PDA

View Full Version : Pink Paint Advice, Please

sunshine28
12-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm looking for a very pale, muted pink paint for the nursery. I am trying to avoid anything that is too "bubble gum" or "pepto bismol" if you know what I mean. I don't want the paint color to be what you notice when you enter the room. Does anyone know of a good Benjamin Moore pink that fits the bill?
Right now it's between "opal" and "candle white".

Melbel
12-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Serena and Lily has a beautiful PALE pink "shell" that I used in DD1's room. I can only take pink in limited doses, and concur w/ your distaste for Pepto Bismal pink. If you purchase a sample, BM can color match it.

http://www.serenaandlily.com/Rooms/Play-Shell_2

amldaley
12-25-2008, 09:30 PM
We used "Silk Pillow" by Behr (Home Depot)...it is almost imperceptibly pink...it is soft, light and clean...it is a pinkish, white. I love how clean it feels.

gotchagomo
01-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Be sure to note the natural light in your nursery. I chose a very pale pink that I loved--it was perfect, I thought. Even after I put up lined cream curtains, the room gets so much natural light that the room looks bright white the majority of the day. Every picture taken in the room looks like a white background. I painted a large piece of paper with the paint and took it to another room with different light--it looks like the wonderful pink I first selected. Natural light plays a very big part in how the paint will appear. We are experimenting with different pinks right now again, and having the same problem with many of them.

bt0510
01-15-2009, 11:25 PM
How about: Touch of Pink, Frosty Pink, or Elephant Pink? I saw these using the Virtual Fan Deck on benjaminmoore.com. Of course I'd check it out in person though. Touch of Pink and Frosty Pink are close to the left end and Elephant Pink is in the middle. You can search by name too.

american_mama
01-18-2009, 03:40 AM
I used "Old Rose Glaze" from Lowe's (Olympic brand, I think). It is not too bright, too dark, too beige, or too glowing, but it is far from "opal" or "shell." The shade lighter - can't remember the name - might be better for you. Personally, I looked at a lot of Benjamin Moore pinks, bought quarts of two of them, and did not like any.

Olympic is a less expensive paint, but it was as easy to apply as the Lowe's American Tradition we used in the other bedroom and less glossy. I figured a pinkn bedroom was likely to be outgrown quicker than most paint colors, so the paint didn't have to last as long as in other rooms of the house.

At Lowe's, you can get samples in any color they sell of any brand. The samples are usually $2-5, depending on the type of sample machine your store uses. With Benjamin Moore, they only offer samples in some of the colors. I had eight pink's I was looking at and figured I'd narrow it down to what they offered samples in, but you couldn't get a sample in any of them.

Coral
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
We used the Disney color pallet at Home Depot. Although some of the shades were really bright, they had a really nice selection of pale, subtle colors. They painted on really well too.

mamababa
01-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Have you checked the Pottery Barn colors? I really like their colors and they are Benjamin Moore colors. And I definitely recommend getting a sample and putting it up in the room. As pp said, the lighting in the room can really change what the color looks like. Moore sells tiny little 2 oz sample bottles of all the POttery Barn colors and many of their other colors, too.

CarrieC
01-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Yay, something in the mommy forums that I can contribute to now. I'm a decorative painter expecting my first baby.
Anyway, it's good to know what you don't want (i.e. the pepto) but it would also be good to hear what direction you are interested in going. Are we thinking sweet cotton candy? ... Parisian blush champagne?... classic Victorian rose? I am also a big fan of the Benjamin Moore paints for their coverage and durability. I'm a fan of somewhere between the second and third description, so I would choose BM# 071 cameo rose. If you find that a color is too pale once applied, glazing is an excellent way to deepen a color and add texture and interest.