PDA

View Full Version : What things to get for the DC#3?

SpaceGal
12-29-2008, 09:43 PM
There's a little over a month left before DD comes...assuming it really is a DD. (I get a sonogram again in a few days to verify).

Anywho, we haven't really got her anything yet. I have two boys already...all three will have been born in the same season so clothes wise we are covered. I never found out what my boys were so I have a bunch of gender neutral things along with boy clothes obviously. I have picked up some girl clothes but most are older baby stuff...say 9 months and up. My DH bought her a cute piggy bank but otherwise we haven't gotten her anything super special.

I feel like I should get her more things...but the practical side of me tells me to use what I have. I am so conflicted over a crib set for her...I have two gender neutral ones already...and plus she won't be in a crib right away. I bought a crib set I really liked from Target on clearance...so it's not expensive but I feel like it could be wasteful. I bought two "girly" baby blankets but feel like I have this whole tote of baby blankets too.

UGH...I do want to get her a girly Britax car seat...and I finally got DH to come around to that idea but of course I wouldn't get that for her yet since I have an infant car seat I can use for the first year that is still good.

Most of our baby gear is gender neutral so it's okay for her. Clothes wise, we have gender neutral things to dress her in.

Any ideas of what you got your kids when you already have all the stuff you really need? Or were you just practical and use what you had...not that we're poor but we're definitely not rich either. :)

WatchingThemGrow
12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I know how you're feeling! We're (hoping) to not find out the gender, but I'm starting to think about what I *want* to get for the new one.

Things I ended up getting for #2 that no one else got us:
1) the Hallmark baby calendar to record info
2) a sweet little Zutano baby hat (stayed on SO much better)
3) one little outfit we liked for the 6 mos. pictures (oh, and make sure to get the same amount of pictures made for this baby)

Something I might end up getting/making (yeah, right) if no one does... a quilt of some sort. Seems like the first baby got 4 made especially for her. #2 got a few store-bought ones, and I'm thinking #3 won't get anything personalized b/c people have already given so much.

Things we really liked for a girl: Strasburg Children's hairbow set, a cute little Baby Lulu romper from eBay, a Hanna outfit.

I'd just use the same bedding you already have and return the other. I'm just practical like that.

ccather
12-29-2008, 11:15 PM
We joke about the littlest being the "unloved third baby". Poor little girl just goes along with the crowd and is so happy to do it! Anywho, all three used the same gender neurtal beddings and both girls use Big brother's pj's with no complaining. I have such a fierce practical streak, I can't help it! Even Santa recycled some toys this year.

She did get a pretty little outfit to come home in, her very own Woobie (chenille blanket) and Friend (her lovey.) Shoes don't get recycled around here, so she'll be getting her own pair of first shoes.

She doesn't know that her bro & sis (and a cousin or two) used her jammies, sheets, swing, toys, etc. She's just happy doing her thing! There's nothing wrong with using what you have already. Consider it a family tradition!

brittone2
12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
No 3rd baby here, but I'd probably still use the previously used items, and then buy a few things that make you feel good. Maybe a few special outfits? DD got some pretty Hanna baby cardigan sweaters, pilot cap, etc. Pick out a few things per season to buy her that are extra special to you...girly if you like, not so girly if you don't like, but something special. Some girly little Pedipeds? Pettiskirt for baby pictures if super girly is your style :)

Anything new and fun that is out since your last children were born, like Babylegs could be fun :)

Something personalized or monogrammed?

SpaceGal
12-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Aww thanks for the replies! I think I will be practical. I have no problems with her wearing her brothers jammies...they are all in great condition. Knowing little girls...she'll get a ton of nice new clothes and dresses eventually. So maybe we'll save for those things. I do really like pediped shoes...I never got those for the boys...I always got them Converse sneakers.

In a way, a girl is so daunting when it comes to the clothing front maybe I should be practical when I can be, after reading your replies there are clearly a ton more things for a girl than a boy.

Thank you for the great ideas and any others I would greatly appreciate as well.

KBecks
12-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I think the honest truth is that you don't *need* much at all for a third. We got a couple carriers, a few new things, but none of it is essential. I'm glad I did not run out and get a stroller b/c we just dont' need one yet.

HIU8
12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
No third here, but I am using DS's jammies for DD. Plus she is using some of his jeans and definitely his bedding (it was mostly gender neutral). She also is using his outgrown turtlenecks and socks. She used the same gear no matter whether it was boyish or not--I didn't really care about that when it came to gear such as PNP, stroller, bouncy, sleepsacks, blankets etc... I'm extremely practical, so I try to reuse what we already have and not spend the extra $$. That said, I did replace the area rug in the nusery b/c DS vomited on it so many times (from GERD) that it was severly stained. DD also has a lot of dresses (she is a very girly girl) and other very girly outfits, but I have tried to reuse what I can.