PDA

View Full Version : What to expect for 4 y.o. pt eval?

KBecks
12-23-2008, 06:57 PM
We're going to a pt to check Alek's motor skills tomorrow - what should I tell him to expect?

ThreeofUs
12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh, good for you! I lurked on your other post and am happy to hear you're going for a check. At least it will set your mind at ease, at most will catch a problem before it grows, kwim?

Expect play. At least, most of the PT's I know use fun things for kids to do to check their skills. If you could tell him to be ready to talk to the nice PT about what he likes to do - and what he doesn't - that would be helpful.

happy2bamom
12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
The evaluation process is usually fun. Possibly an obstacle course, running, jumping, and climbing. The PT will watch him walk and play. My DS loves going to PT and enjoyed the evaluation too. Our evaluation also focused on building a relationship btwn DS and the PT. Good luck!

brittone2
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
It will mostly be play. If the PT is outgoing, friendly, and used to working with kids, it should actually border on being fairly fun!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

KBecks
12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
The PT office was nice with a big train table in the waiting room. Alek's appointment seemed to go well, the PT was nice and friendly and the room was full of gym equipment. She has no concerns about Alek's walking and running but said that his eye/hand coordination and throwing are at 40 months when he's 50 months old and that a few appointments and some home work will help catch him up. He did 4 sit-ups, which she was impressed with! I noticed him hopping and being a little silly and walking on his toes while working with her but it seemed to be more of an excitement kind of thing. The PT had no concerns and disagrees with the school report, which is a relief.

elephantmeg
12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm so glad it went well and that you don't have to worry through the holidays!

ThreeofUs
12-24-2008, 05:52 PM
The PT had no concerns and disagrees with the school report, which is a relief.

Excellent! :yay:

And a Merry Christmas to you!

brittone2
12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Glad it went well. It sounds like the PT alleviated many of your concerns :)