PDA

View Full Version : I could have just gotten them BLANK and they'd be happy...

lizajane
12-25-2008, 11:48 AM
FILL IN THE BLANK:

i got my kids tons of gifts, but they would have been happy if their only gift was:

here is mine-
dylan: the giant pack of spiderman stickers

schuyler: iPod shuffle

this was dylan's year. i think there is something magically about age 3 (almost 4.) everything he saw or opened was "AWWWWWWESOME!!!" his big gift was a razor scooter (the $20 one, not electric or anything) and he did love it. but he played with those stickers forever!!

schuyler could NOT WAIT to load music onto his iPod shuffle. he bugged daddy for an HOUR. we hadn't even opened our gifts! and BTW, i realize that is a bit too grown up for a 5 year old, but he needs constant sensory input and it will not only make him happy as he dances around the house using up energy, but it will make ME happy as i might catch a few moments without being asked a hundred questions!!!

g-mama
12-25-2008, 12:02 PM
If I had ONLY gotten my 8yo ds a Wii - that would've been enough! (Not that that's NOT enough!)

If I had ONLY gotten my 5yo ds the cardmaking stamp set and grown-up set of colored pencils in a tin box like Mommy's - that would've been enough!

If I had ONLY gotten my 3yo ds the stupid SpongeBob marshmallow pop (yuk - dh got this at CVS, I think) - that would've been enough!

bubbaray
12-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I could have gotton DD#1 only her blonde Bitty Twin....

I could have gotten DD#2 only her brunette Bitty Twin....

However, they are both having fun watching DH struggle to assemble the Rose Petal Cottage without instructions. And, no, I didn't remove the instructions from the box, but might do just that with future assembly-required toys. Its amusing to watch.

pinkmomagain
12-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Melissa, I just finished assembling that thing! Put him out of his misery and make him read those instructions. Or at least hand him a spiked drink so he can laugh too....That thing is a PITA to put together.

bubbaray
12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I heard him mutter "where are the English instructions -- every language BUT English" as I left the room. Bwahahaha. Maybe he found the German instructions. Dunno.

brittone2
12-25-2008, 12:25 PM
DS is almost 5. He was thrilled with a pomegranate in his stocking and "mints with a sliding door" (Altoids). Mints with a sliding door was declared his fav gift last year on Christmas night when I asked him, and he was happy to see them again (at his request this year again). He hasn't opened his Playmobil camper yet (from my parents...waiting for them to arrive) but I expect that will be his favorite gift.

DD is enjoying her baby cradles. She was most excited about those foam capsules that turn into a sponge. For some reason both of my kids have an insane obsession with those LOL.

kayte
12-25-2008, 12:50 PM
DD is in LOVE with her pitch pipe. She was excited to get some of the other things (giant magnifying glasses, xylophone) but keeps going back to the pipe. I think she would have been thrilled with just that.

Unfortunately the $$$ magnetiles --all set up on her light table--- haven't seen much action today--but hoping it will come.

egoldber
12-25-2008, 12:53 PM
If I had only gotten Sarah, 7, the American Girl Julie DS game (from the bargain bin at Target!) she would have been happy.

If I had only gotten Amy, 2, the mop and broom set, she would have been happy.

They like all of what they got, but those seem to be the hits so far....

And Melissa, I'm glad the girls like the BB Twins. I know you were worried. :)

MaiseyDog
12-25-2008, 01:06 PM
DD#1 has been most excited about poprocks

DD#2 has completely ignored her gifts and elected to gather up all the gift bows and hoard them.

shawnandangel
12-25-2008, 01:50 PM
The Fisherprice Rainforest Play Gym!

Well, that was her only present! It was a total suprise how much she loved it though! She smiled and cooed at it for almost a hour! I am so excited because I got it all on video!

hellokitty
12-25-2008, 01:55 PM
DS 4.5 yr old- Would have been happy with just the Tonka dump truck that we got him.

DS 3 yr old- Would have been happy with just the Brio Polar Express train (not the entire set, just the actual train and tender), it goes forward, backwards, lights up and makes noises.

