PDA

View Full Version : Do you send thank you notes for holiday gifts after thanking gift giver in person?

justlearning
12-26-2008, 12:39 PM
My goal for 2009 is to send thank-you notes promptly to everyone--I've been bad about this in the past. So, now I'm wondering do I send thank-you notes for every Christmas gift our kids received even when the boys already thanked the gift giver in person (and I added my own thanks)?

I do this after birthday parties when our boys thank the gift giver in person, but I've never done it for Christmas and am now wondering if I should...

purpleeyes
12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I think prevailing etiquette is that you only have to send Thank-you's to people you did not thank in person.
At least, that's how I handle it! :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I still send one to family and friends we don't often see (great aunts...) even if we thanked them in person (though if I forget I don't stress too much b/c thanks were given- I/m 95% good for a hand written thank you though). I don't send one to people we see regularly (grandparents, aunts, uncles...) unless they weren't there when we opened presents.

Beth

elliput
12-26-2008, 12:44 PM
According to Emily Post- http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/thank_u_note_qna.htm

Who needs a note?
All gifts should be acknowledged with a note, unless the goodies were opened in front of the giver—then you have the chance to thank them in person. An important exception: many of an older generation expect a hand-written note. Providing them with one is an appropriate gesture of respect and consideration.

Pennylane
12-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I send a thank you note for everything, whether I thanked them in person or not.

Ann

BeachBum
12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I do not send a note for gifts opened in front of the person--except birthday parties.

hollybloom24
12-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I always send a note too - in my family if you don't people are insulted.

Corie
12-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I do not send a note for gifts opened in front of the person--except birthday parties.

Us too.

My immediate family does not expect thank you notes for the
Christmas gifts opened in their presence. And, actually, now we
just call to thank them for Christmas gifts (since we live
in Rhode Island and they are in Texas.)

Birthday parties are a different story. Even though the gifts
may be opened in front of the giver, each person still gets a thank you
note.

C99
12-26-2008, 03:21 PM
According to Emily Post- http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/thank_u_note_qna.htm

This is pretty much what I follow. And my MIL (age 61) expects a note!

nov04
12-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I send a thank you note for everything, whether I thanked them in person or not.

Ann

mom and mil do not expect one, everyone else gets sent one.

SASM
12-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi. :) I DO try to send TYs for each gift received b/c, in all of the excitement of the gift-opening, I am quite certain that my DCs do not remember saying thank you. I want them to remember and appreciate each gift and not take them for granted, as well as the gift-giver. So...right now, I write each personaized "thank you" and each DC signs their name (I also read them the thank you). I also count this as holiday week "homework". ;) HTH.

Oh...that being said, just to give you an idea about me, last year we didn't make it home for the holidays, loved ones sent presents, I called or emailed them but didn't get around to sending a personalized TY for each and I felt soooo guilty. :(

shawnandangel
12-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I like Sharyn's idea! This is what my mother had me do when I was a child and it's ingrained in me now to send thank you notes asap! Plus, I think as an adult I would love to get a hand-written (when they are old enough) note from a child thanking me.

Sharyn is right on her other point that the child will remember the gift and the gift-giver. I can look back on pictures from Christmas' when I was a child and say "oh I remember that, grandma got it for me"