PDA

View Full Version : Which parks for boys ages 9 & 11?

fivi2
12-27-2008, 09:57 PM
(my nephews). My sister and her boys were not able to go with us as planned in November. She is now planning to go in early Feb with her boys (9&11) who have never been. She is not much of a planner, so I am going to have to try and nudge her in the right direction ;)

I believe they will do two parks. One boy really likes animals, they both love star wars, I don't know if they have much experience with roller coasters, but they are pretty fearless! Is Magic Kingdom too young?

Or should they do Universal?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

eta: I know there is some sort of Star Wars thing at DHS, but is there anything else? We didn't do this park and nothing in the books really appealed to me, but it is hard to get a feel for it just by reading the guide books! It seems like it would be hard to fill a day there?

JTsMom
12-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I think knowing how they feel about coasters is key. IMHO, MK is key to any visit, at any age. It's the most Disney-ish, iykwim. I think it has something to appeal to all ages.

You're right about Star Tours at DHS. They might also enjoy Tower of Terror and Rocking Rollercoaster there, and Midway Mania is pretty cool too. If they do that, tell them to make sure they get fastpasses for MM asap. If they are into cars/stunt stuff, there are those shows as well.

Epcot has Soarin and Test Track that might appeal to them, and Innovation has some cool computer game type stuff to do.

AK has Expedition Everest. We did the safari ride which was cool, but we didn't do any other animal related stuff.

The only other Star Wars thing I know about is the build your own light saber thing at Downtown Disney's toy store. Disney also has some type of Star Wars Days that I know nothing about.

It's hard to say which parks are best- I think they all have something to offer to any age group, it just depends on what they like.

As far as Universal goes, if they do turn out to be thrill ride junkies, Islands of Adventure is great for that!

fivi2
12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the breakdown! I will run the suggestions by my sister :)

egoldber
12-30-2008, 11:11 AM
If they only do 2 parks, I would have them do the MK and DHS. Although Epcot has some of the most popular rides at WDW (Soarin, Mission Space and Test Track).

hellokitty
12-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Is there any way the boys can see a list of the rides and then they can let you know which ones they are most interested it? That may be a better way to gauge what they will like better.