PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof mattress cover

KrisM
12-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Where can I order a good one online? DS1 and DD have them on their beds, but I don't know the manu of them. We need a Queen for us. I'd rather order than drive to the furniture store.

WatchingThemGrow
12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I ordered one from Kohls.com with a friend who has a card. We got a ton of bedding using a sale and 2 coupon codes. I thought it was the Total Protection one, but it doesn't seem to say waterproof. The one I got for DD's bed was waterproof. Below is a link to a waterproof one they sell.

So...I only ordered one, and I figured out that if it does get wet and needs to be washed, I need another one to make it through the rest of the night. I'll order another one soon. They take a while to dry. http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page_multiple.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24892469421&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374752659484&bmUID=1230433348371

Jenny_A
12-27-2008, 11:24 PM
We recently bought DD's furniture from Rooms To Go Kids and they sold us one for $50.00! I love it!! It's terry cloth on one side and then plastic on the other. It doesn't sound plasticky when the kids sleep on it. Now, they guaranteed mine saying that if anything gets through it they would replace my mattresses. But, I got my mattresses from Rooms To Go Kids so I would double check that guarantee.

Anyway, DD has wet her bed many many times since then (we have issues!!) and two nights ago she had diareha in her bed in the middle of the night. It went through to the mattress protector but nothing was on the the mattress!! And when washed, it all came out spotless!

So, Rooms To Go Kids for $50 is my recommendation.

HTH,
Jenny

Fairy
12-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Target. Cheap enough to buy two.

Jenny_A
12-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh, sorry, I reread your post. I was thinking you wanted one for the kids. You're looking for YOUR bed. You probably don't need one made for kids. But, it is waterproof!

Sorry, maybe my post will help someone else ;-)

Jenny

JBaxter
12-27-2008, 11:29 PM
walmart... really cheep less that $15

KrisM
12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes, we want one as good as our kids! They will climb into bed with us often. DS1 is potty trained, but still occassionally pees at night and I don't want a wet mattress. We figure we have 2 more kids to get to that point with too, so we want a good one.

I didn't realize I could get one at Target or Walmart. I've only seen the mattress pads there and I don't want the "pad" part, just the "cover" part. Will check both places now though...and Kohl's!

KrisM
12-28-2008, 12:04 AM
We recently bought DD's furniture from Rooms To Go Kids and they sold us one for $50.00! I love it!! It's terry cloth on one side and then plastic on the other. It doesn't sound plasticky when the kids sleep on it. Now, they guaranteed mine saying that if anything gets through it they would replace my mattresses. But, I got my mattresses from Rooms To Go Kids so I would double check that guarantee.

Anyway, DD has wet her bed many many times since then (we have issues!!) and two nights ago she had diareha in her bed in the middle of the night. It went through to the mattress protector but nothing was on the the mattress!! And when washed, it all came out spotless!

So, Rooms To Go Kids for $50 is my recommendation.

HTH,
Jenny

I can't find it on their site. Could you post a link? It sounds like what I want.

Jenny_A
12-28-2008, 01:29 AM
I didn't find it on the Rooms To Go Kids website either. I did find this one on the Rooms To Go website http://www.roomstogo.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=showItem&ipac_id=9635. I'm not sure it's the same thing. I can't quite tell from the picture. It looks like it does have the guarantee though. I would call Customer Service and maybe just ask some questions about the guarantee and how exactly does it protect your mattress.

They told me I could wash mine 365 days a year and it should not break down. So far it's done everything they said it would. I asked the sales woman if I needed to put a mattress pad on as well and she said, no, she would just put the protector down and then the fitted sheet which is what I do.

I did look at Target and Walmart but the only ones I found were the plastic encasings that you put on your mattress. I probably would have gone that way but then the sales lady sold me this when I actually bought the mattress (DH says I'm a big sucker :-). Certainly if other posters are finding good protection for cheaper, go that way. I know $50 + on a mattress protector is a lot. But so far I really like the guarantee and am happy with the money I spent.

Let me know how else I can help!

Jenny

MommyAllison
12-28-2008, 03:01 AM
We bought a couple different ones for DD at Target and both have ripped in numerous places, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend going with the cheaper ones. We need a new one for her bed as well so I'll be watching this thread!

KrisM
12-28-2008, 08:33 AM
The one on the Rooms To Go Site looks about right. The one the kids have, which I bought with their mattresses, is terry on top and some sort of plastic underneath and is nice and thin and completely repels fluid. It's not hot, either.

AngelaS
12-28-2008, 09:05 AM
The one I have is from Penneys and on sale it was under $20.

