PDA

View Full Version : What to bring back from London

AdiMom
12-20-2008, 08:28 PM
So we are taking the kids (2 and 6) to London for the holidays. We are there for 12 days, so I figure I will get plenty of time for some shopping.

What would you suggest bringing back? I am interested in cosmetics, food, kids clothes, clothes for me, kids books, anything else you can think of.

And while we are there, are there any must eat dishes? We are going to try a lot of Indian food and pub food. Anything else we should not miss?

I am struggling with deciding if we want to take the 2 year old to a West End theatre. He can sit though movies like Madagascar and Cars. The West End shows seem much longer, though with a break. If you have any opinions about this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks a bunch. Here is hoping for good weather:-)

deannanb
12-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Singalong Sound of Music! (Prince Charles Theatre)
http://www.singalonga.net/soundofmusic/index.html

I think a 2 year old is too young for theatre! (but plenty of movies out there)

and eating - Wagamama is my favorite!
picnic/camp bench style seating - order taken wirelessly
http://www.wagamama.com/
yum!

you can find all sorts of fun food to bring home from the grocery storey -
Tesco!

bubbaray
12-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Cadbury chocolate, Kindersurprise, tea. Check out Harrods. Is Marks & Spenser's still in business??

Burberry trench for yourself, matching scarf.

I've never had good food in England LOL.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Go to the Doc Marten's store, if you like them. I have a pair of maryjanes I bought in 2000! Go to Boot's drugstore, lots of cool stuff!

crayonblue
12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
We bought socks and underwear at Marks and Spencer in 2000 and they are just now starting to fall apart- LOL!

MontrealMum
12-20-2008, 09:14 PM
I LOVE London :heartbeat: It is my absolute favorite city, I lived there when I was in my 20s.

Must do shopping for me is: Marks and Spencer (especially the Food Hall if you want something to take home), Selfridge's, and the Scotch House for tartan scarves and other woolens (if you're Scottish, if not, maybe not). For shoes: Pied-a-terre. There is a Doc Marten's store in Covent Garden.

I also like French Connection, Oasis, and Monsoon. H&M, which is Swedish, is much larger and they have more stock in the European stores. Here is a link that I just googled for my favorite shopping neighborhood: http://www.oxfordstreet.co.uk/ I don't know if Laura Ashley is still around, but if they are, and you have girls, I might check them out as well as Liberty (off Picadilly) for cute English-style prints. For really affordable trendy items I like TopShop. You might also want to check out the quirky boutiques around the Notting Hill area. I know they have a fairly big cosmetics dept. in Selfridge's, although I think a lot of the Euro stuff is available in the US now. You might want to check out Harvey Nichols http://www.harveynichols.com/output/Page143.asp for that sort of thing. I couldn't afford to shop there when I lived there, but Eddie and Pats are always talking about it in AbFab so it might have what you're looking for.

You used to be able to get great deals on things like Wedgewood, Waterford and others, but I think a lot of that has disappeared with the internet.

The British Museum is a must-see, although you now have to pay extra to see the Rosetta Stone. I don't know how many museums you're up for with little kids, but there are tons and they're all wonderful. If you go to the V&A archives section you can ask to see the original drawings for Winnie the Pooh by EH Shepherd - they will bring out a popular selection of them to show you. Again, not sure if this is great for someone with young kids, but it's a pretty cool thing. There are also quite a few famous toysellers - you should get an "official" Paddington! - the one I remember off the top of my head is Hamley's - I think it's near Harrod's. Hatchard's is one of the big old booksellers, but there are tons including Puffin/Penguin press stores, and many independant and used booksellers.

As for eating, I'm with Melissa, it's hard to do in England, but my recommendations would be LOTS of curries, fish & chips, and traditional cream tea (though you might not want to try a tearoom with a 2 yr. old). And hard cider - for the adults!

St. Pancras station is the site of platform 9 3/4 from Harry Potter - it's across from King's Cross.

amldaley
12-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Marks & Spencer for affordable clothes and foods from the Food Hall (groceries)

Boots for cosmetics

BHS, British Home Stores, for clothes

John Lewis for household goods, gift items, paper goods...I love the stationary dept and kitchenwares...I always bring kitchen gadgets back

Street Vendors along Oxford St...my favorite scarf ever came from here

Camden town burned down a while ago but still some specialty shops there

Notting Hill for atmospheric boutique shopping

Selfridges - pricey but lovely..hit the clothing clearance racks.

Liberty's - the ultimate - window shopping only...gorgeous!

Carnaby Street behind Libertys for funky stuff

Tesco or Sainsburys grocery for candy...I prefer Sainsbury. Cadbury chocolate sold in U.S. is made by Hershey...get thereal stuff in England. Chocolate buttons are fun. I love Tunnocks caramel wafers.

