PDA

View Full Version : Upstairs Bedrooms

farsk
01-01-2009, 10:20 AM
At what age would you be comfortable having your children in an upstairs bedroom?

I have a house that was built in 1940. There are two bedrooms and a bathroom on the main living level, and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.

My SO has a daughter who is three, Ellen is five. Although the topic has not been brought up in a couple of months, there is a real possibility that our two households will become one within two years. That would make Ellen 7 and his daughter 5.

Ellen's had her own room in *her* room since she was born and I can't think of a way for her to share it without her feeling hurt.

So what is left is giving the girls their own rooms upstairs.

The master bedroom is on the main level and the stairs going upstairs are steep.

What do you think?

JBaxter
01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I dont think it would be a problem at all especially at 6 or 7 yrs old. Lots of homes around here have master suites on the main levels and bedrooms upstairs.

When Logan and Connor were small ( newborn to 6yrs) I lived in a 3 level town house with the master on the 3rd floor. They were on the 2nd level from about a year ( when they slept through the night).

happymomma
01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I like that at least the girls will be upstairs. I think at 7 and 5, they should be fine (unless if either one wakes up a lot at night or sleep walk). I wouldn't be comfortable the other way around. The thing is also, a lot can change in 2 years time. Maybe by then, the girls might also want to share a room together. I know that right now my DS would love to share a room with his little sister. It's nice to have a companion in the same room sometimes.

mecawa
01-01-2009, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to put them upstairs, especially at 5 and 7 yrs. old.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I think that would be fine for a 5 and 7 year old, or even a 4 and 6 year old.

And I agree that the girls may even want to share a room. I know that my girls would love to, but Amy sleeps so poorly that I am afraid she would keep Sarah up at night and Sarah REALLY needs her sleep.

caleymama
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Our house has 2 bedrooms - one one the main level and then the upstairs is one large bedroom and a 1/2 bath (+ lots of attic crawl space). DH and I are downstairs in the small-ish bedroom and the girls share the upstairs. We moved into this house 2 years ago when DDs were 4 and 2. That was the first time they had shared a room for anything other than an overnight and it's worked out great. There are times when I wish I could separate them and send them to their *own* rooms, but for the most part I wouldn't trade it. In terms of mastering the stairs or anything like that, there have been no issues. Our house was built in 1940 also.

Long story short, I wouldn't worry about putting them upstairs when the time comes but I also wouldn't rule out them sharing a room. You never know!