I could have saved myself like hundreds of dollars. The biggest disappointment is the wooden castle, I got the boys. My 3 yr old played with it for about five min and lost interest. We are definitely scaling back next yr, I was afraid we wouldn't have enough gifts this yr, but we had TONS (and several duplicates from friends and family). I grew up only getting 1-2 gifts for Christmas and I think I am over-compensating now that I have my own kids.

blisstwins
12-25-2008, 02:26 PM
magnatiles and a microphone CD player and my 2 4 yos would have been very done...I can't believe the magnatiles live up to the hype.

lisams
12-25-2008, 02:35 PM
DD and DS both love the trampoline, a huge hit! They'd both be happy with just that.

DD loves the Plasmacar (you sit on it and move the steering wheel back and forth to move) and DS loves the wooden kitchen.

So far the only dud is the Littlest Pet Shop set that DD begged for. Go figure!

happy2bamom
12-25-2008, 02:41 PM
DS#1 air hockey table ($50 kid size)
DS #2 karaoke machine (minus the music, he just likes hearing his voice being amplified)

We also got the boys a John Deere Gator, but the battery is still charging. Even without it moving yet, they have both spent over 1/2 an hour sitting in the thing.

Puddy73
12-25-2008, 02:42 PM
DD1: M&D slice and bake cookie set
DS: batman tricycle from MIL. He insisted on taking a nap with it.

amldaley
12-25-2008, 02:43 PM
...The tissue paper I wrapped the gifts in....she's 4.5 mos old and enjoyed helping open gifts!

(The Tiny Love Fruity Pals were a big hit, too)

mommyp
12-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Umm....the wrapping paper? LOL
So far the alphabet soft blocks got the most play time. But we haven't taken the Little People farm out of the box yet. She's napping now, all that unwrapping really took it out of her!

jent
12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
... her Corolle Calin doll (thanks BBB).

niccig
12-25-2008, 04:22 PM
The Matchbox Space Shuttle/Rocket thingy. It was a last minute gift yesterday, as DS spotted the walkie talkies as silly me left them out. He's just into Santa this year and I didn't want to spoil it by giving him a Santa gift he had already seen me with. Bonus was the matchbox set was cheaper here in Detroit than what I've seen in Los Angeles. I was trying to find a Tonka light and sound helicopter as he loves his friend's, but couldn't find it, so in our last minute hurry we got him the space shuttle. He's napping with it now and I had to make up a bed time story about it.

Wife_and_mommy
12-25-2008, 04:32 PM
magnatiles...I can't believe the magnatiles live up to the hype.

Here too! Both kids *love* them. It's cool to watch what each does developmentally with it. DS isn't interested in how much he can do with them just yet but took a handful to bed for nap. DD has already built a "zoo" complete with animals and people watching the animals. Pretty fun. :)

DS's other favorite is the preschool backpack on wheels. He is *in love*.

elliput
12-25-2008, 04:37 PM
For DD (almost 4yo)- the FurReal Butterscotch pony. She keeps going back to this and feeding him carrot. I was really worried that she would be frightened of it, but she is completely enamored!

For DS (3mo)- the Elephant taggie my sister sent. DS laughs and laughs at it.

For me- Guitar Hero World Tour for Wii. :jammin:

carolinamama
12-25-2008, 05:08 PM
DS1 (3yo) - Biggest hit was the pair of beginner scissors I got for $2.99 and a recycled magazine. He kept going back to them. But nothing was a dud. Play firestation, puzzles, camera, play food for his kitchen, and airplane bedding for his new big-boy bed were all appreciated. We even read the books he got as he unwrapped them. He savored every gift and it was so much fun. Last week we celebrated with DH's family and magnatiles were his fave from that bunch. Big hit and we can't wait to add to our collection.

DS2 (almost 3 months) poor guy, only got practical gifts. But I'm sure he will love his new pajammas, outfits, CA baby, and books. :D

KpbS
12-25-2008, 05:12 PM
DS1 LOVES his matchbox construction pop-up playset. It has a crane and a conveyor belt! He has spent hours with it and his trucks.

DS2 has yet to open anything. He slept through it all ;)

jgenie
12-25-2008, 06:20 PM
DS (11 months) loves his Haba stiki blocks - he has one of the cylinder pieces he won't put down!!

