PDA

View Full Version : What movie for the kids on Xmas Day?

MarisaSF
12-24-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm thinking about taking the kids to the movies Xmas morning.

With a 4yo and a 19mo would you see:
-Tale of Despereaux? -- G, 1 hr 34 mins
-Bolt? -- PG ("some minor action and peril"), 1 hr 43 mins
-Marley and Me? (opens xmas day) -- PG ("thematic material, some sugggestive content, and language"), 2 hrs
-other?

ETA ratings and running time

Clarity
12-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Marley and Me might be too much of a tear-jerker. IIRC, I cried a good bit when reading the book. I say pick the mouse.

Clarity
12-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Sorry, duplicate post.

o_mom
12-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking about taking the kids to the movies Xmas morning.

With a 4yo and a 19mo would you see:
-Tale of Despereaux? -- G, 1 hr 34 mins
-Bolt? -- PG ("some minor action and peril"), 1 hr 43 mins
-Marley and Me? (opens xmas day) -- PG ("thematic material, some sugggestive content, and language"), 2 hrs
-other?

ETA ratings and running time

I know Desperaux got a G rating, but from someone on another board it is pretty intense. There is a death in the first 10 min, it is very dark and grim and she had to leave after 20 min with an almost 5 yo.
Bolt has a very intense start. We took DS1 and DS2 to see it. The first 10-15 min are intense chase scenes that you find out afterward are Bolt making a movie. I should have told DS1 this up front as he got overwhelmed with that, but after I had him close his eyes for a bit and told him it was not 'real', he was OK with it. He tends to over react though and won't watch Rudolph because of the snow monster.

Anyway, your child may be fine with something that someone else isn't, but keep that in mind.

alien_host
12-24-2008, 09:25 AM
We were going to take DD (3.5) to her first movie this weekend. I thought Madagascar 2 would be good b/c she loves "Alex and Marty" but it's not really playing near us any more.

I really wanted her first movie to be memorable and I was hoping something like Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, Little Mermaid would be out...you know along that caliber of a movie.

Does anyone think Bolt would fit the bill?????

Sorry to hijack, MarisaSF!

hellokitty
12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
My friend took her 9, 6 and 3 yr old to Despereux and said it was only OK.

lizajane
12-24-2008, 10:20 AM
i loved bolt. i was laughing! but i could see that it might scare a 19 month old. i went to see it with:
just turned 3 year old
almost 4 year old
4 year old
3 5 year olds.

(and a sleeping newborn.)

we were all happy.

KrystalS
12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
We saw Desperaux yesterday and it is a little scary in the beginning. My DD is 4, almost 5, she was okay once it was past the death. It was a little slow in the middle, she started getting bored but it picked up in the end.
We both loved Bolt. Very action packed though, might be too much for some kids.
Neither of us liked Madagascar.

MarisaSF
12-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks, all!
We saw Bolt. :)

If anyone has seen it can answer the question, "Why couldn't Penny's Daddy talk?" I'd be most grateful. My 4yo keeps asking me and I must have missed that scene while I was trying to distract my toddler from being too loud. I suggested "Did the bad guys cover his mouth?" and she is adamant that that is not it. Hmmm...

o_mom
12-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Could she be referring to the "dad" in the movie scenes? He was captured by Dr. Calico (evil guy) and said that "he'll never talk".

MarisaSF
12-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Could she be referring to the "dad" in the movie scenes? He was captured by Dr. Calico (evil guy) and said that "he'll never talk".

Thank you!! That's exactly it. I've regained credibility with my girl. ;)

Another question: is Dr. Calico the same as the green-eyed man? Or are they separate evil guys?

o_mom
12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Thank you!! That's exactly it. I've regained credibility with my girl. ;)

Another question: is Dr. Calico the same as the green-eyed man? Or are they separate evil guys?

They are the same. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Madagascar 2 would get my vote for anyone else who is still looking. There was one little bit of tenseness in the first 5-10 minutes and then that was it. The humor might go above their head a bit but it was fun for me and my family. Bolt made my ds and 3 of his friends cry (but he still liked it).

Beth

Corie
12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
We also really liked Bolt. It was a tad confusing for my son.
My son didn't get the movie within a movie concept.

We went on Christmas Eve and we were the only people seeing
Bolt. It was awesome!