PDA

View Full Version : Used Dutailier - how much would you pay?

wifecat
12-28-2008, 03:13 PM
We found a Dutailier glider and ottoman that is in excellent used condition. It was used for 2 years. The owners paid $750. If I ordered the exact combo now, it would be $800. They are asking $350 for it but she says she can still "be a little flexible" with the price. What should I be willing to pay for it?

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2008, 03:27 PM
They may have overpaid ;) I've got the Grande (943 series) model with the pull out nursing stool. We love it. Not sure I'd expect that much from it used, though. I'm not sure what kind of warranty there would be on it 2 years later. We've never needed anything with ours, but you never know.

Does it recline, lock, and lock in multiple positions? Does it have the nursing stool? Swivel?

citymama
12-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I agree with the PP - that sounds exorbitant. I have a totally nice Dutaillier we got for $300 and I use a $25 Medela nursing stool with it (even now, not nursing). I see Dutaillier gliders on craigslist for under $100 quite regularly. I'd pay maybe $200 for a used set? Others may disagree, but that would be my outside limit!

wifecat
12-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Her picture makes it look like the ottoman does not have the nursing stool, and I sent an email asking about the other features. On Craigslist, the highest I've seen a dutailier listed for was $150, but I don't know about the model. This one is a model 995. If ordering for myself, I was going to get the 926 (about $100 cheaper than the 995).

The best price I've found was online at nurturecenter.com. Is there a better place to order new ones? (I need to be able to special order the finish/fabric) Do I need it to recline/swivel/lock?

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2008, 03:58 PM
We have LOVED the recline/lock features. Our space doesn't have room for swiveling, so we didn't get it. It doesn't look as wide as the one you picked out. Do you think it is? We've really appreciated the width when DD climbs in for DS' storytime. Is it the finish and colors you were hoping for?

We ordered from furniturelandsouth in NC. It was cheaper than our local baby store that carried them, and delivery was essentially free since other stuff was already coming on the truck.

The ones friends have gotten from CL have been more basic models that I wouldn't have loved quite as much as the one I picked out for myself. We plan on using it for another 3-4 more years (already had it almost 3). The nursing stool pull-out thing was nice at the beginning for our DC who take an hour to nurse -argh. Maybe this one will be a quick one.

Snow mom
12-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I think the recline and lock are both good features (I imagine the lock will be most useful in preventing little fingers from getting crushed when DD is able to get around her nursery on her own.) I don't know the model numbers on Dutailiers but I imagine any model that cost so much would have both features. I probably would go and see what type of condition it is in before deciding whether to pay that much. I would be willing to pay $300 or 350 if it is truly in EUC on better.

~Lisa

amandabea
12-28-2008, 08:03 PM
We had a nice Dutallier chair & ottoman in cherry with sand colored, microfiber cushions and I sold it on CL for $280 - I think it was $700+ originally. Would have kept it, but we're short on space and not planning any more kids, but it was the most comfortable chair in the house. My DH didn't think I'd get that much for it - there were a lot of lower-end Dutalliers for less than $200, but they weren't as nice and the other more comparable models listed for more. I'd go look at it and if it is exactly what you want then make an offer (I probably wouldn't pay or expect to get more than $300). If it doesn't lock or recline, then I wouldn't get it.

KBecks
12-28-2008, 09:05 PM
The most I have spent on a Craigslist Dutalier is $150. (I have bought 3 used gliders, love them!)

If $800 is accurate, I would not exceed 40% of purchase price. It's up to you what it's worth to you.

bubbaray
12-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Dutalier has many different styles of gliders & ottomans, so they very well could have paid that new. My set was over that new, and its about 8 years old. I don't know what I'd pay used.

spunkybaby
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I bought my Dutalier glider--recline, matching ottoman w/nursing stool--etc. for $450 at a Lullaby Lane warehouse sale, so I definitely wouldn't buy a used one for $350. Before I bought my glider, I looked on Craigslist for used gliders. I think the nicest Dutalier glider/ottoman sets in the best used condition were $150-$200.

thewebbie
12-29-2008, 02:43 AM
I will pay more for a used glider from a clean family than from Lullaby Lane's (or other stores') warehouse sale. The ex floor models have seen abuse, people putting their feet (with shoes on etc) on the ottoman, etc. Been at their store and seen those.

spunkybaby
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I will pay more for a used glider from a clean family than from Lullaby Lane's (or other stores') warehouse sale. The ex floor models have seen abuse, people putting their feet (with shoes on etc) on the ottoman, etc. Been at their store and seen those.

Umm...mine was brand-new, not an ex-floor model. I did see some at the warehouse sale that were not as nice, but mine was great.

wifecat
12-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I decided $350 was more than I wanted to pay for it. It's not the fabic I wanted, doesn't have a nursing stool with the ottoman, and doesn't recline or lock. Back to searching for a good deal on a new one! Thanks for the advice, everyone.

hudson2001
01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
We are looking at a used set from CL tomorrow. It's $250. That's about as high as I'm willing to go, depending on how comfy it is. Of course, it sounds like a bargain, as we priced new ones yesterday at BuyBuyBaby. :hysterical:

thewebbie
01-03-2009, 02:33 AM
I bought the 'Best Chair' brand, also highly rated at baby bargains. It is quiet and sturdy, and I am happy with the look. I can't tell any difference against Dutailiers I tried at the store.

Be careful about Lullaby Lane's warehouse sale, btw. I went there and almost picked up a carseat, but we had a cellphone with internet connection and was able to do comparison shopping. Lullaby Lane's sale prices are still higher than Babiesrus. I found the same thing with some cribs they had on sale, vs online deals at regular prices.