PDA

View Full Version : Best stroller for WDW(2.5yr toddler and 7 mos baby)

kusumat
12-28-2008, 10:40 AM
We already have 2 strollers - Phil & Teds sport double and Peg Pliko P3 single. I don't think either will work well at DNW. Any recommedation for a light/stable/good quality/affordable double stroller? Also one that can be folded easily because we plan to check it at the gate(airplane). Where can I get a good deal? TIA!

JTsMom
12-29-2008, 09:33 AM
I would try cross posting this on the stroller board. I'm a complete stroller dope- I only have a P3, and I use it for everything. That's what I took to Disney, and it was just ok. Something much lighter would have worked better imo. Definitely something with a decent sized basket, and a cup holder too. Probably a removable snack tray would be a plus as well. Also, something really easy for the child to get in and out of independently if possible.

On the other hand, I was given a Disney rental for free towards the end of the day, and that sucker was awesome! They are really $ to rent, but it is one other option.

Momof3Labs
12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I love my P3 for Disney - big hood, lays flat, big enough basket, not tippy, snack tray. The kids can climb in and out by pulling out the snack tray. We've taken it to Disney 3 times, and it is my first choice. We've also used a Mac, but it is so tippy!! It is probably a better stroller for a preschooler, though. But you have two kids so a single isn't enough.

I would prioritize - first, you really need a comfy stroller with the features necessary for hours and hours in the stroller. It must be comfy for you to push for those hours and hours, too! Second, it must be manageable to fold and take on the parking trams or busses - but I wouldn't bring a stroller that compromises on features and your comfort just for something that is easier to use on the bus (for a few minutes a day - vs. the hours you'll spend pushing). I know very little about doubles so can't make a recommendation, but those are the things to consider.

WatchingThemGrow
12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
So...what about this...when we went to NYC this summer with a 2.25 yo and a 7 mo old, we took our lightweight, comfy enough single stroller (which was a Triumph) AND the Ergo carrier. We actually threw the Bjorn active in there also just in case. I'm thinking that a day at Disney and a day in Manhattan are similar, right??

Your toddler can walk with one adult while the baby is in the stroller or you can put the toddler on someone's back at that time. When the toddler seems too heavy, put her in the stroller and wear the baby on the front or back. I would think (besides the non-air wheels) your P3 would be fine b/c of the toddler step and versatility.

Honestly, it worked out great for us because we used what we already had, didn't schlep around a double stroller that sat empty 1/2 the time b/c our toddler needed to be walking in the parks and such. You're not planning on going to the park by yourself with both DC, only with DH, right?

Momof3Labs
12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
The big difference between Disney and Manhattan is that most people do Disney for 6-7 days in a row. It depends, too, on what time of year the OP goes (summer is wickedly hot, and the kids will probably need their own space) - if it is a crowded time of year, I would want both kids in a stroller full time (or one in a carrier, one in a stroller). When it's busy, it's not safe for a 2.5yo to be walking around Disney. Other guests don't always watch down for 3' tall kiddos.

WatchingThemGrow
12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
IIRC from a previous thread, the OP said Feb. with DH on a business trip, and she wasn't sure if they should go at all. That's why I was thinking it wouldn't be day after day in the park and it wouldn't be hot. I was thinking they'd probably just hang nearby while DH was in meetings, then go to the parks with him when meetings were over. I could be totally wrong, though.

For us, for a quick trip, I could manage this way, I think. For a "real" trip for a longer time, ITA about a double, with a good canopy, and every convenience you can imagine. We always take our BJCED to FL, so that's what we'll be taking when we go.

egoldber
12-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I would take the Phil&Ted. They are very popular at WDW.

It could easily be very hot in February. Or it could be cool and rainy. February is hard to predict. :)

hellokitty
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Combi double. You want something that is light and easy to fold. Esp for when you are going to catch the train and monorail. We brought a cheapo kolcraft double umbrella to WDL and it was HEAVY to lug around and doesn't stand up on its own when it's folded, which was a PITA. On our last trip, we brought a combi double and it's just so much easier and also has nice sunshades. I found mine at a thrift store, so it was only $35. My regular stroller is a P&T with doubles kit and I just can't imagine lugging that thing on and off the monorail and train with a toddler and baby too.

natmurr
12-31-2008, 09:57 PM
We are stroller mates! - We have the p3 and P&T sport too, and like you I 've decided neither will be great for WDW with my 3 and 5yr olds.

I have joined a stroller swap for my stay. Its for a Mac Twin Techno and the buy in is $23. The stroller "lives" at Disney in luggage services and the previous user labels it with your name for pick up. You use the stroller for the duration of the stay and then pack it up for the next user on the list.

It works out perfect for us as we don't really need a double stroller for the airport. (Bringing the P3 for our baby as he is staying with Grandma in Florida while we are at WDW)

Here is a link to the swap:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1878124

Natalie

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
We brought our P&T E3, but honestly, did not use it much. I had my Ergo, and packed DS2 (16 months at the time, 18 pounds, not walking yet) all day every day. When DS1 wanted to walk, we put DS2 in the stroller. Neither kid wanted to sit in the back jumpseat of the E3 (couldn't see everything that was happening at Disney), it ended up holding our stuff.

My vote: bring a single with a good basket and the Ergo.

HTH,
Jennifer

jjordan
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I pretty much agree with Jennifer (except that you don't necessarily need a good basket on the stroller). We just got back from Disney with our 2.5 year old and our 6 month old. We brought two single umbrella strollers (Zooper twist and Silver Cross pop) and planned to take them both to the park every day. We did that on the first day and from then on out, took just one stroller (for the toddler) and used a sling for the baby. The sling was much better for the baby for many reasons. Basically, you can't take strollers on/in attractions, but you can take a baby in a sling. So rather than keep taking the baby in and out of the stroller, it's easier to just have them in the sling all the time.

I was glad we had the two strollers for the airport. We used one to carry the carseats and the other for the toddler. Also we used two strollers on the one day we planned to browse around the world showcase in Epcot and not really go in/on "attractions."

It definitely helps a LOT to have a stroller that collapses very small and easily. At least, it helps if you're taking Disney transportation. I guess it wouldn't matter as much if you were driving.

HTH!
Jill