PDA

View Full Version : What should I order through Costco before I get a refund?

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
We went to the nearby science museum the other day and thought that we'd join Costco for the year just to see the difference. It was nice, but not really nicer than our Sams to justify the extra cost, the longer drive, and the higher prices.

A lot of items I routinely buy at Sam's (and have within the month) were noticeably higher and the fruit I brought home was rotten. Hey, I can get rotten fruit at Sam's for that matter! I guess if the toys weren't totally gone by 12/27 I would've been more enticed to keep the membership.

Is there anything you think I should order/buy before canceling the membership and renewing my Sam's card instead? I can always get a friend to order stuff for me if need be, but I have a chance to get it on my own while I still have a card.

happymomma
12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I love the Costco diaper wipes.

ahrimie
12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I love the Costco diaper wipes.

yesyes, love the wipes too!! i do a taste test with all the wipes: i wipe my hand then lick it to see if there's a taste afterwards--you know, for those times where you can't get to a bathroom (rather, CLEAN bathroom) and you just have to use something to wipe your dc or yourself and you KNOW your dc will put their hands in their mouth--costco is the best so far out of all the big name brands i've tried.

PS. if you want food grade wipes though, i did find some from first years but they're expensive for a little bit so i only use those when i really really have to :)

we also always buy their organic milk 1% and soy organic. it's the cheapest by far i've found.

MamaKath
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Tires? We always order our tires through Costco with a coupon, it covers our membership cost to do it that way. Kirkland brand is great, so definitely things like wipes, vitamins. Stuff like rotten fruit can always be retunred, no questions asked. The return policy rocks!

How much does Sam's cost per year? What is their return policy? I am wondering as we have BJs, Sams and now a Costco in our area. We have been members of Costco and Bjs, but not Sam's. What do you find to make it worthwhile?

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Our Sam's is markedly closer to my house, next to Target, and the prices are cheaper than Costco - enough for me to notice in one visit. The membership is $40 vs $50 at Costco, not huge deal, but still... Several things I picked up within the month were like $.55-75+ more per item - a huge can of corn, organic mixed salad greens, parmesan cheese, the same double loaf of bread. I didn't check on everything and actually run from store to store to comparison shop, but a quick glance made me scratch my head.

Each store has a few items the other doesn't , and I can't recall them all right now, but there have been some recent threads about it.

I'll try the wipes even though I love the Huggies sensitive wipes in the refillable case at Sam's. They also carry Cruisers. DH was excited they had Multigrain Cheerios at Costco, but I'm not sure that is worth the extra distance and $$$. Maybe I'll just go with a friend a few times a year.

ahrimie
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
lol, yeah.. costco isn't worth the multigrain cheerios if everything else isn't great.

down in oklahoma where my parents live, sam's is sooo much better than our costco here. the fruit is much better--bigger and seems more fresh--and they have an awesome return policy. if the fruit isn't what you expected, you can bring it back for not only a refund but they GIVE you money too! hmm.. maybe i should switch now ;)

does sam's send you coupons too? our costco sends us coupons every 1.5 months it seems...

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't think I've ever seen coupons from Sam's, but I do get a big glossy book filled with good food to look at a few times a year. DD had fun talking about the appetizers one afternoon while reading it.

There are a few things I have a beef about - like the broken child seats on carts and intermittently carrying YoBaby yogurt, but I think it is the right place for us right now.

Maybe I'll just make him a section in the attic near the diapers for 10 boxes of his special Cheerios. He is the man who once thought there were something like 12 servings of Honey Nut in a Sam's sized box when there were actually like 97 or something. He grain consumption needs to be cut back.

ahrimie
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
He is the man who once thought there were something like 12 servings of Honey Nut in a Sam's sized box when there were actually like 97 or something. He grain consumption needs to be cut back.

LOL! hahhhaa