Be aware, even basics are pricey there and sizes run small. My family is in London, I used to go every two or three years and my mother goes every year. Don't bother buying stuff you could just as easily get here in the states. Stationary, cards, kitchen gadgets are usually "different".

Neatfreak
12-21-2008, 06:20 AM
We went to London for the holidays last year, and my daughter was 3.5 years old. She was too young for the theatre (the theatres have a rule that kids have to be four years), but we enjoyed a few Christmas pantomines (as far I could tell, plays for kids with audience involvement). The Gruffalo's Child was a lot of fun.

The British Museum completely bored her, but the Museum of Natural History was very fun. I think that Victoria & Albert might be more interesting for little ones as well.

Hyde Park ought to have a frost fair, with rides for small children.

We were able to visit Father Christmas at Harrod's due to some no-shows (asked at the Christmas Grotto check-in), and my DD met the best Santa ever. The perfect combination of grandfatherly/Prof. Dumbledore/etc. It was magicial even for me!

Eat mince pies and spiced wine!

mommy111
12-21-2008, 09:02 AM
I second Hamley's for toys, it is a toy heaven! I still have a monkey sits at your shoulder puppet that I bought there years ago and that I fully intend to pass on to my kids as well as several beautiful wooden puppets that we've bought there. It is a beauuuuutiful store, we go there every time we go to London.
Also, their kids' clothes are very unique and very different!

AdiMom
12-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Wonderful advice. Now I have so much shopping to do.

I can imagine my 2 year old enjoying Natural History Museum more than the British Museum:-) We are planning to spend at least a whole day, maybe more at the Natural History Museum.

I have 2 boys BTW.

Thanks again.

CAM7
12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
and eating - Wagamama is my favorite!

YES! I miss Wagamamas'... *sniffle*.

If Khans is still around try that... it was some of the best curry I had while there. http://www.khansrestaurant.com/mainpage.php

I dunno if I'd bring back too much...such a hassle getting it back on the plane and through customs and all. But my favs... hobnobs, wine gums, caburys...

Everyone has given good suggestions...don't forget the zoo!

Where will you be staying?

If your kids are good travelers you may want to consider taking Eurostar (now moved to St Pancras I guess.. ) to Paris for a day or two...

CAM7
12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Also... pick up a "Let's Go - London" travel book... written by Harvard kids but still a good travel resource for everyone. It's not over inflated and 'fakey' about what to expect like some of the other mainstream travel books...

ThreeofUs
12-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Raincoats - they have wondeful, stylish coats there.

Also British Museum toys. Always fun and awesome for gifts.

mommylamb
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I LOVE London!!!! DH is a brit, and I met him when I was living there. I'll second waggamamas as a great cheap eats place (going out to eat can be pricey). If you want to go to a cheap pub, there's a chain called weatherspoons that you should check out. Beer will cost you half as much there than in any other pub.

Check out the markets for great shopping. Camden market is the big touristy one, and it is fantastic as a tourist, but the other markets are so much fun!!! I lived close to Borough High Street market, which has incredible gormet food. I just love market shopping. So much more fun than chain stores.

But, as chain stores go, we love Next. DH thinks that most American stores for men are really not very fashionable, and Next has great guys clothes. I also like their women's clothes for myself, and my MIL just brought over a whole bunch of Next kids clothes for DS when she visited last month. For myself, I also really love Monsoon. The clothes are very feminine.

Have a wonderful time!!! I'm super jealous!

ETA: Get an A to Z to help you get around!! Also, we always bring back chocolate when we go to the UK. I love crunchies and flakes.

mommylamb
12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Speaking of Wagamama's... I saw that they've opened 3 restaurants in Boston... oh please come to DC....

mommy111
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Ooooh, second Khan's, we love that place!!!!! I think the owners are originally from Pakistan, which we had the opportunity to visit recently while working in China, and their food is more Pakistan/Northern Indian style, made from scratch, high on flavor, and less likely to sit heavy on your stomach. Ummmm, you've brought back some great memories. Note to self: Next flight back to China, make stopover in London :)

AdiMom
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I was beginning to get a little worried about the trip what with a 2 year old and going in December. But I am so excited now hearing from all of you. We can alway hit one of the stores recommended here when it starts raining:-)

baileygirl
12-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I'll 4th or 5th Wagamama's too! I like Tower of London and the Science Museum.

lilycat88
12-23-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm sure you can get it stateside somewhere but when we got ours about 2 years ago, it was outrageously expensive compared to what it cost in England. A friend of mine picked it up at what he called the "British equivalent to Target or Walmart". It's a hit at our house.

http://www.bunnyclock.com/index.html