PDA

View Full Version : Bike seat or trailer?

infomama
12-28-2008, 03:52 PM
For those who enjoy the outdoors (biking and camping) with your little ones...what did you choose? Bike seat or trailer?

DD2 will be 20ish months next summer and we are looking into one for her. DD1 is up on 2 wheels but may join in the Burly (who knows). Any suggestions based on experience?
TIA

bubbaray
12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
We have a Trek double bike trailer (made by Chariot). It works really well and can accommodate both of my girls (however, they only tolerate it together for short rides). DH purchased a Kettler seat, but had to return it as it didn't work with his bike.

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2008, 04:03 PM
We have both. Got a Burley new through a friend's bike shop. DD didn't enjoy it until after 18 mos., not sure she totally did after that. We picked up a NIB Topeak seat on CL for $35 for DS (too small to ride in Burley) and he loves it. Now when we ride, we each have a DC behind us. My friends that own the bike shops are split on the decision. One likes seats, one likes trailers. Neither have children.

mom_hanna
12-29-2008, 12:43 AM
My dd loved the trailer, so we used that exclusively. ds, however, hated the trailer, so we got a topeak seat that is on my bike, and he happily rides in that. dd is now on two wheels, but for long rides, we have a tag-a-long bike that she rides with dh. If we are carrying a lot of stuff, I pull the trailer with our stuff loaded in that, while ds sits in the topeak seat. So to answer your question, I think it depends on what your kid likes. BTW, ds and dd CAN NOT ride together in the trailer. They just fight.

MamaKath
12-29-2008, 10:41 PM
I wish we had done the trailer. We did a bike seat and while dd liked the view, the balance thing made it something we only used on well paved roads for short trips. Now we do a trail along bike with great success, which has made me wish we had done the trailer from the start.

pinay
12-30-2008, 01:46 AM
DD is 20 months now and has done well with the bike trailer since we got it about a month ago. She's actually taken some decent naps while in there :)