PDA

View Full Version : MIgraines and BFing

carolinamama
12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure where to put this thread, so I am sticking it in lounge since it isn't really about feeding baby.

I have always had migraines. They go away during pregnancy for the most part - I have about 1-2 during the entire pregnancy. And decrease while bfing. I have one today and while it isn't the worst I've ever had by far, it had me camped on the couch this afternoon with the lights off bribing DS to be quiet. Anyone else have migraines and bf? How do you treat it? I try to avoid certain triggers but don't always know what they are. And obviously alot of it is hormonal. I have done beta-blockers for prophylaxis before and Imitrex for treatment.

Just curious for the most part, but would love to know what works for you.

Karenn
12-29-2008, 10:48 PM
When I was nursing, Dr. Pepper and Tylenol worked OK for me. The combination of caffeine with the tylenol seemed to help. That doesn't work for me anymore though, so I'm not sure what I'd try now if I were nursing. Currently, since I'm not nursing or pg, I take Verapamil (calcium channel blocker) as a preventative and Frova for pain relief. Hope you find some relief!

jacksmomtobe
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
My friend who also suffered migraines was told to drink Dr Pepper by her OB when she was pregnant. I get them about once a month and am still nursing. Luckily during the most severe ones I was just able to lie down in the dark. Last time DD was very sweet trying to make sure I was ok. I'll be interested to see what other people post because obviously with little kids it's hard to find time, etc to just lay down in a dark room.