PDA

View Full Version : Need advise, well wishes, hugs, etc

set81616
12-29-2008, 09:47 AM
UPDATE****
I have been accepted into the program and am getting my first shipment Wed. I found someone else who took the form to the doctor to sign and I faxed it off. The day before I got accepted I received a package from the secretary showing she had faxed it too. She didn't have the doc sign it until Dec 24th (which is why she wouldn't give it to my husband to send) and she didn't include the page I had signed. She calls me after I got accepted and said "I did it" over and over and she is just so proud of herself and talks over me when I tell her no I did it, and yours was incomplete. I had to call the company to tell them to disregard what she sent (which they still hadn't recieved the day I got accepted)
At least I am getting it and can stop stressing so much. Thank you everyone for your advise and warm wishes.
Shannon

I have RA and have been trying since Aug to work with my doc's secretary to get free meds. My husband was laid off so I only have student insurance that does not cover prescriptions and one of my drugs is $1400 a month. She swore she was going to turn in the paperwork in Oct. She won't return my calls but I finally reached her before Christmas. It was still sitting on her desk. Again she promised to turn it in and email a confirmation. No go. I have been rationing the drugs I have and I am in pain. My doc is primarily a researcher and only sees patients on Friday mornings with appts 6 months out. Any letters or phonecalls go through his secretary so he probably won't see anything I send.

I'm getting desperate. I feel I may have to quit school so we can move to a better economy area and get jobs with insurance. What can I do? Ive thought about trying to get someone with RA or psorisis to get the drugs from their doc and let me pay the copay but I don't know anyone who has these conditions that don't need them themselves. I'm going to try and hand deliver a letter next Friday (he won't be in this week). I'm tired of being in pain and so frustrated that this woman could help me with one stamp or fax. It's not even a gaurantee that I will get the drugs but at least I will know.

Thanks for getting this far. I'm just scared and need to vent.
Shannon

JTsMom
12-29-2008, 09:58 AM
:grouphug: Can you show up and see her in person? Ask her to do it right at that second? Otherwise, maybe you could say you need to speak with the doctor about some confidential matters, and explain to him how desperate you are? What about that program that Montel Williams promotes on TV? I don't know any of the details- maybe that's what this is?

Can you qualify for Medicaid? What about finding a job at someplace like Starbucks? I hear they offer medical.

Have you looked into any Rx programs? I think Walgrens offers something? Can you get generics? Walmart has many for $4. Can your doc give you some samples? Not a long term solution, but maybe it would help.

You may have already tried these things, but I thought I'd throw them out there just in case. I hope you find a way to get the meds. Nobody should have to go without them.

amldaley
12-29-2008, 10:10 AM
:grouphug: Can you show up and see her in person? Ask her to do it right at that second? Otherwise, maybe you could say you need to speak with the doctor about some confidential matters, and explain to him how desperate you are? What about that program that Montel Williams promotes on TV? I don't know any of the details- maybe that's what this is?

Can you qualify for Medicaid? What about finding a job at someplace like Starbucks? I hear they offer medical.

Have you looked into any Rx programs? I think Walgrens offers something? Can you get generics? Walmart has many for $4. Can your doc give you some samples? Not a long term solution, but maybe it would help.

You may have already tried these things, but I thought I'd throw them out there just in case. I hope you find a way to get the meds. Nobody should have to go without them.

Lori has great suggestions. I would add, try Walmart. Try calling the pharamceutical company that makes the drug, they sometimes will help.

I find the personal plea works well. Go to the office and tell the sectretary you are in *pain* and you need her help. Play on her ego. Or, sit and wait for the Dr. Wait as long as you have to.

Can you go to the student clinic at school, explain situation and have the Dr there contact your Dr? Dr to Dr calls usually get answered.

Not sending your paperwork in is inexcusible. If she doesn't do it right then and there, you can file a complaint with the medical board. Your doctor is responsible for the actions (or inactions) of persons employed in his practice. He needs to know what's going on.

:hug:

TraciG
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I hope you can get the med's soon, I feel terrible for you, GOOD LUCK

Happy 2B mommy
12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry you're in so much pain. My cousin has RA and for a while had no insurance, so she was in the same situation. I agree with the suggestion of going in person to talk to the secretary. You have to be nice, but in her face to get results.

Also, the Wal-mart suggestion is great. They have a nice discounted Rx program.