I've had others from both Target and Walmart and they shredded in the wash! :(

Jenny_A
12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
The one on the Rooms To Go Site looks about right. The one the kids have, which I bought with their mattresses, is terry on top and some sort of plastic underneath and is nice and thin and completely repels fluid. It's not hot, either.

Yes, that's what DD's is... terry cloth, plastic, and thin. It's just so hard to tell from online pictures if that's what you're getting. The JC Penney's one sounds promising too!

Let us know what you go with and how you like it!

Jenny

DD - 2
DS - due March 09

o_mom
12-28-2008, 02:37 PM

We got one like this at IKEA - super cheap and DS1 has been fine with it. I haven't really slept on it myself, but for the price it might be worth a try.

pastrygirl
12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
That terry cloth one looks like the one I got for my son's twin mattress. I want one for my bed, but I don't remember the brand! It's really nice because it doesn't make any crinkling noises at all. It's completely quiet and feels comfortable.

I think I remember reading it's the one they recommend for Tempurpedic mattresses. I wish I could find the brand! I thought they had some kind of patent or video or something.

ETA: I found it!!!! http://www.platinummattressprotector.com/

cmo
12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Lands' End has one that is not cheap, but worth every penny! We have them for all our DC's twin beds, and they were about 50 bucks a pop, but worth it because they are easy to wash and not crinkly or crackly when sleeping on them. They come in all mattress sizes, and are a good bet for the long haul.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/WaterproofMattressPad~80983_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::WHI&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000265&origin=index

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2008, 10:41 PM
PSA - Do yourself a favor and buy TWO of them. DD just barfed all over her bed and we had to move a bookcase to pull out her trundle. Another waterproof mattress pad for her full bed would've been easy to put on.

Oh, the one from Kohl's did not leak at all. It is very comfy too! I thought the original price was about $50.

Don't these things go on sale during January as part of the White Sales that everyone runs?

essnce629
12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
We have this one from The Company Store on my son's twin bed and plan on getting the same one for our bed before baby #2 arrives.

Ultimate Flannel Waterproof mattress pad
http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Basics+Mattress+Pads/3502/MA40X/&An=102&A=14745

Percycat
12-29-2008, 02:57 PM
We bought terry cloth pads from Overstock. They are quiet, easy to put on, stay in place, and work great. We bought them in a three pack bundle, but it looks like they are only sold in single packages right now.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Total-Protection-Mattress-Pad/853521/product.html

The pads are almost identical to the "$100" pad given to us when we bought our matress from the bed store. We have them on every bed in our house and a couple extras so one can be in the laundry.

angela

MamaKath
12-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Targewt and Walmart both have decent quilted, washable ones.

WatchingThemGrow
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
If anyone else is looking for one, we picked up the Kohl's down alternative waterproof mattress pad in a full size for $22 shipped. I found a code somewhere for 10% off after the sale price, but last time I remember ordering with a friend and getting 50% off, then another 30% off.

OP, did you end up with a RTG one?

srhs
01-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Oh, this is key! I tried so many when pregnant with DS1 and was miserably hot with them all! I've been hesistant to put one back on even with the occassional spit up/leaky diaper.

Emmas Mom
01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Lands' End has one that is not cheap, but worth every penny! We have them for all our DC's twin beds, and they were about 50 bucks a pop, but worth it because they are easy to wash and not crinkly or crackly when sleeping on them. They come in all mattress sizes, and are a good bet for the long haul.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/WaterproofMattressPad~80983_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::WHI&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000265&origin=index

:yeahthat: Love, love, love our LE waterproof mattress pads! So much that we have one on EVERY bed in the house. Toddler mattress, twin, full & king. ITA...worth every penny. You would NEVER know they're waterproof. Comfortable, completely silent & they fit very well. I have cheaper back ups for the girls beds but only use them if there's an accident while I'm washing our LE ones.

doberbrat
01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
havent read all the responses but I bought ours at Ikea. there's a synthetic rubber backing and cotton on top w/a bit of padding cushion. VERY comfy, not hot and certainly not crinkly. they were ~$30 for a queen

catpagmo
01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
:yeahthat: Love, love, love our LE waterproof mattress pads! So much that we have one on EVERY bed in the house. Toddler mattress, twin, full & king. ITA...worth every penny. You would NEVER know they're waterproof. Comfortable, completely silent & they fit very well. I have cheaper back ups for the girls beds but only use them if there's an accident while I'm washing our LE ones.

Is this mattress pad hot? It looks like a nice one, but I don't want to be super hot at night. I also need to get one for DD. She sweats like crazy at night, and I think it's due to her cheapo Target mattress cover.

