PDA

View Full Version : newborn toys

slb
12-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi,

My DS is now 13 days old. Can't believe how much he changes everyday! I have a whole bunch of toys that say you can use 0+, but not really sure which ones i should use. Can i put him in the tiny love gymini? also, should i start tummy time yet? and is he to young for the swing? i have the graco deco model.

sorry, this is my first and some of these questions may sound crazy, but i just want to make sure i get it right :)

thank you!

Sejal

JBaxter
12-24-2008, 04:05 PM
swing ,bouncy seat, gymnii, musical toys are all things we used. Jack is 2 months

elliput
12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
I was told to start tummy time right away with DS (he is 12 weeks).

Like the PP, we have used the swing, bouncy seat and gymini starting a just a few days old.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-24-2008, 06:34 PM
All of the things you mentioned are fine. My DD never did tummy time, as she HATED it. I tried and she just wouldn't take to it. GL!

Nechums
12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
you can use the swing right away, but dont worry if he doesn't like it at first. we tried to put our newborn in the swing right away, but he hated it. we were so upset because we had spent so much money on it. but then at 1 month we tried again and he loved it.

junebaby07
12-24-2008, 07:55 PM
The bouncy seat was popular here right away. And the swing w/ mobile was popular around 6 weeks. We used the tiny love playmat right away. It was a favorite for a long time.

amldaley
12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
As long as your swing is the kind that is reclined (like the papsan style), a bouncer or other "seat" like the papasan style chair, and definetly the gym!!!! The gym is ideal! Hang the toys so they are about 8 to 10 " from baby. At this age, baby won't play alot, but will enjoy looking at shapes, moving images and anything high contrast. Mobiles that move are great.

Don't expect baby to stay "entertained" for long stretches. Quality time in your arms is wonderful...walk around the house (we call it "going walkabout") and tell baby all about the kitchen, the story behind dad's favorite chair, the windows, the heirloom clock, whatever...just walk and talk.

We read to dd and propped the books up so she could look closely at the pictures. We also kept one soft toy at the ready (a fat bumble bee) with fur and we would take her hand and stroke the fur, so she could feel the soft texture.

p.s.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

sste
12-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Books! There is one board book series that has baby face photographs and that was the first book our baby paid attention to. Gymini also a huge hit but that took a month or two.

slb
12-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you all. We put DS in the swing yesterday and he hated it, did it again today and he loved it! We will try the bouncy seat this week as well. He already likes the gymini...but i love the idea of hanging the toys lower...and the reading and waling around idea is great....although he does spend most of his time in our arms.

they are absolitely perfect at this age! thank you so much for your ideas!

sejal