PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell my DH to not open every gift?

pantrygirl
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Ok, Call me whatever but I don't feel it necessary to open every gift our baby receives. Some items aren't aligned with what I think she needs and I can exchange them. Others she can wait to with when she's older.

How do I say that without him thinking of me as a Nazi?

Happy 2B mommy
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Do you mean he removes the packaging? Not just like unwrapping a present?
Usually there is an appropriate age on the package. Simply tell him "this is a choking hazard and I'd rather exchange it for something else she can safely play with now". That type of thing sometimes just doesn't automatically register with some guys.

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Ugh. Be dramatic. I had to get that way with DH when he'd see a NWT outfit hanging in DD's wardrobe. He'd rip the tags off, put it on her, then say, "I think she's almost grown out of this outfit" while walking out of her room. :32: It took a while, but he sometimes will leave them on before getting approval to take them off. Not that we have lots of new stuff now, but an item here or there...

pantrygirl
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
exactly, he opens the gift and then pulls the tags off and cracks the sucker open. Most of the clothes, he'll shove in a bag and give to me. The toys though he has to open them up.

I tell him that she's only 5 months and that she has no idea what to do with a popper doo dad and that we can wait until she's sitting up but he's so excited himself to 'get a new toy' that he can't help himself.

problem is, she's 5 months old and our entire living room is filled with toys and stuffed animals already and the only things she's interested in are her rattle links, her lovey and a few blocks. I'm fine with this and figure I can slowly introduce a new toy when it's age appropriate and/if she shows interest in certain actions (stacking, chewing, motion, sound, etc)

I told DH that 1, she has alot of toys and 2, as she gets older, we'll be given more and more toys that we may not feel are appropriate for her or may be a duplicate. Let's get her into a routine where a new toy is introduced throughout the year rather than in lump sums during holidays and special occasions. that way she gets more fun throughout the year <i>and mom doesn't trip over every single toy known to man.</i>

He rolled his eyes and looked at me as if I was Mrs. KillJoy.

I think I guess I just have to be the bad guy about this. It's not that I'm denying her. She'll get to play with them when she's ready, old enough or in some instances, she may get it exchanged for something she may really like.

Thanks for the suggestions.

citymama
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
problem is, she's 5 months old and our entire living room is filled with toys and stuffed animals already and the only things she's interested in are her rattle links, her lovey and a few blocks. I'm fine with this and figure I can slowly introduce a new toy when it's age appropriate and/if she shows interest in certain actions (stacking, chewing, motion, sound, etc)

I told DH that 1, she has alot of toys and 2, as she gets older, we'll be given more and more toys that we may not feel are appropriate for her or may be a duplicate. Let's get her into a routine where a new toy is introduced throughout the year rather than in lump sums during holidays and special occasions. that way she gets more fun throughout the year

Kids will definitely play with the "new" toy far more than with the one that has been lying around for months - even if they've never actually figured out how to play with it. I was the bad one when my DD was a baby - introduced her to all kinds of toys way beyond her learning ability, and many of them have never been played with, even though my DD is almost 3 now. Once you've chewed on the shape sorter, you don't really get into figuring out how to insert it in the matching slots - well, you do, but it just isn't that exciting and new.

I've now learned better, and don't buy ahead, don't open/remove tags from things that are not age-appropriate, and of course, put away toys for some months and reintroduce them. Ta da, they seem brand new! Since your girl is so little, you could do the same thing with the toys. But talking to your DH is a good idea, since by the time her 1st bday rolls around, you can bet she'll have duplicate toys, hand-me-downs etc, and you'll be wishing you still had the tags to return or regift!