Thanks!

avd3875
01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I've been reading this thread for a few days now and just made a purchase. I tried to get one at Kohl's but they were sold out of the twin size, so I ended up at Sears. I bought the Sealy brand one that is on sale right now for $29.99. I'm going to put it on DS' bed tonight. I'm hoping the 100% cotton cover won't overheat my super sweaty boy. I'll post when I know how we like it.

JTsMom
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Bumping this up b/c now I'm looking for one. Anyone tried anything new that they loved/hated?

WatchingThemGrow- are you still liking your Kohl's one? They are on sale right now. Is it hot or crinkly sounding at all?

Thanks!

niccig
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
We have this one from The Company Store on my son's twin bed and plan on getting the same one for our bed before baby #2 arrives.

Ultimate Flannel Waterproof mattress pad
http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Basics+Mattress+Pads/3502/MA40X/&An=102&A=14745

We have this one and I need to get a 2nd one. It takes a little while to dry in the dryer.

I also have the pads that go over the flat sheet, so you just remove those rather than stripping the entire pad. I still have a mattress protector underneath the flat sheet as sometimes DS moves off the pad that's on top of the sheet.

avd3875
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
So far we're happy with the one I picked up at Sears. We're still using a small pad on top of the fitted sheet, but having the cover under the fitted sheet means that I can get by without the small pad in case I've fallen behind on laundry.

This is the pad we use on top of the fitted sheet:
http://www.lullabylane.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14056&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C22%2C93%2C224&iProductID=14056

It's not perfect, but with that and the mattress cover we can make it until morning without stripping the bed.

I keep thinking that maybe someday DS will actually wake up in the middle of the night to pee. Or maybe he'll go off to college with overnight underpants!

niccig
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
So far we're happy with the one I picked up at Sears. We're still using a small pad on top of the fitted sheet, but having the cover under the fitted sheet means that I can get by without the small pad in case I've fallen behind on laundry.

This is the pad we use on top of the fitted sheet:
http://www.lullabylane.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14056&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C22%2C93%2C224&iProductID=14056

It's not perfect, but with that and the mattress cover we can make it until morning without stripping the bed.

We have that pad as well. Many a night I only have to change that pad and not the sheets. But if DS moves off it, or under it, then we need the mattress protector UNDER the sheet to protect the mattress.

KrisM
02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
We have that pad as well. Many a night I only have to change that pad and not the sheets. But if DS moves off it, or under it, then we need the mattress protector UNDER the sheet to protect the mattress.

I might get that for my parents house. When DS wets at night, he strips his clothes off and joins us, naked, in our bed.

I ended up with a Protect A Bed for us. It's what's on DD's bed and it's worked well for her since summer and we've liked it so far on ours. I do have to wash it, but the mattress is dry.

o_mom
02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I am still loving our IKEA one. DS1 has tested it a couple times - once with a major pull-up leak and another time with puke. Nothing got through. It does not sound crinkly at all - I can't even tell it is waterproof when I lay on it. He doesn't appear to be too hot, but it's the middle of winter, so hard to tell for sure.

WatchingThemGrow
02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
WatchingThemGrow- are you still liking your Kohl's one? They are on sale right now. Is it hot or crinkly sounding at all?

We actually pulled the new Kohl's one down from the attic and it is on DD's bed right now. Neither of the 2 different waterproof mattress pads I've bought from there sound at all crinkly. They're just a nice, soft padding. Really, I can't tell if they seem hot b/c the temp has been around 30 degrees F every night for a loooooong time. Like a PP said about theirs...I would have no idea they are waterproof unless I watched them work or looked at the packaging.

We stuck an extra Ultimate Crib Sheet under the top sheet just to keep from having to wash the mattress cover and it has seemed to be comfy as well.

JTsMom
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, thanks guys. That gives me a couple of options. I bought some waterproof thing for our mattress way back when DS was an infant, and it was awful! It was so hot to sleep on. Didn't breathe at all.

JTsMom
02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Just wanted to say I ended up with the Ikea mattress pad. If anyone else is still looking, my Ikea had queen ones on clearance for less than $12! Don't know if it's the same at all of the stores, but it may be worth a try.

niccig
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I am still loving our IKEA one. DS1 has tested it a couple times - once with a major pull-up leak and another time with puke. Nothing got through. It does not sound crinkly at all - I can't even tell it is waterproof when I lay on it. He doesn't appear to be too hot, but it's the middle of winter, so hard to tell for sure.

Oh good. I got a full size one, so that I have 2 for DS's bed. It was $17, not as good as JT Mom's deal, but still much cheaper than the other mattress protector we have. We haven't tried it out yet, DS hasn't wet the bed in over a week!