, it was a blow out so I had to completely strip her down.
Because she is BF, it wasn't stinky so I didn't feel too bad about it and the other people at our table actually told me I should change her there.
I really think I didn't have a choice....but no I wouldn't change her in the resturant if there were other options.

hillview
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Agree with Beth -- it would HAVE to be poop unless DS had a rash.
/hillary

vonfirmath
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Put the changing pad down on the floor in the restroom and change the baby.

In the one case where the restroom was not suitable for even this, we left the business and found another one with a restroom suitable and we will not be going back to that business.

Clarity
12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
There's no way I would put anything down on the floor in a public bathroom. The mops used to clean those floors aren't the most sanitary, you know?

bubbaray
12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
I would never in a million years change a diaper of any sort (poop or pee) in a restaurant where people are eating. That is waaaay gross. I go out to my car.

vonfirmath
12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
There's no way I would put anything down on the floor in a public bathroom. The mops used to clean those floors aren't the most sanitary, you know?

That's WHY you have the changing pad. One side to go out toward the dirty floor, and a clean side to go in toward your baby.

salsah
12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I would never in a million years change a diaper of any sort (poop or pee) in a restaurant where people are eating. That is waaaay gross. I go out to my car.

:yeahthat:

MommyAllison
12-16-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd go out to the car too. I am a bit scarred from seeing someone I knew change her toddler son in the middle of a coffeeshop place by resting his torso tummy down on her shoulder, and holding one foot up while changing his diaper with the other hand (he was kind of dangling from one foot). It was completely disgusting and inappropriate and I vowed never to do that sort of thing. Especially as she was only about 10 feet from the bathroom. :(

Clarity
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh, I know but I could never get past the idea that then I folded the pad up (side that was on dirty surface or floor facing out) and then put in back in my bag. So the germs from the floor got on your pad and are now in your bag. I must have a bit of a phobia. I have a hard time using the diaper stations too. Except for when it's cold, I'll opt for the car or use my stroller if available.

edited typo

vonfirmath
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
MUCH worse things are in my diaper bag since I have to put dirty diapers back in there. I TRY to bag them first... but sometimes I don't have bags with me.

lorinick
12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Totally. That's just not OK. Even if your baby is 10 days old.

I have been to many places without changing tables and I'll use the sink if possible, or the changing pad and my jacket on the floor. And wash everyone's hands really well!

I find that more gross than changing a pee diaper in a booth of a rest. on a small infant. I would never put my baby on the floor and wouldn't even think of laying my jacket/coat dry clean only on the floor. No Way.

I would likely go to my car. But never on the floor. I also would not be grossed out if I saw someone change a newborn on a chair. But that's just me.

lorinick
12-16-2008, 03:26 PM

I don't think I would excpect Hooter's would have a changing table. Not a family place. Good wings!

HIU8
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I always change DD's diaper in the car when we are out and there are no facilities inside to do so. I do it all the time when we travel.

pinay
12-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I've laid my jacket and changing pad down on the floor to change DD's diaper in the bathroom when a changing table hasn't been available, but I hate doing it. And every time I do, I think that we need a federal law or something that mandates changing stations in any restaurant that targets families as their customer base.

MamaMolly
12-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I change DD in my lap while I sit on the toilet in a case like this. When DD was a newborn I asked my cousin who has 3 kiddos what she did in a similar situation. I figured if she could change her 16 month old that way I could do teenie-tiny DD. DD is over 2 and we still do it when we have to.

Just get out your wipes and a dipe, put your changing pad on your lap, lay DC on your lap and have at it.

Sometimes DD will brace her hand on the wall but she does well. We were recently in a bathroom so mind numbingly disgusting that I wouldn't let DD touch ANYTHING and I think I freaked her out a little with my skreeches of DON'T TOUCH!!

pastrygirl
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh, I know but I could never get past the idea that then I folded the pad up (side that was on dirty surface or floor facing out) and then put in back in my bag. So the germs from the floor got on your pad and are now in your bag. I must have a bit of a phobia. I have a hard time using the diaper stations too. Except for when it's cold, I'll opt for the car or use my stroller if available.

edited typoThis is why I switched to disposable changing pads (the kind meant for incontinence -- like the ones they use at the hospital). Even if it touches a fold-down changing table, I don't want it touching my diaper bag again!