PDA

View Full Version : We were in a car accident today

trales
12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
DD and I were broadsided by someone running a 4 way stop. We are okay, the car is not. I am still a little in shock about the whole thing. So much to process. I will let the insurance deal with the car.

I did replace the car seat already. I had a marathon and replaced it with a boulavard. I hope I made a good decision. Everything happened so fast.

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow. Glad you're both okay! That's amazing. Even more amazing is how did you ALREADY replace the carseat?

trales
12-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Believe it or not, the accident took place at at main intersection downtown, 1 block from a good friends house and across the street from Baby Bungalow. I just walked in and bought a seat.

bubbaray
12-30-2008, 04:13 PM
OMgosh, you have just had SO much to deal with lately! HUGE HUGS!

Pennylane
12-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Glad that no one was injured!

Ann

kep
12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm so sorry! Car accidents are really scary. I'm glad you were able to get the seat replaced so easily. Make sure the insurance company reimburses you for it. Big hugs, mama.

elektra
12-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Glad you and your DD are ok. I can't believe everything you've been through lately!

SpaceGal
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Car accidents are terrible. Hope you are okay and that things settle down soon for you. Hopefully the insurance process is quick and speedy. Take care.

mommyp
12-30-2008, 04:30 PM
So glad to hear everyone is okay. :hug:

amldaley
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Take a deep breath and a couple of ibuprofen, even if you don't feel sore now. It sounds like you are the kind of person who thinks and acts clearly and logically, even under stress! Amazing that you already replaced the seat!

Bad drivers suck! Thank goodness you are all OK. :grouphug:

MontrealMum
12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Glad to hear you're both OK, and that you got the carseat taken care off. I hope the insurance proceeds without any hassles. Big hugs :hug5:

Tondi G
12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
My husband was hit the same way over 2 years ago. Luckily he was alone in the car, Had just dropped my DS then in kinder off at school! He was knocked out and the car was deemed a total loss. He lost his hearing on one side from it. He is still waiting on the insurance company to settle out the case (thats a whole 'nother story though)

Tomorrow you will feel the accident. Make sure you take it easy. Take some motrin/advil and a nice hot shower. Glad you were able to replace your car seat right away.... what a nightmare! HUGS

trales
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
I am pretty sore right now, my side and head hit the window. I had DD checked out by her ped and she is fine.

After getting hit so hard, I was so scared to drive her anywhere in that seat. I was lucky that the store that sells seats was right across the way as was the bus station where my husband parks his car. So I got that car, the new seat and my friends helped with DD and to install the seat.

We still have no groceries, I was on my way to the grocery store since we got back to town last night. I guess I have an excuse to get Sushi for dinner. I am so glad the dogs were not with me, I almost took them for a drive, but decided at the last minute there was not room for them and the groceries.

The police officer was nice, but not a lot of help when I asked about the car seat, whether I could drive the car etc. The 911 dispatcher just kept asking if there were any hazerdous materials spilled.

For all I complian about the stupid car, it was a Subaru Outback 07, I did not like it but, it has served me well in the snow and did great in an accident. I just feel like such an old fuddy duddy driving it.

Thanks for the hugs and support. :hug5:

KrisM
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
You'll be more sore tomorrow, unfortunately. I hope you can have a friend or DH help. You might need it.

I am glad you and DD are alright. If you had to have an accident, it sounds like you picked the right place! I hope dealing with insurance for the car isn't too horrible.

carolinamama
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear that. Thankfully you are all okay. Car accidents suck!

Happy 2B mommy
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh, how awful. I'm so glad you weren't injured. DH was hit TWICE in the last year and both times the car was totaled. It's so scary. I totally agree about taking something because you will be sore tomorrow.

I'm amazed you thought to get a new seat right away. Insurance will pay for all or at least a depreciated value of the seat.

srhs
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Ugh, so sorry! So scary!!! :hug: to you and DD!

happymomma
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your car accidents. They are so scary. I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

shawnandangel
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Wow how awful! :hugs: Glad you and your DD are okay! You totally deserve some sushi after that!

bubbaray
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
OK, so you/your DH probably already know this, BUT GO TO THE DOCTOR. Document your injuries. Keep a diary of your symptoms.

