PDA

View Full Version : I've lost my wedding ring and could really use some good thoughts...

inmypjs
12-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't usually post a lot about personal matters, but I am just beside myself about losing my wedding ring this week. It's the usual story of DH and I looking everywhere with no results. I know that it may turn up yet, but I am really heartbroken! I've been crying a lot, which I feel silly about, but I can't seem to help it. It is insured, but in my mind a new ring would never quite be the same. I've been trying to remind myself that as long as my family is safe and well, that is all that truly matters. I really need to get myself together about this! I'd appreciate any thoughts and prayers of members here...

Katie

mytwosons
12-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I hope you find it soon!

I think it might have been Liza who lost her ring only to find it quite some time (over a year?) later. Don't give up hope!

khm
12-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Do you remember where you last had it at all?

An antique ring my SIL wears came off as the was throwing the recycling into the bin. She backtracked and checked there, and it was still in between newspapers.

Have you checked all the garbage? Even if you don't think it's there, I'd want to check before it goes out and you spend all eternity wondering if it was in there.

An elderly family friend lost her very large expensive diamond ring. She told her sons, who pushed her to file the insurance. She balked. She had apparently cancelled the insurance a few years ago. A couple months later, she found it. She never did say where, I figure it was somewhere fairly obvious and she was embarrassed. Her sons promptly called the insurance agent and had it insured for her.

Have you gone through the toy boxes? A neighbor was wearing a pretty ring one day and I commented on it, she said it was a fake she had forever and was wearing because her daughter had hid her ring and she had yet to find it. She did find it a week or so later.

Nooknookmom
12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Don't feel silly crying! My ring slipped off one day in the grocery store, I flipped. I ran back in, grabbed the manager & we tore the produce section apart (where I thought it may have fell off). After looking in the store, on the floor, in the grocery bags and in my car, it ended up being in a tiny pocket in my diaper bag.

Recently my neighbor came over asking if he could search my yard, for his wife's wedding ring. We looked all over and no luck. She was crying and upset too.

Just keep retracing your steps and just maybe it will turn up in the most unusual place!!! I am soo sorry!

noodle
12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I hope it appears promptly! A missing wedding ring can be so stressful.

DH lost his band and we eventually (begrudgingly on my part) had it replaced. The original ring appeared in the laundry about 6 YEARS later.

Fingers crossed that recovery is much quicker for you!

inmypjs
12-20-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't remember the last time I had it on, which is totally freaking me out. I do remember exactly when I noticed it wasn't on my hand. That's pretty typical though - I feel really weird without it and in the past have noticed right away when I don't have it on...

We've gone through toy boxes/baskets, laundry, looked behind and under furniture, and down various drains. I have done several garbage cans but not all. I also just got done cutting open the vacuum cleaner bag and am preparing to go through that... ugggh.

Melaine
12-20-2008, 04:03 PM
So sorry! I know how upsetting that can be. I lost the diamond out of my ring three years ago on Christmas Eve. We were at the beautiful Christmas Eve Candlelight service that I love and I looked down and the diamond was gone. I was even more upset because it belonged to DH's mother who has passed away.
I am praying that you will find it swiftly, but until then your heart will be at ease and you will be able to enjoy the holiday season!

khm
12-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Check also your jeans, mittens and coat pockets. My fingers are a lot smaller in cold weather. I've had rings come off in my jeans pockets before (not my wedding ring, but fashion rings).

It's cold and dry... have you put lotion on? Someplace odd like in the car?

If you are worried that they've gone through the washing machine, most have a "coin catcher" that keeps things that get sucked down the drain from going into the motor.....

Rainbows&Roses
12-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Hope you find it!

My SIL lost hers for 3 months and it ended up being in the pickle jar. She was making party preparations and it slipped off. When she was cleaning out the fridge months later, she dumped the pickle juice down the drain and fortunately had a strainer in the drain which captured the ring!

So you never know!

inmypjs
12-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words! We just finished taking apart another sink drain pipe...but nothing. I have to think that it is somewhere weird, like in all these stories. I just hope it surfaces sooner and not later. I am still weepy but not as bad as this morning...

Emmas Mom
12-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll send you lots of good thoughts if you'll send them to me....I've lost mine too!!!! Thankfully it wasn't my engagement ring but I have a matching wedding ring with four small stones on it & it's nowhere to be found. I had them together, my engagement ring was there but no wedding ring. It's got to be around here somewhere but I've yet to find it. We haven't checked the sink yet but I'm going to see if my FIL can do it tomorrow.

Here's hoping they both turn up for us!!!

shawnandangel
12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Sending good wishes to you! Don't give up hope!

overcome
12-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Are you Christian? I'm catholic and we say a prayer to St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost things and missing persons:

Tony, Tony look around
I've lost my ring and it can't be found.

Honestly....I have found so many lost items before the words were out of my mouth.

GL and keep us posted.

wendibird22
12-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Wishing you luck and hope you find it. My brother lost his in the kids diaper bag. He didn't want to tell my SIL that he lost it so he bought another one (my uncle is a jeweler). Months later SIL was cleaning out the diaper bag and found it. Of course brother had a ring on so she caught him in the lie!

A few years ago DH and I were out to dinner with another couple on a snowy night. The husband went out to brush snow off the car. He was gone quite a long time so his wife, DH, and I went outside to see what was going on and found him on his hands and knees in the parking lot trying to find his ring in the snow. It had fallen off as he was brushing off the car. He backed out his car and had his headlights on and just as we were about to give up he found it.

I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere.

hez
12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug:

I lost my engagement ring too, and I know that awful feeling. I hope it turns up for you!

