PDA

View Full Version : C/S recovery

mikeys_mom
12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
My two previous deliveries were by c/s and have one scheduled for the twins as well.

For those of you who had c/s for singleton births as well as for twins, did you find any major differences in your recovery?

Recovery from my prior c/s's was pretty standard. No major complications. I just had to make sure to take it easy for the first month and give myself time to heal.

I am wondering if I can expect the same from this c/s, or if it will be more difficult.

Melaine
12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I've only had the one cs for the girls. From what I've heard, the differences in recovery have more to do with scheduled vs. emergency then singleton vs. twins. I don't think you should expect any huge differences in recovery aside from the fact that you'll be dealing with two infants plus your other two LOs. Hope you have lots of help!

Fairy
12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I only had the one c/s, but honestly, I doubt the recovery will be different. One uterus, one incision, one set of stitches. I think the recovery will be very much like your second, as it was a subsequent c/s, rather than a first one. I think your real differences are going to be in how the outside environment is going to impact your recovery. You have 2 kids now, and are bringing home 2 more, rather than one kid at home, bringing home one more. I'm thinking that's the major difference in your recovery this time around :-)

bubbaray
12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
From what I've heard, the differences in recovery have more to do with scheduled vs. emergency then singleton vs. twins.

:yeahthat:

mikeys_mom
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks. That was what I figured, but it's good to hear other people's experiences to confirm. Surprisingly none of my friends with twins had c/s's.

Yes, I definately have lots of help lined up!

gatorsmom
12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I hate to tell you this but I had a c/s with both of my singleton boys before I had one with the twins. And YES it was a harder recovery with the twins.

I was much, much more stretched out from the twins (the twins were delivered at 6lbs and 6.5lbs so I was pretty big!) and that contributed significantly to the increase in pain after I delivered. I had much more skin hanging which seemed to pull on the incision site everytime I stood. Standing was a major pain and one of the nurses gave me a very wide support band to wrap around my belly/incision site before I stood up. I had to put it on even when I just went to the bathroom. I wore that for a week after I got home from the hospital. I NEVER had to have that after I delivered my first 2 babies. With both of my first 2 c/s I didn't use all the prescription painkillers they sent home with me. With my third c/s I used them all up and called for another prescription which my OB called in without question.

I'd say the recovery time took about a week longer, too. I'm not remembering well since there was a lot going on then, but it was longer. Part of the reason for that may be because I couldn't rest as much as I needed trying to tend to the twins with their breastfeeding issues.

Hopefully your experience will be different. But, after talking to other mothers of twins, mine experience was pretty typical. gl!

mikeys_mom
12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Lisa, thanks for the honest answer. I had not considered the extra stretched out skin. Assuming I make it to my scheduled c/s at 37.5 weeks, I will most definately be much more stretched out, seeing as I am already measuring 35 weeks and I am only 27 weeks now. I still have 10 weeks to go, but so far, babies are measuring big (70th percentile for twins). My other kids were also big at birth.

I will ask my OB about the hospital providing support bands, or if I should look into buying one before.

Getting enough rest to recover properly is a big concern of mine because I know from my prior births that resting for the first few weeks and letting other people help out with stuff around the house made a big difference. Of course, having two infants to care for and breastfeed and two demanding older children makes it much more complicated. We have lined up quite a bit of help for the first few months, so hopefully that will make things easier.

This will definately be challenging - but very rewarding, I am told!

Melaine
12-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Absolutely. (about the rewarding). Having twins is just really special, and things have gotten a lot easier for us. In a way, you'll be way ahead of DH and I, because you have parenting experience. So, you will have more to do, because of your other two DC, but will be SO much better at doing it, no doubt!
I can see the stretched skin definitely being an issue. Mine was ridiculously (oh still is) stretched and it does pull on the incision area. I think a support band would help and you may be able to use a pregnancy one now and then later. It helps if you are really big, as I was.

MamaBearto4
01-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for your question. I have been wondering the same thing. I had 2 unscheduled c/s with my DDs and will probably have no choice this time with twins. I'm more concerned about dealing with my toddler during the recovery b/c I remember how hard it was to not lift and carry DD1 when DD2 was born. We live far from family and are likely moving shortly (within weeks) after the twins arrive. I'm petrified about caring for 4 kids after surgery with little to no support network already in place. One friend told me she's going ahead of us to whatever church we find to make sure they know how much help we're going to need right out of the gates. :) Despite all the worry, I can't wait for our babies to get here. I know it will be well worth the stress, anxiety, sleepless nights, and even surgery.