PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Christmas Cookies their freshest

jacksmomtobe
12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Starting to bake tons of Christmas cookies and was thinking about what is the best way to keep them fresh & tasting as good as the day they were made (or at least close). Does anyone have any tips? I'm posting here rather than cooking since this gets read more & I'm trying to get a quick response as the baking begins...

alien_host
12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I freeze mine, I put waxed paper between the layers so they don't stick to each other and put them in a tupperware type container (not a tin because that seems to keep them fresher).

shawnandangel
12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with freezing, also if you're gonna eat them soon, an airtight container in the fridge works well.

bubbaray
12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
I freeze the majority and keep out small amounts in a tupperware container.

writermama
12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
For drop cookies like chocolate chip or oatmeal, I bake as many as we'll eat in a few days and then I freeze the dough.

To freeze cookie dough: I use a scoop to measure the dough into balls, freeze them on a tray for a few hours until they are solid, and then transfer the frozen dough into an airtight zip freezer bag. I use a sharpie to write the name of the cookie and the baking directions on the bag (i.e. "Oatmeal: 10-15 min at 375"). Frozen dough usually adds a few minutes to the baking time, but you get a warm, melting, right out of the oven cookie.

BeachBum
12-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I put them in tupperware with a slice of white bread.

I also agree with the freeze the dough, and bake in small batches when possible comments.

Melaine
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I tried the dough freezing thing and it worked great. I swear the cookies were better after we froze the dough....they were thicker!

egoldber
12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Yup, freeze the dough and just make a few at a time. And freezing almost always improved the texture. Dough that is too warm when you bake often makes for a much thinner, runnier cookie. :)

JMS
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
For drop cookies like chocolate chip or oatmeal, I bake as many as we'll eat in a few days and then I freeze the dough.

To freeze cookie dough: I use a scoop to measure the dough into balls, freeze them on a tray for a few hours until they are solid, and then transfer the frozen dough into an airtight zip freezer bag. I use a sharpie to write the name of the cookie and the baking directions on the bag (i.e. "Oatmeal: 10-15 min at 375"). Frozen dough usually adds a few minutes to the baking time, but you get a warm, melting, right out of the oven cookie.

Sorry to hijack but are you saying that you then bake them frozen and not let them defrost first??? I want to try this with my chocolate chips.

egoldber
12-23-2008, 12:15 PM
If you freeze them in a roll, you can just slice and bake. :)

Melaine
12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hijack but are you saying that you then bake them frozen and not let them defrost first??? I want to try this with my chocolate chips.

Yep, that's what she means. A sharp knife will cut the dough frozen too, so you don't actually have to freeze them in little balls (although that sounds very convenient). It only added maybe 3-5 minutes to mine the other day, and they came out thicker than usual, which was great. (Mine were choc chip too) Definitely do it...I was very pleased.

writermama
12-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Yep, that's what she means. A sharp knife will cut the dough frozen too, so you don't actually have to freeze them in little balls (although that sounds very convenient). It only added maybe 3-5 minutes to mine the other day, and they came out thicker than usual, which was great. (Mine were choc chip too) Definitely do it...I was very pleased.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just plunk the frozen balls of dough on the cookie sheet and put them in the oven.

bubbaray
12-23-2008, 01:09 PM
I've tried the frozen dough thing and end up eating it raw. LOL.

If you want to freeze the dough, you can either freeze it in a tub(a) and thaw it for drop cookies. Or you can freeze dropped or cut cookies on sheets and once frozen, put into ziploc bags. Or, you can freeze rolled cookies in a tube and cut frozen (easier to do than non-frozen, BTW).

Personally, I prefer to bake the cookies and then freeze. It just works better for me -- I freeze in small batches and pull them out about 1 hour before i need them... Or, just eat them frozen. LOL

Wife_and_mommy
12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Would these suggestions work for a cake too? My plan was to freeze the layers then frost/arrange Thurs .

TIA, knowledgeable ladies!

alien_host
12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Would these suggestions work for a cake too? My plan was to freeze the layers then frost/arrange Thurs .

TIA, knowledgeable ladies!

I think it would. I would wrap the layers in plastic wrap and maybe put in a ziplock so the cake doesn't dry out. I'd think the cake would dry out faster than the cookies.