PDA

View Full Version : Ergo back carry

Swimfreak78
12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
When shoudl you switch from front to back? DS is almost 9 months (within a few days) and just over 20 lbs. I hurt my back a few weeks ago, but I miss carrying him plus it's a pain to pull out a stroller every time since he doesn't like shoppiing carts. Is the back carry better for your back?

citymama
12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
We were big fans of front-carrying with the Ergo. We used front carry until almost 2 yrs and probably 28 lbs! I found back carry hurt my shoulders and neck a lot after more than 15-20 minutes. My DH used back carry, but only when hiking - even he preferred to front carry.

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
DS started doing a back carry around 8 mos, I believe. We don't use it a ton, but when we do, everyone is happy. We don't use it all day long or for long periods.

pantrygirl
12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I like the front carry but DH prefers the back carry.

Our baby is 5 months old.

mamababa
01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I find back carries much more comfy than front carries. My physical therapist recommended back carries as better for you ergonomically. Hope this helps!

Canna
01-05-2009, 10:05 PM
When I first started using the back carry in the Ergo, it seemed a little physically difficult at first. I think I was just using muscles that I wasn't used to using. I think the back carry is really awesome in the Ergo now (and my Mei Tais...and my new Beco I got from mamabargains!). It's the number one carry that I use with my 11 month-old and has been since probably about 5-6 months of age. I can carry my 36 lb 4 year-old without extreme effort on my back in the Ergo or Beco as well. Your baby just needs to have good head control and neck strength.