PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With DD's B-Day Party At School

randomkid
12-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Since DD's school has the "you have to invite the entire class to a birthday party" rule, we are not having a party at our house this year with her friends. We have had A LOT going on and I am not in any way ready to host up to 15 3-4 year olds. So, we are going to do a small lunch time party for her at school. I don't want to do cupcakes or a cake, but DD wants a Wizard of Oz theme. I found these and bought them with the intention of putting them in cupcakes. http://cgi.ebay.com/12-WIZARD-of-OZ-rings-CUPCAKE-party-FAVORS-dorothy-NEW_W0QQitemZ260328253524QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWeddin g_Party_Supplies?hash=item260328253524&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 However, I have found that most kids just lick off the icing and/or don't eat the cupcakes (and they are messy). So, I was thinking Rice Krispie treats since they are simple and much neater and likely to be eaten. How can I incorporate these rings? I'm not doing treat bags and just giving a ring to a kid seems so lame, esp for the boys. Also, have any of you tried any variations of Rice Krispie treats? I read about using Fruity Pebbles, which could be good (you know, over the rainbow and all) or putting M&Ms in them. Any experience with these?

Also, would like to do something for lunch. One Mom bought pizza for the class and parents were just supposed to supplement for their own child. DD doesn't like pizza, so I was thinking chicken nuggets? Any other ideas for lunch? I told DH I'd like to heat up a huge bowl of SpaghettiOs, but I'm sure the teacher would shoot me as that would be a huge mess. BTW, no food allergies and no restrictions on what I can bring.

Need ideas for making the Oz theme work. There are not many decorations available and most of what I have found just has a picture of Dorothy. I was looking for something more gender neutral. Just needs to be very simple, but so Oz is obvious, KWIM?

bubbaray
12-31-2008, 12:21 AM
I'd tie the rings onto the RKTs with ribbon.

You can use pretty much any cereal, though it generally ups the sugar content. I've added in Fruit Loops and completely subbed CocoaPuffs, but everyone seems to prefer RKs, so now I just stick with those.

What about cheese, crackers and a fruit tray? Maybe yogurt? I wouldn't do pizza if your DD d/n like it and, frankly, chicken nuggets sound too complicated (how would you keep them warm?).

GL -- sounds like fun!

PS -- nice to see you back!!

randomkid
12-31-2008, 12:35 AM
I'd tie the rings onto the RKTs with ribbon.

What about cheese, crackers and a fruit tray? Maybe yogurt? I wouldn't do pizza if your DD d/n like it and, frankly, chicken nuggets sound too complicated (how would you keep them warm?).

PS -- nice to see you back!!

I like the idea of tying rings on with ribbon. Do they still make colored plastic wrap? I could wrap individually in multi-colors! Great idea - thanks.

My Mom is able to help me. I was thinking a tray from Chik-Fil-A or reheat in microwave - there is one in the classroom. Definitely won't do pizza. Would like to provide the main part of lunch, then kids just bring their "sides" from home. Might do fruit in addition, but don't want to get too spendy. Of course, RKTs bring down the cost considerably!

Thanks, have to admit I'm still hesitant, but this board has given me so much help and many great ideas in the past that it's hard to stay away.

sdjeppa
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
We did a snack time b-day party for DS last year in his class...are there any wizard of oz stickers or temp. tattoos? DS had a firetruck theme, so I got each child a fireman hat and a firetruck tattoo - those were a big hit. :) We did cupcakes, but I agree with you about them not being eaten.

randomkid
12-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Been searching the internet - which ideas do you like best/what do you think?

Lunch: Chicken nuggets - or - sandwiches (likely cheese and PB&J) cut into shapes using cookie cutters such as stars, dogs, anything else Wizard of Oz related. Rice Krispie Treats wrapped in colored plastic wrap for dessert - add colored sprinkles or M&Ms?

Decorations: Yellow table cloth (could draw bricks on if feeling energetic), green plates/cups, this centerpiece http://images.birthdayexpress.com/bexpress/assets/thumbnails/E2278CN.jpg, then use the actual party supplies for family party at home

For classmates: found printable coloring pages - roll up like diplomas, rings tied to Rice Krispie treats, stickers if I can find them and these lollipops (they are mini pops) http://cracklecdn-e7.simplecdn.net/img/designed2bsweet/W300-H300-Bffffff/2/miniswirlpops.jpg
Guess I'll just do some sort of treat bag with these things - seems easy enough and will just use a plain, non-themed treat bag.

Any other suggestions or anything you wouldn't do?

