PDA

View Full Version : Little licky baby

amldaley
12-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Why does my 5 months old feel the need to LICK everything from the mirror in her gym to my arm to her toys????

amandabea
12-27-2008, 03:47 PM
my DD used to do that too! She licked everything -- the tile floor, the leather couch, the table. Never the dog or the carpet, though. While the licking of things has stopped, now, at almost 2 though she still has a thing about her tongue. It is always sticking out -- when she smiles and laughs and runs. I'm really afraid she might fall and bite it off. She's already bitten it fairly badly twice.

amldaley
12-27-2008, 04:47 PM
lol...my DH used to run with his tongue out as a kid...as an adult, he still sticks it out when he is concentrating really hard on something.

For DD, I think it might be b/c it is one of the only two things she can control at this point. The licking began at the same time her screeching and hollering like Tarzan began. She can control her licking and her voice. Or maybe b/c she is EBF she wants to taste new things?

Interestingly, like your LO, dd doesn't like fuzzy stuff like the cat or the carpet either!

tmonroe
12-28-2008, 09:36 AM
lol...my DH used to run with his tongue out as a kid...as an adult, he still sticks it out when he is concentrating really hard on something.

For DD, I think it might be b/c it is one of the only two things she can control at this point. The licking began at the same time her screeching and hollering like Tarzan began. She can control her licking and her voice. Or maybe b/c she is EBF she wants to taste new things?

Interestingly, like your LO, dd doesn't like fuzzy stuff like the cat or the carpet either!

DD does this too. In the back of our local toys r us there's an echo and she delights at screaming at the top of her lungs to hear the echo. She licks everything she can get her hands on including me.

Melbel
12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
DD1 was a licker too. Once while in a public bathroom with me, she licked the handicap rails, sending me nearly into convulsions (I am an admitted germ phobe). DD2 has been teething since 3 months and just cut her first tooth. She has a 1 track mind about wanting to put everything in her mouth!

MmeSunny
12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
It's the "oral" phase. . . from Freud. Next is ANAL! Can't you just wait!

tmonroe
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
DD1 was a licker too. Once while in a public bathroom with me, she licked the handicap rails, sending me nearly into convulsions (I am an admitted germ phobe). DD2 has been teething since 3 months and just cut her first tooth. She has a 1 track mind about wanting to put everything in her mouth!

I find this story so cute because I am a germ phobe too and if my daughter did this I probably would have called the pediatrician. I am glad I am not the only germ phobe mommy around. LOL

amldaley
12-31-2008, 05:55 PM
I find this story so cute because I am a germ phobe too and if my daughter did this I probably would have called the pediatrician. I am glad I am not the only germ phobe mommy around. LOL

Yeah, this made me want to laugh and gag at the same time!!!!!!!!! I am a germaphobe, too! Some call it an obsession, I just call it "clean".