PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any Bocce Ball players?

MarisaSF
12-20-2008, 12:22 PM
My BIL has asked for a "Beach Bocce Ball" set for Christmas. I am out of my element. I found some online in the $80-100 range, which is fine, but I have no idea what I'm looking for or even where to look. And is that really what one needs to cost to be decent? Can he use a regular Bocce Ball set, or is there something about the beach-specific ones that you need to play on sand.

He lives near the beach, but AFAIK, is not a serious competitor.

If you have any recs for brand, or even just a place to buy one, I'd really appreciate any info. TIA! DH is the king of last-minute shopping.

pb&j
12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
They may be hard to come by in a B&M store this time of year, but I'd check Dick's sporting goods (or similar). They do have them online, as does Amazon.

We play at the beach w/DH's family, and have never used a beach-specific set. We've just used whatever set we got at Walmart or other big box store. Sorry to be so vague! I know that Target usually puts theirs on sale in the summer for $20. I am pretty confident you can find a decent set in the $50 range.

GL!

MarisaSF
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Ry. DH is set on this one: http://www.beachbocceball.com/shop.php?m=product_detail&p=4
:rolleye0014:

Yeah, I would have thought $20-40 range too. I just want to be DONE shopping. :)

clb
12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Looks like the beach set is lighter than a standard set. It says that the shipping weight is 12lbs. Normally, each ball is 2lbs. It makes sense if it was too heavy, it wouldn't roll well on the sand.
I think the standard colors would be harder to see in the sand compared to the colors of the set you linked to. I'm guessing those are the differences.

I'm not a competitor, but I have a set and love to play when I can get to a real court.