PDA

View Full Version : If your girls are close in age do you get them matching dolls or different ones?

teeniebeenie6
12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
If your daughters are close in age do you get them matching dolls or different ones? I bought two different Zapf dolls from the huge Amazon sale, they have different functions, one gets sick and you can make it better, the other kisses and says bye bye.

My daughters are 21 months and almost 3. Do you think I'm smart to get each girl one of each doll or to give them each one of the different dolls and let them share? I'm new to this whole doll buying thing. We didn't have plastic dolls before because of the risk of lead and phthalates but now I've found a few European owned companies who make sure their dolls don't have either.

Melaine
12-16-2008, 10:52 PM
I debate this often....lol.....I am hoping down the road we will be able to deviate but the plan for now is identical or VERY similar dolls (like different colors). My twins are 26 months. It definitely hasn't been a problem for them to have the same exact dolls so far....(they use them interchangeably, ykwim?) Then again, they do have princess dolls that are the same kind of doll, just one is Belle, one Cinderella, and they don't have a problem with those. They never forget which on belongs to which one of them!
If a doll does or says something I kind of tend to wonder if that would be an issue for my girls....like I can see DD1 getting mad that her doll doesn't say "bye bye" like DD2's doll.

I don't know....let us know what you do!

bubbaray
12-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I *was* going with the similar in looks to each DD. That worked when DD#1 was super-blonde and blue-eyed and DD#2 had darker hair and brown eyes. Now, DD#1's hair is going a bit darker (though still blonde) and DD#2's hair is getting lighter.

DH got them Bitty Twins from Santa. He got one blonde and one brunette. Not sure how that is going to go over. Hopefully well -- he will be TICKED as they weren't cheap!

Melaine
12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I think the Bitty Twins are so adorable. I know I will want to do them when my DDs are a little older.

bubbaray
12-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed in them. *I* prefer the Corolle 14" Toddler dolls. They are "warmer" plastic. The BT feel harder. I'd try them out IRL before you buy. I really love the Corolle dolls. HOwever, DD#1 got the AG catalog and, well, you know how that goes....

Melaine
12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Hmmm....yes the catalogs are the magic! I haven't seen any Corolle dolls IRL or BT come to think of it. I am really kicking myself for not getting the Tidoo doll when she was really cheap on Babycenter. Now I've overspent and bought several cheaper dolls so I can't buy more anyway!

MamaKath
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Given their ages... If the dolls are similar in appearance, I would get the boo-boo doll for the 3 year old and the blow kisses doll for the 21 month old. I agree with the PP about Corolle dolls, and I also love Gotz and Madame Alexander (especially Baby Huggums).

teeniebeenie6
12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Mama's for all your advice! :kisscheek: I ended up just keeping the two. The price went up that same day so that helped concrete my choice.

Given their ages... If the dolls are similar in appearance, I would get the boo-boo doll for the 3 year old and the blow kisses doll for the 21 month old. I agree with the PP about Corolle dolls, and I also love Gotz and Madame Alexander (especially Baby Huggums).
I've decided to take your advice and give the boo boo doll to my older DD and the blow kisses to my younger. They do look alot a like, they just have different outfits and accessories.

I LOVE Corolle dolls. I went a little crazy with them, Amazon and Babycenter had insane deals on them. I am super interested in Gotz dolls. I saw one on Amazon that is SO adorable. I can't afford one now but am saving up for one. Do you know a better place to buy them?

MamaKath
12-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Not sure where you live, but there is a toy sale near my folks in Northern NJ a couple times a year. They have insane deals on Gotz dolls. You can also try Tuesday Morning stores; they sometimes have them.