PDA

View Full Version : Unit blocks?

elbert
12-30-2008, 04:55 PM
DD recently discovered the fun of building with blocks. I started to look around at a few sets and, wow, are they expensive.

Any recommendations on good sets and where to score a deal on them?

inmypjs
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I haven't bought any for my kids yet, but have researched them both here and elsewhere. The Melissa and Doug 60 piece unit block set gets good reviews and is reasonably priced compared to some of the higher end wood ones. The ones I'm talking about are the natural colored ones - not the painted. I recently saw them for the first time IRL and thought they looked nice. The blocks are a nice size for building.

I know some people have found them at TJ Maxx or Marshalls - but I've never seen them at mine. I would suggest Amazon - at one point I think I saw the set for around $32. The price does fluctuate, like all of their items, but if you put them into your cart you can watch the price.

HTH!

brittone2
12-30-2008, 09:18 PM
2 sets of M&D unpainted unit blocks here, and we've been very happy. I bought using the 40% off coupons at AC Moore as the PP mentioned.

We also have some unit blocks that were on ebay basically free for shipping. Beaten up and well-loved by their previous owners, but they've given us plenty of fun.

Jenny_A
12-31-2008, 02:37 PM
I just wanted to put this in your thread. I think the M&D ones mentioned above are a better deal, but people on the board have raved about Barclay blocks. http://www.barclaywoods.com. They are $$$$ but sometimes they'll have good sales and it's nice that you can add on to them. Just wanted to throw them into the pot too!

Jenny

ThreeofUs
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
We also have two sets of the M&D. H LOVES them!

Be careful when you buy to check for (1) hardwood and (2) safe, nontoxic coating on the wood. There are some out there made from ...

you're not going to believe this!

... treated wood. The same type of treated wood that's been banned from schools and zoos.

ett
12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
We also have two sets of the M&D. H LOVES them!

Be careful when you buy to check for (1) hardwood and (2) safe, nontoxic coating on the wood. There are some out there made from ...

you're not going to believe this!

... treated wood. The same type of treated wood that's been banned from schools and zoos.

Oh wow! Do you have a link to a set you've seen that's not safe? We have a set from Guidecraft and a set from Plan Toys that have held up very well for several years now.

kayte
12-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I just wanted to put this in your thread. I think the M&D ones mentioned above are a better deal, but people on the board have raved about Barclay blocks. http://www.barclaywoods.com. They are $$$$ but sometimes they'll have good sales and it's nice that you can add on to them. Just wanted to throw them into the pot too!

Jenny

If you are interested in barclays they are onsale at Kidbean and they have free shipping over $100.

http://www.kidbean.com/toys-unit-blocks.html

hth

kcimato
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
We have the set from here. They are wonderful too. A little cheaper than Barclay.

www.landmarkmaple.com

oops that should be
www.maplelandmark.com sorry

Melaine
01-01-2009, 12:38 PM
You saw that the M & D blocks are now on sale at Amazon, right?
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-60-Piece-Standard-Blocks/dp/B00008W72D/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1230827891&sr=8-1

ThreeofUs
01-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh wow! Do you have a link to a set you've seen that's not safe? We have a set from Guidecraft and a set from Plan Toys that have held up very well for several years now.

I know Guidecraft and Plan Toys make good products.

I haven't seen the treated-wood blocks recently online (but then, I haven't been looking), but I have seen them in stores every now and again.

The box will generally say what kind of wood is used, and some version of marketing that says "you can leave them outside!" would be a clue to the wrong kind.