PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help! Hotel crib #($*#) - WWYD?

ThreeofUs
12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Help, please! I'm trapped in a hotel with a crib that is so unusable that I can't even get DS2 over the sides and onto the mattress. I have no side rails so I'm afraid to be co-sleeping on these full-sized beds. Should I go out and buy a pack and play? (if so, which one? I've never needed one before....) WWYD?

o_mom
12-28-2008, 10:42 AM
How old is DS2 (brain fade here)? I did some cosleeping in hotel beds when they were young. I stayed all the way to one side and put them in the middle with pillows on the other side. Depends on the age how you feel about that.

Target is having clearance on PNPs right now, so if you can scoot to one try there first. Just get the cheapest one made by Graco. You don't need anything fancy like a changer, bassinet, etc unless the baby is very young (< 2 mos). For a newborn a bassinet is nice, but they outgrow it very quickly.

ETA: grab an extra sheet for whatever you end up with. :)

alexsmommy
12-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I've co-slept in hotel beds using extra pillows shoved up under the sheets as a barrier on DS's side. If that doesn't seem like it will work, first I'd call the front desk and see if they have any other cribs or PNP. If not (or the replacement is just as bad) I'd run and get a PNP. Like PP said, nothing fancy, whatever clearance model Graco they have. Then I'd Craigs List it when you get back home. Sorry so stressful - good luck.

Fairy
12-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I'd get the mini-PNP that Graco makes if you can find it. Stupid hotel cribs! Ugh.

KrisM
12-28-2008, 11:12 AM
How many nights? If it's just one or two, can the baby sleep in the carseat? Not ideal, but maybe?

I've also coslept in a hotel and just put the baby in the middle.

bubbaray
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
What's wrong with the hotel PNP? Is it dirty or is it not set up properly??

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Are you visiting family or friends who may have one you can borrow? I know someone would let you borrow one if they knew the situation.

Next step would be to run to Target or Walmart or TRU and get the most basic Graco you can find. Probably in the $75 range. The cheaper ones are online only, I think.

ThreeofUs
12-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I've co-slept in hotel beds using extra pillows shoved up under the sheets as a barrier on DS's side.

AHA! This will probably do it! DS just turned 3 months and is starting to roll and scoot, so I was afraid to do just pillows. This sounds like the perfect solution.

ThreeofUs
12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
What's wrong with the hotel PNP? Is it dirty or is it not set up properly??

It's an institutional crib that's about 40" high, with a mattress all the way at the bottom. Fine if you're tall and can reach that far, I guess, but I tried to mime put DS in it and ended up falling into the crib. Must have been a sight!

Wouldn't have been a laughing matter if I had been holding him.

ThreeofUs
12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I really (REALLY) appreciate the advice.

I have to buy a PNP for our trailer anyway, so I think I'll take advantage of the sales and get one soon.

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2008, 12:12 PM
PnP or just have baby sleep between you. Those work for us.

GL!

Beth

vonfirmath
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
We got our basic, no-frills Graco for $50 at Babies R us less than 2 years ago. (not a sale price)

gatorsmom
12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
It's an institutional crib that's about 40" high, with a mattress all the way at the bottom. Fine if you're tall and can reach that far, I guess, but I tried to mime put DS in it and ended up falling into the crib. Must have been a sight!

Wouldn't have been a laughing matter if I had been holding him.

I know exactly the kind you are talking about. There was one set up in our room waiting for us when we went on vacation when Cha was 18 months old. It was great for keeping him in but if I had to lay him in it on his back like a newborn it would have been really unhandy. Actually, I'm short so it wouldn't have worked at all.

Hope your visit goes well!