Thanks

SpaceGal
12-31-2008, 01:53 AM
What about frozen squeezeable yogurt...or like simple vanilla ice cream cups (that's what I'm planning to do for DS when his birthday comes around). Or how about sugar cookies cut in rainbow shapes...or something from wizard of the oz shaped.

jenmcadams
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
... I was thinking a tray from Chik-Fil-A or reheat in microwave - there is one in the classroom...

You may already know this, but just in case you didn't -- I think Chik-Fil-A uses peanut oil, so if you have any peanut allergies in the class this might not work.

If not, I think these trays are awesome and the kids always love them, but thought I'd bring up the peanut issue in case you (like me) didn't know about it. Have fun with the party and the RK treats sound great (we've also used part RKs and part Frituy Pebbles in RK treats before too if you want some color)

MamaKath
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM
I've had parents bring in a tray of fruit and a tray of nuggets from Chik-fil-a, along with juice boxes and a desert in the past. The kids enjoyed the nuggets and the fruit went with it well. For many of them though, they were still hungry. Adding a yogurt or something that would go well with the fruit might help in that department.

This year the school is pushing not to have these though as it was becoming a contest to see who could do more. We are back to the simple treats- cookies, cupcakes, snack mix, etc.

randomkid
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I've had parents bring in a tray of fruit and a tray of nuggets from Chik-fil-a, along with juice boxes and a desert in the past. The kids enjoyed the nuggets and the fruit went with it well. For many of them though, they were still hungry. Adding a yogurt or something that would go well with the fruit might help in that department.

This year the school is pushing not to have these though as it was becoming a contest to see who could do more. We are back to the simple treats- cookies, cupcakes, snack mix, etc.

That's why I would only do the nuggets and maybe fruit. The teacher gives a note to parents to send more with their own chid to supplement. When DD's classmate had a party, her note indicated that Mom would provide pizza only and stated to please bring extra food for your child. Trying to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for the info.

So, the nuggets go over well? DD is not a big eater, so 3-4 nuggets is usually enough for her. How many do you think an average child would eat?

wendmatt
12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
I think you can't go wrong with sandwiches, either cut into shapes or just plain, some chips (as a treat) and some veggies, baby carrots are easy. Then some fruit if you wanted and the rice crispie treats. I think kids like this kind of food, they can eat as many sandwiches as they want if you make extra and just the fact that it's called a party makes them enjoy it. I wouldn't get too caught up in making it fancy.

misshollygolightly
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Could you tint the RK treats yellow w/ food-dye and cut them into rectangles to be "bricks" from the yellow brick road?

Percycat
12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
If you make rice krispie treats, you could add colored cereal to the mix. I think there is a micky mouse rice krispie cereal. We made treats using that cereal once and it was disgustingly sweet. Since then, we have added some of the rainbow cereal to regular rice krispies and they were fun and tasted good.

My kids love to take ice cream cups to preschool as a treat. At our grocery store, they have rainbow sherbert cups. At my sons's birthday party at our home last month, I had an assortment of cups (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and sherbert).... the rainbow sherbert were the first to go.

mommy111
12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Just chiming in to say we did chicken nuggets for DD's school birthday and they were a huge hit. We factored in 4-5 per child and ran out! (this was in addition to cupcakes, juice boxes etc)

randomkid
12-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Just chiming in to say we did chicken nuggets for DD's school birthday and they were a huge hit. We factored in 4-5 per child and ran out! (this was in addition to cupcakes, juice boxes etc)

Yeah, that's why I'm hesitant to do the nuggets. I don't want to cook a bunch of them, but Chik-Fil-A trays are somewhat costly. A small tray isn't too bad, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough.

randomkid
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Could you tint the RK treats yellow w/ food-dye and cut them into rectangles to be "bricks" from the yellow brick road?

That's a cute idea. Maybe I can find yellow plastic wrap and could just line them up on something to make a little road. Don't know if food dye would work - might have to use a lot and would rather avoid it.

MamaMolly
12-31-2008, 11:49 PM
That's a cute idea. Maybe I can find yellow plastic wrap and could just line them up on something to make a little road. Don't know if food dye would work - might have to use a lot and would rather avoid it.

Why not wrap them up in yellow tissue paper? A little messy as far as unwrapping but no worse that cupcake liners.

I love the lollypops. So cute.

bubbaray
12-31-2008, 11:50 PM
ixnay on the tissue paper. the RKTs will stick to it. BTDT. LOL.

I too love those lollypops. I want one! :)