PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own or eaten from black dishes?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I need new dishes, I am down to one cereal bowl and am considering buying black dishes. Going back and forth on if this. Anyone have any experience eating from black?

gatorsmom
12-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I need new dishes, I am down to one cereal bowl and am considering buying black dishes. Going back and forth on if this. Anyone have any experience eating from black?

I used to have a dishes set before I was married that had black salad plates and dinner plates that had a black design on them. The black salad plates looked great on top of the dinner plates. I thought they made the food sitting on top of them look more elegant. :) The down side to black is that any chips become immediately visible because they are white.

WatchingThemGrow
12-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, we have dark blue stone dish set from DH. It was the only thing he wanted to keep from his condo, LOL! ITA about the chips. They are obvious. As long as you are prepared to replace them when needed (which you are obviously doing now), I'd say go for it.

Melaine
12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I have inexpensive black stoneware type dishes that we use on an everyday basis and I love them. I agree with PP, the food looks elegant on the plate. I love how they look with my red kitchen!

hellokitty
12-27-2008, 09:34 PM
My roommate in college had black dishes and all I remember is that they got really scuffed up. You could see all the scratches on it from the eating utensils.

mommy111
12-27-2008, 10:06 PM
We've had a black dish set for over 7 years now....they look brand new still, unlike the white ones that get stained more easily, we use them every day AND they look very elegant when guests visit.

ETA: Susan, I didn't see that you were the OP before, I hope you and yours are well.

DrSally
12-27-2008, 10:15 PM
My first set in college were black stoneware from Kmart. I never had a problem with them, although I think I could see the scratches more easily.

misshollygolightly
12-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I've had my black dishes from Target for about 4 years--love them, but yes, the chips do show quite a lot! Doesn't really bother me, but I think that's just because I'm used to them :-) And a chip on a plate is a chip on a plate--no matter what kind, KWIM?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-27-2008, 10:37 PM
We've had a black dish set for over 7 years now....they look brand new still, unlike the white ones that get stained more easily, we use them every day AND they look very elegant when guests visit.

ETA: Susan, I didn't see that you were the OP before, I hope you and yours are well.

Thanks for your well wishes!

MommyAllison
12-28-2008, 03:04 AM
We have black salad plates (stoneware type) that we've been using pretty heavily for about 5 years. No chips yet, though they are a bit "scuffed" looking like a PP said. Other than that they look great!

salsah
12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
my parents have a black pfaltzgraff set that they have been using for 30 years now. i grew up using it on a daily basis. love it. of course after thirty years, there are some chips and scratches, but not bad enough to stop me from getting my own set. actually some pieces still look like new. the dinner plates are the worst because not only do they get the most use but they also are scratched from knives. now that i think about it, the bowls, mugs, etc. are still in great condition (aside from some chipped pieces). it's only the dinner plates that are scratched.

i'm just waiting until most of my corelle pieces shatter so that i can buy a new stoneware set. i'm fairly certain that i want to get a black set.

brittone2
12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I babysat for a family for years that had awesome black dishes. They (including their kids) were always such healthy eaters, and I remember how the food always looked so amazingly colorful against the black dishes.

Staraglimmer
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I grew up with black dishes. They were nice. The only real problem was when they got chipped, it was really noticeable. Good luck with your new dishes!