Lindymagoo
12-25-2008, 09:28 PM
For DGS (17 months), the spur-of-the-moment purchase of a Playskool Busy Ball-tivity center seems to be the toy of choice. It was probably the least expensive gift ($6.99 on Amazon and I got free shipping cause I ordered other stuff I needed), but he sat played with it for a good 45 minutes in one stretch, and keeps going back to it. He also liked his Learning Resources counting, color/shape set from Costco. The rest of it, is OK, but hasn't held his interest like the other two things.

And next year, we will remember to feed him breakfast before we open the gifts. He wasn't interested in opening presents cause he kept going into the kitchen looking for food.

KrisM
12-25-2008, 09:56 PM
If DS1 only received the Quadrilla Twist and Rail set, he'd be happy.

If DD only received the LP Dance and Twirl Palace and Coach set, she'd be happy.

If DS2 only received the Dinosaur Drop and Roll, he'd be happy.

They loved most everything, I think. DS1 is 4.5 years and he, very sincerely, said everything "was what I always wanted!" Very fun.

gobadgers
12-25-2008, 10:38 PM
DD made out like a bandit for Christmas - The Learning Tower and countless light-up, singing plastic toys from Grandma, the Rose Petal Cottage and some accessories from us, cute dresses galore, ride-on toys, tea set, puzzles, stuffed animals, books, and we're not even celebrating with my parents until tomorrow...

... there wasn't anything that was a dud, but it was all promptly dismissed once she opened the bouncing Tigger that I bought for $4 from the secondhand toy store on Tuesday. It's making me rethink the whole strategy.

bubbaray
12-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Can I add another? The Rose Petal Cottage. Once *I* got it set up (see my earlier post about DH doing it without the instructions -- not a good idea), they played with it alllllllll day (with their Bitty Twins). All day. And, they played (for the most part) nicely together for the whole day (rare).

KBecks
12-25-2008, 10:47 PM
The favorite present was from Grandma and Grandpa - a Fisher Price Little People town. The kids played with it very happily for at least an hour on Christmas Eve:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-World-Little-People-Learn/dp/B0015KSQM8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1230259605&sr=8-1

ChristinaLucia
12-25-2008, 10:54 PM
DD loved a Hello Kitty Purse. Nearly ignored the American Girl doll...

o_mom
12-25-2008, 11:03 PM
DS1 & DS1 - superhero capes from Etsy

DS3 - Learning Resources Counting Cookies that I have been hoarding in the gift closet from the big sale at Amazon many moons ago.

ett
12-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure about DS1 as he liked everything he got but for DS2, it would have been the 3 balls from the Boon bath toys set. He unwrapped that gift first and when he saw the balls, he insisted that we open the package to give him the balls. After that he was no longer interested in opening any of his other presents. DS2 is a huge ball lover, so in the future, we'll save the ball toy for last to open!

Although even without the balls, DS2 would have been happy with this small round ornament about the size of those small bouncy balls. He found that when we first got to my parent's house (where we spent the day) and basically carried that around the whole time when he wasn't playing with the 3 Boon balls. And I was worried that he didn't have enough gifts! :)

MommytoEliana
12-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Definitely the Kidizoom digital camera for DD. That thing has barely left her hands since she opened it Monday night (we opened a couple of days early with my sister). It was a last-minute gift from us when I saw the Radio Shack deal posted a couple of weeks ago, and I'm so glad I got it. Her cousin got one too, from the other side of the family, and the two of them were glued to their cameras yesterday and today at the grandparents' home. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if only one of them had gotten one....

DS--he LOVES the toy trumpet DD got him. (Of course, so does she--probably why she chose it.) He's also pretty happy about the Dyson toy vacuum we got him, although he prefers it without the handle and without the head--in other words, the way he first saw it in the box before Daddy finished assembling it. He also loves DD's camera, when she'll let him play with it.

traumarn
12-25-2008, 11:57 PM
i could have just mine- the paper wrapping, without anything in it!(she's 2 mos old--- what'd ya expect?lol!)

Tondi G
12-26-2008, 12:49 AM
My boys seem pretty happy with everything they received but so far

my 3.5 year old has been most happy with his Speed Racer Sky Jump Hotwheels track set. But he can't wait till tomorrow to try out his R/C Terrainiac vehicle. It was raining and cold today so we're waiting to take it out on the high school field we live right by... the battery pack is charging as we speak!