MamaMolly
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
First this:grouphug:

then: ITA with the PPs. I think you need to have a face to face with the nurse. It may well be that she is totally overwhelmed and the only way you'll get results is to watch her do it herself. I think you need to slap on your smile and get over there and be prepared to camp a little in the office. It would be very satisfying to rip her a new one, and it sounds like she really earned it!! but I don't know that it would get you the results you *need*.

ITA also about Walmart or another store with a Rx program and calling the company. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Hope you get some relief soon!

hollybloom24
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry you are in such a situation! It's bad enough when you don't feel great - then add this and it makes everything so much harder!

I ditto showing up in person and speaking to this secretary. Who is her supervisor? Can you speak to that person? Is there a nurse that works with the physician you can speak to? Nurses are often very resourceful with this type of need.

You could also show up at his office early on a Friday when he is seeing patients and ask to speak with him. If you are early and have the ability to wait, most physicians will understand and give you as much time as they can.

Can you send an email directly to the physician stating you need to urgently speak with him? Or have your primary care physician contact him on your behalf?

How about calling or paging the physician directly through the hospital he is affiliated with by calling the page operator? Or calling his research office?

Is there a local RA support group that might have ideas for you? Or even a national RA support group that you could contact?

Good luck - I hope you can get through to these folks!

missym
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
My mom had RA, and I am so sorry you're going through this. It's an insidious disease.

I agree with PP - get yourself over to her office and say, you'd like to save her some time by mailing the form yourself. When she says it's not ready, just reply, "Oh, no problem, I'll wait" with your sweetest smile. Then park yourself in the chair immediately in front of her desk and wait.

You may have found this site already, but I thought it was a good resource when researching aid programs for Mom:
www.needymeds.org (http://www.needymeds.org)

set81616
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
My husband went to her office before Christmas to get the paperwork and mail it for her. She threatened to call security. I had told her he might come by and she said she wasn't worried because she was somewhere that is was impossible to find. What she didn't know was my husband's boss used to work over there and still had access to floor plans and pay roll so he could find her office.
Unfortunately since it is a biologic there won't be a generic until the laws are changed. So savings plans aren't very helpful.
I called the drug company and they were wonderful. Gave me as much info as they could and opened a file on me with an explanation of the difficulties I have been having. I was able to talk to someone in scheduling today and she tried to transfer me back to the secretary but when I told her why that wasn't going to work she got in contact with the doc and got me special permission to come in Friday for his signature (which is the only thing besides the script the secretary needed to get before she mailed it). She said I will still need to be forceful to get past the nurses but the doc is expecting me and she will be at her phone if needed.
Hopefully I will qualify and have meds in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again for your thoughts and just cross your fingers for me this all works out.
Shannon

MamaKath
12-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Gosh, awful situation! Good luck next week. I hope you are able to get what you need. I would also go above the secretary. She is not doing her job appropriately as well as abusing her powers. If the doctor is her superior and you are unable to reach him, then go above him. A complaint to the AMA against his office directly affect him.

zoestargrove
12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
((((HUGS))))) I'm just floored at how awfully negligent this particular nurse is being! I can't think of rational reason for her being so difficult. I hope you get the doctor's signature next week and can get some relief very soon!

ShanaMama
12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
:hug: I hope you are successful on Friday. Definitely tell the dr that she's had it since October and her threat to call security. That is just beyond the pale.
I agree with pp suggestion to try calling the drug company. I used to work in a dr's office and helped several patients get free or very discounted drugs that way. Many drug companies have programs to offer expensive drugs to people who can't otherwise afford them.
Do you want to post the names of your drugs and maybe some of our profficient googlers can help you find some discount programs?

amldaley
12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
My husband went to her office before Christmas to get the paperwork and mail it for her. She threatened to call security. I had told her he might come by and she said she wasn't worried because she was somewhere that is was impossible to find. What she didn't know was my husband's boss used to work over there and still had access to floor plans and pay roll so he could find her office.
Unfortunately since it is a biologic there won't be a generic until the laws are changed. So savings plans aren't very helpful.
I called the drug company and they were wonderful. Gave me as much info as they could and opened a file on me with an explanation of the difficulties I have been having. I was able to talk to someone in scheduling today and she tried to transfer me back to the secretary but when I told her why that wasn't going to work she got in contact with the doc and got me special permission to come in Friday for his signature (which is the only thing besides the script the secretary needed to get before she mailed it). She said I will still need to be forceful to get past the nurses but the doc is expecting me and she will be at her phone if needed.
Hopefully I will qualify and have meds in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again for your thoughts and just cross your fingers for me this all works out.
Shannon
:yay: :bighand: :cheerleader1:

That's great!!! Good for you for being your own best health advocate!!!!