PDA

View Full Version : anyone have the American Girl mini-dolls???

Babywhite
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
My niece really wants an American Girl girl for her birthday. She wants all of them (don't they all), but my SIL says she can only have one. She has decided on the "Like You" doll. My SIL has 2 others who also want the "Like You" dolls when they get old enough, so my SIL had this idea...

Maybe buy the mini-dolls for all of them to enjoy when she is reading the stories to them...

She would really like some input from others b/f starting to save for these dolls for next Christmas --- (a gift from Santa to all of them)...

Does anyone have them? What do you think/ what did your girl(s) think about the small ones?

TIA for your help!

MamaKath
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Personally I do not think they are worth the money. They are the size of doll house dolls, do not have additional outfits, and do not look nearly as nice in person as they do in the catalog. Costco had sets of them earlier this year (can't remember how much, I did not see them there last week to my memory).

The regular dolls themselves are much more enjoyable. The books are still wonderful to read, even without the dolls. The Bitty Twins might be a better compromise for the younger girls.

egoldber
12-31-2008, 07:30 AM
I completely agree. I have seen the dolls IRL and they are nowhere near the quality of the 18" dolls.

How old are her kids?

Babywhite
12-31-2008, 10:43 AM
The other kids are 5 and 3. She is going to get them the "Just Like You" dolls when they are 7 -- no Bitty babies or Bitty twins before then.

She was just thinking that when each one was old enough to enjoy the books, she could let that child enjoy the corresponding "little" doll at that time. The kids really like the idea; she just wanted to see if others had purchased these little dolls for their kids.

Thanks again for your thoughts... :)

egoldber
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Well, it's not what I would choose to do, but it's her kids. :) When is she planning to read the books to the kids? If she waits until they are older (and IMO more age appropriate for many of the issues and themes in the books) then the girls may want a historical doll vs a Just Like Me doll. My 7 year old has no interest in the Like Me Dolls, but she loves the historical dolls.