PDA

View Full Version : Standard cribs vs convertible?

KarenLud
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Which did you choose and why? We are having a hard time making a decision on this. We are on a limited budget so the standard crib fits that bill, but also like the idea of being able to convert the crib to a bed for longer term use. I've not read many good reviews on the convertible cribs once it's time to convert. Thanks in advance for any advice :wavey:

SnuggleBuggles
12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
One downside with the convertible is that if you have a few kids, especially if their crib needs run right into each other, you will have to buy the older ones beds anyway since the crib will be in use. I personally wouldn't go out of my way for a convertible. If you find one you like that fits your budget there's no reason not to get it though. You can probably find a bed that you like in your budget in a few years (think IKEA :)).

Beth

hellokitty
12-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Std sized. The convertible cribs usually cost more, some of them req you buy a conversion kit, and really if you have a child who is abusive to his/her crib, do you really want those teeth marks/scratches as part of a regular bed frame? I don't think it's worth it. I also think that toddler beds are a waste and are something easily skipped. It's very easy for a child to transition directly into a twin or larger sized bed, even if it simply means that you put the mattress on the floor. Plus, as the other poster mentioned, if you have more than one child, it doesn't work out as perfectly as you think it would.

essnce629
12-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Standard crib, for all the reasons already mentioned. You can always get a toddler bed on craigslist for like $30 after they outgrow the crib or go straight to a twin bed.

WatchingThemGrow
12-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Yup - we did a standard crib - passing it down and down again, then we'll sell it or give it to a relative. They stopped making our crib, though, and moved to more of the Build-to-Grow convertible cribs, so there must be something to it.

We knew we weren't in love with the look of any of the convertibles when they are transitioned into a big bed. The headboards and footboards were just too squared off in our eyes.

KarenLud
12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for your responses..I think you have me sold on a standard crib unless more people respond with some reasons why to get a convertible....