You might just let it slip to the ins. company that your DH is a lawyer. I wouldn't say it in a "nah nah, my DH is a lawyer and he's gonna sue you" kinda way. But, you know, if it happened to slip out that this coudln't have happened at a worse time, your DH has a big trial coming up ... :innocent:

Also, FYI, your symptoms may worsen over the next few days. Ditto for your DD (was your DH with you too). Very important to keep tabs on your symptoms and to return to the doctor, particularly if your head impacted the vehicle in the crash.

Hugs!

lizajane
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
i am SO glad you are ok. accidents with kids in the car are so much worse than when it is just you! remember, it is JUST a car. hard, but so much easier to remember when your little one is safe.

(yay marathons.)

MamaMolly
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Super big hugs. I have to agree that you need to get checked out as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't do more damage to your neck than you think. I was broadsided in college and it tore up my knee. Still have trouble with it. Please take good care of yourself!

MMMommy
12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Relieved to know that no one was hurt. That is what is most important. These kinds of situations shock and jolt, don't they?

StantonHyde
12-30-2008, 08:20 PM
You poor thing--I am so glad you are both ok. I second the "get yourself checked out". There are times when stuff happens that you just don't know about--especially from the shock of something like that. I love the get the new car seat as the first move--at least that was a clear decision!!! Hope everything goes ok with insurance.

Fairy
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
OK, so you/your DH probably already know this, BUT GO TO THE DOCTOR. Document your injuries. Keep a diary of your symptoms.

You might just let it slip to the ins. company that your DH is a lawyer. I wouldn't say it in a "nah nah, my DH is a lawyer and he's gonna sue you" kinda way. But, you know, if it happened to slip out that this coudln't have happened at a worse time, your DH has a big trial coming up ... :innocent:

Also, FYI, your symptoms may worsen over the next few days. Ditto for your DD (was your DH with you too). Very important to keep tabs on your symptoms and to return to the doctor, particularly if your head impacted the vehicle in the crash.

Hugs!

:yeahthat:

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry, and I'm glad everyone's ok. A few other things is DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give a statement in person, over the phone, in email, or in any other way to the opposing insurance company. You talk to your insurance company. It is your insurance company's job to get your statement to the other guys if needed. But I promise you, they are going to call you by EOD tomorrow, and they are going to ask you for either a "statement" or to merely explain to them what happened -- which is a euphamism ofr a statement. They will record you, probably. Do not give a statement. If they call you, tell them that they will need to talk to your insurance company, and give them your adjuster's info. If they say they said to call you directly, tell them to call them back and arrange for the info they need with them. Then call your adjuster and say it's his job to get the info to the other guys and that you won' be talking to the opposing ins. company.

The reason for this is because if they have you one on one, they will look for a reason not to pay or to at least find some kind of contributory negligence, medical causation, or pre-existing conditions and, hence, not have to pay out.

I really hope you guys are ok.

-- Fairy

ShanaMama
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh, Tracey I am so sorry. That must have been terrifying. I'm happy that you are ok. Please take some time to take care of yourself.

citymama
12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
So glad you and your kids are OK! How terrifying to go through that. Hugs. Best wishes for a peaceful and safe New Year!

amandabea
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Yikes, how scary. I'm glad you both are OK. Good luck with the ins co. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice from the PPs.

Amanda

MamaKath
12-30-2008, 10:55 PM
How scary! I am glad things seem to be okay, take it easy a bit over the next couple days. :hug5:

gatorsmom
12-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh no. How scary. I'm so glad you are both ok. Accidents are sooo nerveracking.

How did you get your wits about you to think to buy a new carseat just then? I think I would have been in a daze for awhile.

npace19147
12-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Glad to hear you are both ok - hope you get over the shock soon.

mdb78
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Glad to hear everyone is ok.