PDA

View Full Version : DS is too clever, and I'm in trouble

niccig
12-17-2008, 06:05 PM
DS has always been a good problem solver. He could open all the baby gates or drawer locks at 18 months old. At 2 yo, we were by a friends car, he took her keys and sat in the driver's seat, and then turned the car on. At 3.5, he could take the house keys and open the door for me when we get home. But yesterday takes the cake. - he put the dyson vaccum cleaner back together. :47:

I had taken the filter out to wash and was letting it dry. He wanted to vacuum and I told him we had to wait. After he went to bed last night, I couldn't find the filter. He had taken the filter, put it in it's plastic case, put the plastic case back into the dyson and clipped the plastic outer piece back into place. This vacuum cleaner confuses adults, yet my 4 yo did it. I'm scared at what's next..and I know not to leave him alone with the dyson, as he could disassemble the entire thing!

brittone2
12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
DS has always been a good problem solver. He could open all the baby gates or drawer locks at 18 months old. At 2 yo, we were by a friends car, he took her keys and sat in the driver's seat, and then turned the car on. At 3.5, he could take the house keys and open the door for me when we get home. But yesterday takes the cake. - he put the dyson vaccum cleaner back together. :47:

I had taken the filter out to wash and was letting it dry. He wanted to vacuum and I told him we had to wait. After he went to bed last night, I couldn't find the filter. He had taken the filter, put it in it's plastic case, put the plastic case back into the dyson and clipped the plastic outer piece back into place. This vacuum cleaner confuses adults, yet my 4 yo did it. I'm scared at what's next..and I know not to leave him alone with the dyson, as he could disassemble the entire thing!

LOL!! That's a great skill to capitalize on though as he gets older :) I know homeschoolers who dissect appliances (with electrical cords cut off and safety measures taken). Maybe that's something he'd enjoy down the road!

LarsMal
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Wow!

Can you send him to my house?! My filter really needs to be cleaned and I can never figure out how to put it all back together (or get it apart sometimes)- push, pull, twist? It's all so confusing!!! ;)

hellokitty
12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Lol, what a smart kid! I may need his help when I take my vacuum cleaner apart. I have always left it up to my DH to deal with it, b/c it looks like a big hassle, lol.

khm
12-17-2008, 06:23 PM
We have a family friend like this. At 5 he'd be down at my dad's workshop building all manner of seriously impressive cars, robots and whatnot with junk he'd find laying around. They'd move, they looked like a craftsman built them, not a 5 year old. It was insane. Neither of his parents have the least of mechanical skills, it's a mystery!

pinkmomagain
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Wow, he is clearly very talented in the area of mechanics. I would try to channel his energies in this area toward good, not evil! In otherwords, let him explore things that are appropriate so that he won't go looking for things that aren't!

gatorsmom
12-17-2008, 08:18 PM
wow. What a smart kid! And definitely handy to have around. Maybe you can send him over to fix our refrigerator. The dang repairman has been out 3 times and hasn't figured it out....