My 7 year old got a game called Active Life Outdoor Challenge for the Wii and it is GREAT! It comes with a pad that goes on the floor and you really have to MOVE to play.... both boys and my husband are enjoying it right now! He was also quite pleased with the biggest, loudest Nerf Machine Gun... Vulcan something, that my sisters boyfriend couldn't wait to get out of the box to play with it with him (He picked that gift out! LOL, he is a big kid himself!)

I think I am most pleased with the toys that don't require batteries that we bought for the boys... although the hotwheels set sure is cool, but a little noisy! We had to go out and buy D batteries today... luckily they were on sale at Longs. One year it's AA batteries... the next year it's C or D batteries!

BillK
12-26-2008, 01:35 AM
I think they'd both be thrilled a big old cardboard box vs. the roomful of toys both sets of grandparents got them. They are enjoying everything they got - I just dunno where the hell I'm gonna put it all.

Tondi G
12-26-2008, 02:40 AM
I think they'd both be thrilled a big old cardboard box vs. the roomful of toys both sets of grandparents got them. They are enjoying everything they got - I just dunno where the hell I'm gonna put it all.

yeah thats what we went through last year..... this year we did some major clearing out before christmas... hopefully we'll find places for all this new stuff to live without completely overcrowding the toy closet and their room again!

Good Luck!

mommymy
12-26-2008, 03:47 AM
DS -- The magnatiles. They really were worth the money for the amount of play that it got today vs the other things, including the most asked for Legos. He lost interest in that after 10 minutes but literally played with magnatiles for an 1.5 hours sticking all his cars in between the little boxes he kept building. Magnatiles also trumped the Nintendo DS the grandparents got him.

DD-- the calin doll and stroller. She loves it, just like I thought she would.

I got lots of small things but next year I'm thinking of just getting one good present. Like the pp said...now i have to think about where i'm going to put all these new toys! Hope you all had a happy holiday!

sidmand
12-26-2008, 08:46 AM
If we had only given DS his flashlight...my goodness, I figured he would like it, but he's been playing with it pretty much nonstop!

And DD didn't get so much from us, but her aunt gave her the Laugh and Learn purse and she really seems to like her "first" purse! And Sofie the Giraffe was an early present that she likes too.

ETA: I forgot he went to bed with his "kazoo" and just asked for it the minute he got up. We celebrated with DH's family and in the commotion, I don't know who it came from, but someone gave DS one of those $1 recorders (musical instrument) and he LOVES it. I'm sure we'll hope it stops working soon though.

Bens Momma
12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
We are definitely scaling back next yr, I was afraid we wouldn't have enough gifts this yr, but we had TONS (and several duplicates from friends and family). I grew up only getting 1-2 gifts for Christmas and I think I am over-compensating now that I have my own kids.

:yeahthat:

We did scale back this year and the boys seem just as happy. I can totally relate to your comment about your childhood, it was the same for me. Although I think every parent wants more/better for their kids than they had. I have to say that I was totally POed when my Dad remarked to DH on Christmas Eve "You didn't go overboard and buy too many things for the kids again this year did you?" :irked: WTF?? Who says that? In light of some crappy financial stuff that my sister did to us this year, you'd think my Dad would just keep his mouth shut regarding what we do or don't do for our kids!! (Sorry for the b*tich, had to get it off my chest!)

As far as gifts for the boys, it would probably be a tie for the Imaginext castle & their Star Wars figures. These kept them occupied most of the day.

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

hellokitty
12-26-2008, 11:39 AM
:yeahthat:

We did scale back this year and the boys seem just as happy. I can totally relate to your comment about your childhood, it was the same for me. Although I think every parent wants more/better for their kids than they had. I have to say that I was totally POed when my Dad remarked to DH on Christmas Eve "You didn't go overboard and buy too many things for the kids again this year did you?" :irked: WTF?? Who says that? In light of some crappy financial stuff that my sister did to us this year, you'd think my Dad would just keep his mouth shut regarding what we do or don't do for our kids!! (Sorry for the b*tich, had to get it off my chest!)

As far as gifts for the boys, it would probably be a tie for the Imaginext castle & their Star Wars figures. These kept them occupied most of the day.

