PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom furniture for the kiddos - any thoughts?

chinook
12-30-2008, 03:23 AM
Hi,

Well, my babies are out of their cribs and into their big kid beds (right now their mattresses are on the floor). I can't believe how fast the time has gone!

Anyway, we'll eventually be needing furniture for them - they can't sleep on the floor forever. Any suggestions about where to look? I don't want to spend a ton but I don't want anything that will have to be replaced in a few years either. Furniture is always a conundrum for me. When we go cheap we have tended to regret it because it just doesn't last, but at the same time the pricing on "high quality" stuff seems ridiculously high.

Ikea has some decent looking (online) stuff but I'm not sure of the quality. I've been also looking at the Modern Country website, gorgeous stuff, but I'm sure I'd have a stroke over their pricing.

So, can anyone recommend to me a happy medium?

Thanks in advance!

Neatfreak
12-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Can you get to an Ikea and check out the stuff that you like? There is quite a range in quality amid their bedroom furniture collection. We have some really nice pieces, and some that are more disposable.

chinook
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Ikea's across town but I'm going to attempt a trek one of these days and check it out.

Which lines would you suggest? Which lines would you suggest be avoided?

I was thinking maybe the "Malm" line for DS and "Hemnes" for DD. I like that the Malm beds don't have a footboard since they'd probably just bash their heads on it when they jump around. Hemnes has a footboard but is a little bit more feminine for DD.

bubbaray
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
We have the Ikea Hemnes set for DD#1 and will be getting another set for DD#2. We originally had a Costco sleigh bed, but it STANK and gave DD#1 asthma, so we returned it (the whole set was about $3k, so not cheap). The Hemnes set was around $600 for the bed, nighttable and 3-drawer dresser. We are happy with it -- at least it d/n stink!

chinook
12-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Good to know that about Costco. I was checking some of their online stuff out but like you said it was pricey, and if it stinks to boot well forget it! I suspect we'll end up at Ikea. Their prices sure can't be beat!

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I thought I posted earlier, but I must've gotten distracted...imagine that...

We love our Stanley Young America stuff, and we feel it will last them until they leave, at least we hope... They have SO much to choose from, and the prices we paid were 50-60% of retail, actually a little less b/c it has gone up since then. It seemed reasonable for the options, the quality, the functionality, and the durability. We like that we can add/subtract pieces over the years to grow with our kids and that it looks nice.

chinook
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info on the Stanley stuff. May I ask where you purchased it? When I search for a dealer with my postal code there are no results. It's really nice looking stuff, but the prices aren't listed, and you know the old saying, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" :)

I'd like to like into it a bit further, though.

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info on the Stanley stuff. May I ask where you purchased it? When I search for a dealer with my postal code there are no results. It's really nice looking stuff, but the prices aren't listed, and you know the old saying, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" :)

I'd like to like into it a bit further, though.

We got it from Furnitureland South in High Point, NC. I think if you send them an email or call, they'll hook you up with a salesperson (that's how they work) and you'll be able to get prices for the pieces you're interested in. I've sent an email with specific pieces and got a price quote list for each piece before. Stanley has been great to provide customer service for little things I've needed.