PDA

View Full Version : If you have 2 indoor cats....

JustMe
12-27-2008, 12:36 AM
...how often do you change the litter box?

In the past, I only have had one cat and generally changed the litter box every week. However, with my current 6 yr old cat when it was just her, I was sometimes able to go close to 2 weeks. She just doesn't pee that much. Well, since I have added our new addition (kitten is now about 7 mos old), I can barely go 6 days without having the litter box reak! I really feel like I should be changing it every 5 days, and I am wondering what others do.

Thanks.

Kyras mom
12-27-2008, 01:41 AM
I have 2 cats. I scoop every other day (using scoopable litter). I add more litter as needed when the level gets low. I also vacuum every other day because of the litter tracking everywhere. I rarely empty out all of the litter (maybe once a year) to scrub the entire box.

lisams
12-27-2008, 01:44 AM
We have two cats and two litter boxes. They get scooped out at least every other day and we add litter as needed. They get completely cleaned out about once a month (I take them outside and spray them with vinegar and let them dry in the sun).

shilo
12-27-2008, 02:05 AM
we have 3 cats (2 of them are tiny sub 8 pounders tho). we use one big bag of fresh step clay litter (not the scoopable) every 7 days (it gets changed on the night garbage goes out). try the fresh step if you can find it, if i buy any other brand it's pretty stinky by day 4 or 5.

amldaley
12-27-2008, 02:12 AM
Technically, the rule of thumb is 1 litterbox per cat + 1 extra. I think that excessive. We have two cats and two boxes. Litter gets scooped and topped off once per week on trash night and totally chaanged out once per 4-6 weeks. We use Fresh Step and we mix a little pine litter in.

happy2bamom
12-27-2008, 10:47 AM
We have 3 cats, and just went down to 3 litter boxes (we had 4 boxes for over a year). Either way, (with 3 or 4 boxes) I scoop the litter weekly and completely change it every two weeks. One of my boxes is the the kind with a pad (in a tray) under the reusable pellets. All of the urine goes through the pellets and is soaked-up by the pad (I change the pad weekly). The stool stays in the pellets (I scoop the pellets weekly and completely change them every month) Only one of our cats likes this newer system so it doesn't get much use.

BabyMine
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
We broke down and got the cat genie. I LOVE IT.

mudder17
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
We had the litter robot and LOVED it, but eventually had to give up on it because one of our cats wouldn't use it. But with 5 cats it was a godsend because it would immediately filter whenever the cats went in to poop or pee.

Now we have 2 facing boxes (large) and it gets scooped at least daily, with new litter being added as needed. We find we don't need to change it out completely if we keep on top of the scooping.

JustMe
12-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Okay, I have been using old fashioned regular litter. I do scoop out the poop, but couldnt scoop anything else out. What kind are you all using? I did try to use a new kind of litter at some point way back before I had the kitten, maybe pine but am not sure, it didnt work b/c my adult cat would not use it and went on the floor instead. So, what is the scoopable litter like and are there different kinds?

happymomma
12-27-2008, 02:08 PM
We have one cat and my DH scoops everyday. We get the litter from Costco. It's worked well for us so far. I think once a month he will change the whole litter.

Ceepa
12-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Okay, I have been using old fashioned regular litter. I do scoop out the poop, but couldnt scoop anything else out. What kind are you all using? I did try to use a new kind of litter at some point way back before I had the kitten, maybe pine but am not sure, it didnt work b/c my adult cat would not use it and went on the floor instead. So, what is the scoopable litter like and are there different kinds?

Scoopable litter forms clumps when moisture hits it. The urine clumps into little balls that you can scoop out. The poop is scooped out too. The idea is that you scoop out all the waste and what is left behind in the box is basically clean litter. After a while, you have to add more litter to make up for all the litter you scooped out and threw away.

With two indoor cats I would scoop at least every other day.

Davids-Coco
12-27-2008, 02:54 PM
We have scoopable litter (freshstep I think), 2 inside only cats, and only one litter box. It gets scooped daily and we change out the entire box right around every month.

mariza
12-27-2008, 03:47 PM
We got the Litter Robot after we got the 2 cats. I must admit, I am not a "cat person" but whenever I showed DD a picture of a dog I was looking at on Petfinder she would say " I want a kitty" so we got 2 kittens and I would not have cats in my house without the litter robot! With the regular box I was scooping every day and felt like my house still smelled bad. I broke down and bought this and we have all been happy since. Yes, it is very expensive but I seriously would not have cats without it. I use clumping litter and empty the drawer about once a week. If you only had one cat you could probably go longer.

BabyMine
12-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I know I am talking a lot about it but the cat genie you do nothing. It scoops, flushes, cleans the litter and dries it. You never touch the litter. We have it set to go off 4 times a day. Ok I am done now. I swear.

DietCokeLover
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
We have two cats and one box. DH scoops daily and adds litter as needed. We empty the box and clean it about every other month or so. We use Arm and Hammer litter and are very pleased.

Fairy
12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Technically, you really need to scoop every other day. It's just cleaner, indoor or outdoor, and that's the conventional wisdom. However. We have 2 cats, two boxes, scoopable litter, and it gets scooped once a week, maybe twice. We're terrible people.

What's with this cat genie thing? Babymine, come back, talk some more. Cleaning and drying litter?! Do you use non scoopable or scoopable? I know about the boxes that do the scooping into a tray, and you just clean the tray ... is that it? I think I need to google litter genie and litter robot ...

OhMeOhMy
12-29-2008, 03:04 PM
We have 2 cats but only one litter box although we will add a 2nd box once we have a little one in the house.

DH scoops 1x a day and I occasionally scoop if I'm in the same room as the litter box and the cat really stinks it up after using the facilities. We have one cat that doesn't know how to cover her own poo.

I've thought about training at least one cat to use the toilet since she already uses the litter box standing over the hole and peeing into the box.

I do like the Genie style that washes and have thought about getting one of those.