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

Ugh, I feel for you. My parents, esp my mom always make comments that I spoil my kids. I feel like snapping back at her and telling her that it wouldn't have hurt if she would have spoiled my siblings and I a little bit when we were kids. The reason we only got like 1-2 gifts for Christmas when I was a kid, was not due to finances (my parents are actually pretty well off), they were just incredibly stingy (like in an over-the-top kind of way and out of those gifts I got, I can't even recall how many of them were @#$^%$ dictionaries!), so my siblings and I feel like we grew up deprived. My parents felt that if we had shelter, food and clothes, that was enough, b/c our, "job" was to study hard in order to go to a good college and make lots of $. Toys... those just were unnecessary for kids, you know, we weren't allowed to have any fun and just be kids. My brothers (who don't have kids yet), come over to our house and tell me about how lucky my kids are to have a, "normal" childhood and I often feel the same way.

I'm sorry that your sister took advantage of you and your dad didn't have the sense to keep his mouth shut.

JTsMom
12-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I could put just about any of DS's gifts in here, b/c he was thrilled with all of them- LOL. I'd say the top 3 were his little red Schylling piano, his M&D band sets (especially the tambourine and maracas, b/c those are what he repeatedly asked for) and his Plan City garage and vehicles, especially the little construction set. I don't think I could pick just one as his favorite. He just kept saying over and over, "Santa brought me maracas and a tambourine, and a red piano and a bulldozer, Mama!!!!" all day long, in the happiest little voice." :love-retry:

MontrealMum
12-26-2008, 12:36 PM
DS liked most of his gifts, but seemed to be a little on sensory overload. Lesson learned, that maybe one or two gifts at this age would be enough. The gifts with the most staying power seems to be the handmade wooden airplane and helicopter from my dad - which made multiple crash landings into our creche set stable...luckily the inhabitants had already been evacuated! DS was also, as a pp mentioned, much more interested in taking the bows off the packages than actually opening them. DH and I joked about all the time we spent wrapping his gifts, only to have to do the unwrapping ourselves.

Momof3Labs
12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
DS1 bounces most between his bigger Snaptricity set and his Matchbox mega rig space shuttle. He's been playing his new Star Wars game on his Leapster, too.

DS2 is thrilled beyond belief with the magnatiles. The first thing he headed for when he finally woke up this morning. He played with his Legos a bit and his kid-sized keyboard a bit, and is eager to get in the tubby with his Little Einsteins tub toy set, but those magnatiles... We haven't opened the wedgits yet; I think that he'll enjoy those too.

gatorsmom
12-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I haven't read the responses but looking forward to it later. I got the boys little legos sets, the Tripod robot, character pjs, science labs, magic kit, bakagan balls and then they got a bunch of stuff from family and friends.

They liked best the $1 mini slinkies I put in their stockings from the Target dollar bins.

I knew there was a reason I shouldn't have done stocking stuffers....

Snow mom
12-26-2008, 07:49 PM
This thread made me smile :D DD is far too little to enjoy anything at Christmas (although it made it a much less expensive holiday than I'm sure it will be next year.) I love hearing how much everyone enjoyed their gifts and looking forward to DD getting bigger and more interactive.

~Lisa

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
DD -her lipizaner horse from target. She loves it and has been playing with it. From the grandparents and aunts and uncles- sleeping beauty's walking horse. Anyone else see a trend here?

DS- His vtech laptop. He's so happy to have his own computer.

KBecks
12-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm going to add another too -- the boys and Dave have been having fun with this little chemistry set that he got for them (it's colored water and "snow" powder, etc.) and they also love some larger dinosaurs from Target that don't do anything.

Jo..
12-26-2008, 10:57 PM
:52: A salad spinner.

Corie
12-26-2008, 11:18 PM
My son loves his Air Hog helicopter and Air Hog Zero Gravity Car
the most.

My daughter loves her Nintendo DS.

Surprise hit: magnatiles. I love them too!

BaileyBea
12-26-2008, 11:39 PM
DS would have been happy with a box and bubble wrap. We bought the music man a Piano which he does like but on xmas it was all about the box.

DD LOVED the whole thing. All the toys, tearing up the wrapping paper etc. She had a blast! And the Tinkerbell outfit has not come off of her in 2 days unless it's to sleep.

shawnandangel
12-27-2008, 12:33 AM
this thread made me google magna-tiles.