ThreeofUs
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Good luck! It will turn up! Just keep looking.

And don't feel silly about being upset. I lost my ring (I thought, it was actually in my jewelry box, LOL) and I totally freaked out. I was crying and just about insane. I felt really silly - but SO relieved - when I took every. single. thing. out of my jewelry box and *then* found it.

irie i
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

kijip
12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
:hug: That is never fun. Mine was lost, in plain sight, for a couple of weeks. It was on top of the never used bathroom thermostat of all places and we just never looked there.

Now that I am 36 weeks along with those late pregnancy water fattened fingers, I am compulsive about keeping my set on a chain around my neck all the time. I just know if I take them off and set them down, they will be gone by the time my hands are normal again.

inmypjs
12-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I can't thank all of you enough for writing everything...it is really validating and helpful to hear all of this! Especially those who said it is ok to be emotional. Kristine, I will send good thoughts to you too!

To answer a few questions, I was raised Catholic but do not actively practice. I have heard of praying to St. Anthony for lost things, and today my mother sent me a prayer to St. Jude who is the patron saint of hopeless causes! I don't think she meant any offense by that, she just knows how desperate I am. I did say the prayers out loud, but if I were them I don't know if I'd help me, seeing that I'm only praying now that I need something LOL.

I probably should have explained that my ring is actually very tight fitting. It often takes a bit of effort to get it off. Although nothing can be certain, I am fairly positive that I took the ring off and put it somewhere. In 10 years it has never slipped off on its own. I just can't seem to remember. There is also the possibility that our cat batted it around somewhere, or that my toddler took it - though she seems to know when things are not for her and usually brings them to me.

DH and I have started a systematic room by room search now - on top of all the places we already looked. This evening we did one room for about a half hour. Tomorrow we will be doing more. I have to believe that if it is in this house we will find it! If it is not, then I really don't know...

jacksmomtobe
12-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I hope you find it. There definitely is hope. One evening I had put my wedding & engagement rings in my pocket while getting the kids reading for bed. I had to put lotion on one of the kids so I took it off. I'm a bit imfamous for putting things in my pocket until I can put them in a proper place. Well I had some napkins or tissues from the kids also in my pockets & I went to throw them out and clink I heard something which turned out to be my engagement ring. I then said oh my I'd better check to make sure my wedding band didn't fall in there too. Well my band wasn't in the garbage can nor was it still in my pocket. My band is a diamonds all around but it is super light. I was freaking out especially since we have old wood floors which in some spots have big gaps. I checked all the rooms on our 2nd floor especially ds's room where I put the lotion on with a fine tooth comb & came up with nothing. I told our once a month cleaners that I had lost it in case they heard a clink when they vacuumed. Nothing. The one day about 2 weeks after the cleaners had come I was on the first floor by the stairs and found it in a canvas bag. It must have fallen downstairs and landed in the bag. I had completely given up hope & was so happy to have found my ring. I was lucky it didn't land in one of the nearby heating vents. So I really hope that you find your ring and have a similiar story to tell.

updacountry
12-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Try to rethink the day and what you did. I usually do this when I'm about to go to sleep so my mind is clear. I lost a really expensive snowsuit outfit someone bought for my daughter. It has been 2 years since I saw it and it won't fit anymore but I am still on a mission to find it. I can remember putting it somewhere and saying to myself that as soon as it gets cold again it will be right there to grab. Needless to say the person who gave it to me does not remember doing it, I can't find any trace of the picture I took of DD in it and everyone thinks I'm crazy!

I WILL find it and prove them all wrong, one day! I hope.

bubbaray
12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Sending you "find my ring" thoughts! GL!

inmypjs
12-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Another morning of searching room by room with no luck. The low point was definitely the diaper pail... I need to do my car next but with the high temp being -1 today I may save that for another day. Thanks again for all the good thoughts. I am still hoping they will pay off!

Happy 2B mommy
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I lost my engagement ring last year. Like you, sometimes I take my ring off (It's not soddered to my wedding ring) and suddenly I realized that I hadn't worn it in a while. It wasn'[t in any of the usual spots. I felt guilty, panicked, and so very sad. Going without my ring last Christmas was really awful. DH was great, helped me look, told me it was insured, told me to wear a ring he gave me the year before on our anniversary instead (even 'proposed' when he did that). Finially I just accepted that it was gone. Nearly 4 months later I had a little meltdown and told DH how it still bothered me. He walked over to the recliner (we already looked between the cushions of all the furniture and under everything) and turned the whole chair upsidedown and shook it. We heard something rattle and out it came! He said something just told him to do that! We are not particularly religious. He said he wished that there was something he could do to make me feel better and that's what came in his head to do!

If you are fairly certain it is lost somewhere in the house and feel it is unlikely it slipped off accidently, it probably will turn up -- Probably after you decide it's gone for good. In the meantime, I hope you feel better.

kayte
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
My husband lost his only to have it show up in the rubbery ring around the door of the washing machine 6 months later. We aren't sure if it was in with the laundry or if it came off when he had his hands in the washer (you know back when you are first married they help with that stufff...lol!!!). But we looked EVERYWHERE and it just appeared one day. SO don't give up that it won't just show up!

Twoboos
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Seriously, it could show up. Years ago my mom lost the stone from a very sentimental ring her parents had given her. We turned her house upside down looking for it, to no avail. Then about a year later I found it in the crease of the carpet between the floor and the first step going to the 2nd floor. And we had vaccumed regularly in that year, I swear!! but I saw a little sparkle and there it was - crazy.

Good luck, prayers to you.

daisyd
12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Hope you find the ring soon, Kate!

Daisy