PDA

View Full Version : healthy but tasty dessert for New Year's Day???

Babywhite
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks to the answers on my earlier post...I now have my "Southern" New Year's Day meal, but I need a dessert.

I am having the following:
ham (for good luck)
greens and black-eyed peas (for cash and coins)

I plan on adding the following to the above meal for my family:
cornbread or rice (depending on which family members will be present...)
corn on the cob (" ")
a healthy dessert *

*This is where I need help. I would like to make an easy but healthy (to start the new year off right...) dessert.

Any ideas... ( I want more than just fruit and a topping...)

TIA for your help!!
Babywhite

ThreeofUs
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Applecake! It's the best, can be made with whole grain flours and still be very yummy, and is very healthy as the apples provide most of the sweetener.

specialp
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
I like Weight Watcher's Double Apple Strudel. It's not hard, but it's not the easiest since it uses phyllo dough (12 sheets). It's good to make ahead. If you decide you want to try it, I'll send you the recipe.

pinkmomagain
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
What about choc dipped strawberries? I think I'm going to make them for my family on New Year's Eve. Just melt some choc chips in the microwave, dip strawberries, and refrigerate.

ILoveLucy
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe a fruit, vanilla yogurt, and angel food cake trifle? That has the added bonus of looking so pretty. :) Or a fruit pizza is good and a bit on the lighter side.

saschalicks
12-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Here's super easy:
buy a ready made pie crust. Any kind 1 container of light yogurt any flavor and 1 tub of light or fat free cool whip. Mix the cool whip & yogurt and fill the pie crust. Top it w/the fruit flavor of yogurt you bought. Example: top a raspberry flavored yogurt w/fresh raspberries. Put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours and serve. It's delicious and refreshing. It's also very low cal.

My actual fave is using lemon yogurt and topping w/chocoloate chips.