PDA

View Full Version : Human Pacifiar

MotorcycleMom
12-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi! I am new to posting on this sight but I visit it quite frequently just to find out helpful information (which I do!).

I Need HELP...my 4 mos. old DD wants to use me as a human pacifiar and I am not liking it! She will NOT take a pacifiar....any suggestions?

Here is out schedule: 8 pm: nurse to sleep (would like to avoid this);
8:30 put DD in her porta crib (next to our bed)
9:00 DD is awake wanting to sooth herself back to sleep by using me as a pacifiar.

Sleeps from about 9 pm till 1:30 am. Then at 2 am this starts all over and I am usually up every out until 6 am trying to get her to sleep and transition her back to her crib.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

carolinamama
12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I feel like a human pacifier sometimes too. It's not fun. I have some suggestions and I'm sure you will also get some good ones from other people.

1. Co-sleep and try to sleep/doze through all your DD's pacifier needs. But I doubt this is the option for you since you are trying to get her to stop.

2. Is is possible to move your DD to another room so she won't smell/hear/see you so much?

3. Have someone else (ie DH) respond to her for comfort. Sometimes this works with DS and sometimes it doesn't but it might be worth a try).

With both of my DCs, I have done a combo of the above. Do whatever works for your family - you and your baby. Better sleep vibes coming your way. Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Pacifiers are artificial forms of us. :)

At 4 months the best advice I can give is to just roll with it. It sounds very normal. At that age you don't need to worry about setting up a habit of needing to nurse to sleep. All sleep phases are just phases and before you know you will be past this hurdle and on to something else. Could be better, could be worse. You never know. For a 4 month old just try your best to get both you the best sleep you can, even if it means doing things her way, imo.

Beth

amldaley
12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree w/ both pp. dd had days when if I break her off me, she wails...I sit for two hours at a time, but it only lasts for a couple of days. We also learned side-lying nursing, which helped.

When it's really bad, I employ DH. He will walk around with her bouncing her gently while I crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head.

Also, do you swaddle baby? That has helped us ALOT. IIRC, swaddled babies sleep, on average, two hours longer.

And allow baby to "tank up" (two nursings back to back) before bed.
---------

P.S....if you work outside the home or limit baby's daytime nursings with you in anyway, this may be baby's attempt to make up for lost time with you.

brittone2
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Pacifiers are artificial forms of us. :)

At 4 months the best advice I can give is to just roll with it. It sounds very normal. At that age you don't need to worry about setting up a habit of needing to nurse to sleep. All sleep phases are just phases and before you know you will be past this hurdle and on to something else. Could be better, could be worse. You never know. For a 4 month old just try your best to get both you the best sleep you can, even if it means doing things her way, imo.

Beth
:yeahthat:

It isn't easy, but it is totally normal. I found for me personally, the more expectations and stuff I had, the more frustrated I became when things didn't go that way. With my 2nd DC it was much easier to realize how many things truly are a phase. At 4 months I did whatever it took for everyone to get some rest. For us, that looked like cosleeping and nursing to sleep. I know that isn't what works for every family, but despite my concerns, both kids are good sleepers. 4 month olds really just don't self soothe very well (if at all) and the most comforting thing to her is you.

lizajane
12-29-2008, 11:11 AM
have you tried your finger? could you pop off and trade for your finger, then slide down into the crib with finger in mouth? might be a way to transition.

MotorcycleMom
12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice. To answer one of the questions in the replys, I have tried the finger, she used to take that but does not now. I guess I am just trying to rush my little one. I have a 10 yr old also at home, this is the first time for me breastfeeding, and I guess I forget how little she really is...I suppose I should just follow the advice that I give my friends: "They are not little for long, so live in the moment and enjoy each one".

Thank you all for your help. It's nice to hear that other mom's are in the same situation and hearing how you have dealt with it makes it seem normal...

Thanks again!