PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a light-weight, easy-to-steer, powerful vacuum?

gatorsmom
12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
So, I need a new vacuum cleaner. And I absolutely HATE my old one so I"m glad it's going away. It was an 8yo Hoover which was a bear to push and didn't vacuum edging well.

So, can anyone recommend a powerful, easy-to-manuever vacuum that is a wiz with corners and edges? Lightweight for going up and down stairs would be good. If it has a HEPA filter on it, so much the better.

Cost is not a concern right now. I"m willing to spend to find something I don't curse at each time I use it.

tia for your suggestions (and warnings)!

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Too late for much more of a description, but the Miele is making me smile 2x/week. It really is worth checking out! I didn't think I'd like it that much, but, wow!

hellokitty
12-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Subbing, I want to throw our Hoover out the window. It's not even that old and has had so many problems.

zag95
12-31-2008, 12:43 AM
We have an Oreck- it is really light and self adjusts to whatever flooring you are going over- I think it weighs 8 lbs? It's fabulous- got it for Christmas a few years ago!

bubbaray
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM
I HATE HATE HATE our Kenmore Canister. It was a Consumer Reports Best Buy 4 yrs ago and DH curses that magazine every time he uses it or yet another part breaks. Its a complete piece of JUNK.

If I was purchasing a new canister today, I'd probably get a Miele. Everyone I know who's purchased one raves about them. I always hear good things about Dysons, but we need a canister not an upright and I've not really heard any feedback (good or bad) on the Dyson canisters.

GL. I hate vacuuming and dealing with a crappy vacuum makes it an even worse job.

pastrygirl
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Miele!!! I love mine. Ever since I got it (a year ago), I've been vacuuming several times a week. It used to be a couple of times a year! I have the red Antares model, but there are other models that come with a HEPA filter.

FWIW, I had a Dyson (the "Ball" - DC15) for 18 months and hated every minute of it. I traded it in for the Miele.

mecawa
12-31-2008, 11:26 AM
We have the Oreck XL and love it, very lightweight for carrying through multiple levels of the house, so easy to push, we've had it for 8 years and haven't had any problems.

clb
12-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I gave my mom an oreck a few years ago. It is incredibly light. I was stunned that it is possible for a vacuum to be so light. My dyson is a beast to carry up and down the stairs.
I assume that it works well since the person who recommended it to me has allergy problems and is specific about these sort of things.

JMS
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I know there are very opposing opinions, but I have to voice my distaste for the Dyson. Except for the long cord, I didn't think it was worth even 1/2 the money. I have a Hoover now.. it's ok but very heavy.

Why are vacuums, strollers and printers so difficult to buy :)

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll put in 2 more cents now about why we went with the Miele. I borrowed MIL's Oreck for a week, and it was spectacular on the rugs. It was SO light and strong. The problem I had with it is that the head/base shape of it was so big and rectangular that it didn't get under anything or make it into corners very well with our furniture crammed so close together. If I ever have a house that is mainly carpet or a floor that has lots of carpet or our house looks like a model home with space, I'll reconsider that one. The Miele we chose has a combination head for doing hardwoods and rugs and it can be switched pretty easily.

From what I gathered with the Miele is that each differently colored model comes with one specific kind of head - the carpet one, the hardwood one, or the combo one. IIRC there is one model that's a little larger and comes with the HEPA filter. The smaller capacity ones have the ability to hold a filter, they just don't come with them. Maybe they do, but there is one with a more special filter than the original filter.

TMI, but try one and see what you think. Our vac store let me take it home for a few nights and try it out. Pretty cool, in my book :)

almostmom
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Miele! Got it for xmas last year and absolutely love it. quiet, strong, light, rolls so nicely.

LBW
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Miele cannister or SEBO upright

http://www.sebo-vacuums.com/