PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club for the first time....help!

bluestarfish18
12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
We're tailing a friend to Sam's Club for the first time today. Anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm a diehard Costco fan, and love their Kirkland wipes...anything like that there?

Melaine
12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
The big plastic buckets of organic dark salad are FABULOUS. I never thought I would rave about salad but it is SUCH a bargain and you simply will not believe how fresh it is and how long it lasts. (I know that sounds silly, but I'm telling you, there is enough salad to feed 15 people in there and it will last for over a week!). I think the price is around $4.
Another thing we find a great bargain is the big pineapple cans. $3.50 maybe and it's HUGE. We use it for smoothies, desserts, etc. I've even frozen it. The other canned fruit all seems to have HFCS so I stear clear.
Cheese. The big block of cheddar is maybe $13? It is a HUGE block of cheese and it is so nice to have enough and shred myself to avoid processed cheese. Some of the other frozen items are good too. There are some great frozen appetizer type things if you are entertaining in the next couple weeks.
I haven't been to Costco so some of these may be available there too.

bluestarfish18
12-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah! I never thought I'd be excited togo to a grocery store..thanks!

DietCokeLover
12-16-2008, 07:01 PM
In the frozen food section, look for the Organic Rustic Artisan Bread loaves. YUMMMM

o_mom
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
It's hard to come up with stuff because most of the stuff we get is either available at Costco as well (milk, cheese, etc.) or one time purchases like microfiber towels, books, etc.

We do love the three color tortellini in the fresh case, but that varies by store. We get sposies there when we use them - they are a good deal and work well for us. Have fun!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I love our sams. Maybe it's because we've got about 15 of them in our area and only 2 costco's. But I buy all our meat there and am always impressed with the quatlity,so much better than the grocery store and I can get special cuts if I'm willing to wait. The milk price can't be beat, I buy the big bag of precut romaine lettuce for salads and it lasts for the week it takes for us to go through it if I don't decide to have a hot veggie.

Oh-the gallon price on tropicana oj is good too. They carry a local spaghetti sauce in a 4 pack that we buy,muffins(yum yum), I don't by soda there because we buy 2 liters not cans but I do buy 2packs of luizianne decaf tea bags there and a HUGE bag of splenda for ice tea. The holiday stuff is out right now so you could get a good deal on walnuts and peanuts.

We buy disposables there and once dd2 is born we'll buy wipes there as well until ds is pt'd. I don't know about there store brand but I guess there on par with any other store brand. Oh-and recently our store started carrying gerber fruits and veggies.

We like the general tso's chicken and the chicken egg rolls for a quick dinner,the prices on cheese are good like the pp said. They have tyson all natural boneless skinless chicken breasts. They have cases of yogurts,we get the regular yoplait but you can get the all natural dannon as well.

Have fun shopping.

Melaine
12-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh yes and raisins. We love raisins for baking and the girls eat them like crazy. The big double bags are a good price (I think).

shawnandangel
12-16-2008, 11:47 PM
We buy the refridgerated pink grapefruit. Dannon brand maybe? It's awesome!

If you formula feed you get a 34 ounce powdered Similac for $27. Here in TN that's $7 cheaper than it would cost us at Kroger where Similac is 97cents/ounce. This would be even greater if they took the 5.00 checks but they don't. (Which I think is crap)

Dog Rawhide bones. A big bag of them is like $10 and since we have 3 big dogs (mastiff, lab, dalmation) this saves us big!

I agree with pp. Their meat is very very good. Better than Kroger. We buy it, split it up into ziplock bags and date and freeze it.

edit: We also buy precooked turkey sausage flavored with tomatoe. yummy. There is also a precooked Emeril brand with spinach which is good as well.

DH buys whole bean coffee.

Lauren, I just saw your dc due in March will be named Makena. That is my BIL's name but spelled McKenna. Although it looks like dc will be a girl? And your spelling is definately better since the Mc stands for "son of" :) LOL can you guess my FIL's name?

srhs
12-16-2008, 11:51 PM
If you formula feed you get a 34 ounce powdered Similac for $27. Here in TN that's $7 cheaper than it would cost us at Kroger where Similac is 97cents/ounce. This would be even greater if they took the 5.00 checks but they don't. (Which I think is crap)

My Sams takes Similac checks! They get flustered ringing them sometimes, so I just have to remind them to run as a payment.