PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on washing a quilt

wendibird22
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm looking for advice on washing a quilt. It is machine quilted (not hand sewn) and made with 100% cotton materials. My issue is that some of the quilt patches are made from old tshirts (not REALLY old, like 15yr old). I noticed this year when I took it out of the linen closet that some of the patches made from white tshirts are very yellowed. And even a lighter grey tshirt patch is also looking yellow. My other challenge is that the majority of the material used as the boarder and background (which the tshirt patches are quilted to) is a very deep maroon color. I'd estimate that about 1/2 the quilt is of this material. So I am also terrified of the maroon color running onto the white and turning it all pink. Although perhaps pink is better than yellow!

So, I'd welcome any advice on how to go about laundering this quilt to
a)get the yellow out of the white and
b)keeping the red dye from running. I'm thinking those color catchers from Shout are my best here.

neeleymartin
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
quilters, most, if not all, wash their fabric before making a quilt. i wouldn't worry about bleeding. i would wash in the delicate cycle in cold water with oxiclean and woolite. color catchers wouldn't hurt, but may be unnecessary.

i would tumble dry low. good luck.

Snow mom
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
If you have one you could use (a friend's maybe?) I'd recommend washing in a high efficiency machine with high efficiency detergent. These machines lack the agitator that can tear up quilts and I believe the detergent is formulated to trap colors that run.

~Lisa

kellyd
12-27-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't have any made of older materials but I do have a quilt that is also machine stitched and the entire backing, binding and borders are deep pinks and maroons. The center of the quilt is a ton of little 1 1/2" squares a good many of which are mostly white or pale colors. I wash it in my washing machine and use regular detergent, cold water and sometimes oxy clean. Then toss in the dryer. I've never had a problem and have had this quilt for almost 7 years.

thomma
12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
You could try a Shout Color Catcher if you're worried about colors running. They're supposed to prevent discoloring/running colors in the laundry. I use them from time to time when I'm afraid one color is going to run into something lighter.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

dixiefoxtrot
12-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I second what Kim and Lisa said. If you don't have a front load HE washer yourself...a laundromat will. I would use the color catcher. If you have the option on the machine you use, use a 2nd rinse and extra spin. My mother always used a white vinegar rinse to "set" colors on her quilting material...I don't know how valid that is.

sarahsthreads
12-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I second what Kim and Lisa said. If you don't have a front load HE washer yourself...a laundromat will. I would use the color catcher. If you have the option on the machine you use, use a 2nd rinse and extra spin. My mother always used a white vinegar rinse to "set" colors on her quilting material...I don't know how valid that is.
White vinegar is also used to set the dyes in hand-dyed yarn, so it should help with fabrics as well - if it were me I'd go with both the color catcher sheet and the white vinegar in the rinse water.

Sarah :)