PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions for '09

Melaine
12-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Anyone thinking these over?
I am trying to organize and prioritize....hoping that I can make some small changes that will have dramatic effects on our quality of life, ykwim? I don't want to over-commit though, so trying to pick my battles at this point. Curious what others are planning to work on....

WatchingThemGrow
12-28-2008, 11:01 PM
No measurable way to gauge my progress in place yet, but... I REALLY want to be a better (read more efficient and organized) SAHM.

Friends IRL often joke that we ended up with advanced degrees in various fields, but we don't know how to plan meals/cook for our family for a week or to keep our homes clean and in good repair.

I'm reading this book about feeding/cooking:
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Feeding-Healthy-Family-Orchestrating/dp/0967118921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230519548&sr=8-1

and next I'll move to this one about Housekeeping:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Science-Keeping-House/dp/0743272862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230519573&sr=1-1

with a little bit of FLYLady in the mix. Any ideas about how to measure my progress toward these goals is appreciated.

jacksmomtobe
12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Mine is going to be to try a new recipe each week. I've been in such a rut cooking wise. I used to cook with so much more variety. Right now I dread the what should we have for dinner conversation. I also plan on continuing to organize a drawer or area at a time goal but getting more creative with meals is my main resolution.

jgenie
12-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Right now DH does all the cooking for us. My immediate goal is to cook one night each week and hopefully progress from there. I also want to make prayer a REAL part of my life. Those are the two things I'm going to concentrate on.

gatorsmom
12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Ugh, I know what I need to do whether it's a New Year's resolution or not. I have to lose about 15 to 20 pounds. I feel miserable with this extra weight that I havn't lost since the twins' delivery. The problem is not the motivation to do it. The problem is that I don't know when I will find the time. I can't even find the time to do the filing for our business right now. I need about an hour per day that easily fits into my routine. I also need to cook about 2-3 healthy meals per week. I double the recipe and then we eat healthy for 2 nights. But it;s going to be hard to find the time for that too. I think I"m going to have to get strict with a daily routine to fit those extra activities in.

I've also been trying and plan to continue this year with sitting down with Gator and Cha to do activities/crafts/schoolwork in the afternoons at least twice per week.

Honestly, if I can do these, I'll be very surprised.

Melaine
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I think I am going to make a schedule and put everything on there that I want to become a normal part of my day. Then my new year's resolution will be just "follow the schedule" instead of 50 overwhelming things! Will that work?!?
jgenie, I am also desperate to work on my prayer life and relationship with the Lord. I have a read through the bible in one year Bible that I really like and will be starting that this week (again). I would also like to pick a verse each week to meditate on and write it down for the mirror, fridge, or wherever that I will see it often.
Also, I think I am going to start doing a SHAPE pilates DVD and I am debating over doing WW, which seems confusing so far, or just cutting out the bad stuff out of my diet, like eliminating soda and stop making dessert at home constantly, ice cream, stuff like that.
If I really get organized I will make a two week meal plan and just rotate through those. But, let's be realistic....doubt it will happen! I have been doing better about making meals ahead and freezing them, so that has helped the last month or two. Oh, if I could spend less money that would be great too! lol

DietCokeLover
12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
So many things to work on. It feels too overwhelming. I was doing a menu for the week which was so helpful, but somehow I got off track. I think I'd like to do that again. Also, now that DS is sleeping (for the first time in a year), I'd love to find the energy to do some pilates or something helpful to myself. I'm afraid I have turned in to the "blob". I'm sure DH loves being married to me these days. ha
I also need to be a better steward of our money. I keep finding so many good deals that it is hard though.
Yep, way too many things to work on. I'm tired just thinking about it.

cono0507
12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Friends IRL often joke that we ended up with advanced degrees in various fields, but we don't know how to plan meals/cook for our family for a week or to keep our homes clean and in good repair.

I can totally relate! :) This has been my goal too. I've really enjoyed the Home Comforts book and I REALLY need to get serious about meal planning. It is crazy how often 4pm rolls around and I have no idea what to do for dinner.