PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here familiar with the "Baby Can Read" program?

gatorsmom
12-27-2008, 05:01 AM
DH surprised us on Christmas morning with several heavy boxes containing this reading program. I am a little hesitant to try it because it looks like it teaches children to read by associating the written words with a picture, in other words, children learn to read by memorizing the words instead of using phonetics. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about teaching children younger than 4 to read.

Anyone here know about this program? What are your feelings about it? I'm really looking forward to professional opinions on this. tia.

misshollygolightly
12-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Never heard of it, but I'm curious! Will be watching for responses.

hellokitty
12-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Do a search, this topic has come up a few times.

MarisaSF
12-27-2008, 10:59 AM
I've seen the tv commercials. It's a bunch of flashcards essentially. It looks totally ridiculous. Sorry, but I'd return it.

IMO not only is it just memorization, it misses the point of developing a love of reading *stories.* Fron everything I've read, heard, and experienced, reading to your kids is the best building block for developing a child who loves to read.

I'd see no point in having my toddler be able to recognize the word "cat." Party trick? All in good time, I say.

Ceepa
12-27-2008, 11:50 AM
That was really sweet of DH to think of something to engage your DC. I don't know anyone who has used the program, but I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who actually has experienced it.

Wife_and_mommy
12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree with Marisa but hate the thought of having to dash your DH's good intentions by returning it. I don't know if I could do it.

gatorsmom
12-27-2008, 12:44 PM
by returning it. I don't know if I could do it.

He said he spent over $400 on it. Would that make a difference? I didn't say much when I opened it because DH is known for buying things off informercials at 3am. When I opened it, it did look like a bunch of flashcards. I hope there are other posters on here who can really tell me one way or the other. I need something solid from these boards to take back to DH, kwim?

Wife_and_mommy
12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
He said he spent over $400 on it. Would that make a difference? I didn't say much when I opened it because DH is known for buying things off informercials at 3am. When I opened it, it did look like a bunch of flashcards. I hope there are other posters on here who can really tell me one way or the other. I need something solid from these boards to take back to DH, kwim?

Eek. Was it a 3am infomercial purchase? Or did he intentionally seek out something he thought would be helpful/fun for you and the babies?

I'll search for the previous threads. As I said, I agree with Marisa and also prefer to teach reading phonetically so having babies memorize flashcards for $400 would not be a wise purchase IMO. I'll repost with what I find.

Wife_and_mommy
12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Here's one:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=303472&highlight=baby+can+read+program

gatorsmom
12-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Here's one:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=303472&highlight=baby+can+read+program

Thank you for finding that thread for me. I did a couple of searches and didn't find that particular one, though that one's the most helpful. thank you.

mom2binsd
12-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I too think there are so many other ways to engage little one's in all the prereading skills like rhyming books, fun letter games etc. and spending 400.00 seems like a complete scam. I looked over their program and it is really missing so many of the fun elements that parents can naturally incorporate into daily living that will do many of the things the program says it can do- developing an awareness of letters in the world, associating words with meaning (think of all the stop signs you pass everyday in the car and teaching them how those four letters put together mean stop and that you stop at the sign each time).

As a SLP in the schools I often had parents ask if they should purchase various programs such as hooked on phonics (which may work for some kids but I'm very skeptical of any of these type of programs as they really are out to make money.)

AND anything purchased after 11pm via an informercial is usually suspect...I for one have a few gadgets I was sure were going to make my life easier, but only spent 19.99 (plus S&H) not 400.00.

It's awesome he was thinking of the kids, but there are a lot of other ways to encourage and develop reading skills.

bubbaray
12-28-2008, 12:43 AM
THe other thing I would wonder is whether it will be your DH who will be teaching the babies to read or you. Because, it kinda sounds like you've got enough on your plate without that, KWIM? I'd just stick to reading to the children daily....

Can he return it??

gatorsmom
12-28-2008, 02:45 AM
THe other thing I would wonder is whether it will be your DH who will be teaching the babies to read or you. Because, it kinda sounds like you've got enough on your plate without that, KWIM? I'd just stick to reading to the children daily....

Can he return it??

Ha, that is EXACTLY what I thought. He claims he threw out the boxes but I've pretty much said that I"m against using this system. So, he'd better figure out how to return them. It just kills me that he'd buy this without asking me. He absolutely knows how much time I spend here researching products. Why he would just throw away the shipping boxes and receipt for something he knows nothing about- just seems so risky. I guessed right though- it was a 2am impulse purchase from an infomercial. Sucker!