PDA

View Full Version : american doll - Samantha -- wonder why?

Babywhite
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm so shocked that American Girl would retire the Samantha doll. Anyone have any thoughts why they would retire one of the Historical dolls?

Happy New Year!

Melaine
01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
I KNOW!?!?! This is making me really sad, she has always been my favorite and been around since the beginning. She's also the only one I own, I've had her since I was 12. I'm also wondering where they are going with this retirement thing....and if they are going to be worth a lot of money!

Babywhite
01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I just ordered a Samantha doll for a future gift for DD. I really like this character, and I don't want to miss out on buying her. :)

Also, she is back-ordered until May -- I think.)

I wonder if "archived" will mean the same thing as "retired" -- or does it mean they can bring her back in the future?

egoldber
01-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I know, it makes me really sad. :( I wonder if they plan to introduce new dolls. I'm also wondering if this is a cost cutting type things to reduce the number of dolls that they sell. Although it seems odd to me that they would cut Samantha because I think she is one of the more popular dolls.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Also, she is back-ordered until May -- I think.)

If she's still going to be available I am going to be sooooo mad. The only reason I got Samantha for Sarah for this holiday was because she was being discontinued. (Although my MIL ended up reimbursing us and having Samantha be from her, but still).

Sugar Magnolia
01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Man, she is my favorite. I have a few AG stored at my dad's house for when dd is old enough to be trusted with them.

I hope they don't start retiring other dolls as well.

annasmom
01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
If she's still going to be available I am going to be sooooo mad. The only reason I got Samantha for Sarah for this holiday was because she was being discontinued. (Although my MIL ended up reimbursing us and having Samantha be from her, but still).

I definitely think she is being discontinued, and if you got her for this holiday I would consider yourself lucky. My sil paid double the price on ebay for a Samantha doll because she couldn't get it directly from AG in time for Christmas.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
My sil paid double the price on ebay for a Samantha doll because she couldn't get it directly from AG in time for Christmas.

Yikes!!!! I did really well then, because I got her with a $10 off code. But I did order pretty much immediately after I got the e-mail that she was being discontinued.

AngelaS
01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
She must be one of the most popular--I found two Samanthas (and a Nellie and a Samantha bed) at garage sales last summer. My dd wants Kaya and I doubt I'll find her second hand. :P

Rainbows&Roses
01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I think it was a way to raise some fast cash for the company, but there is also this rumor which would make it *sort of* understandable for this retirement since the time period for Samantha is similar.

"I am hearing from a pretty reliable "little birdie" that AG will release a new historical next year. A Jewish girl named Rebecca.
eta The guess is that she from 1914, but it could also be 1924. Close to Samantha's time period though. She will come with:

a Sabbath set (around $100!!!), a Haunnukkah set, a sideboard, a bed, kittens, a phonograph, a movie outfit, a school outfit, a school set and some other things. "

kransden
01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
They are getting rid of Samantha, it is just taking a while. Why not get all that money? I predict they will bring her back for the 25th anniversary. She'll have a different wig (she still has the old wig style) and a pared down collection. Sam's collection was rather bloated. The collector boards think Molly will be next to go.

AG has been focusing on the Just Like You(JLY) dolls. Which makes the collectors mad but makes sense. They had a really nice sleigh at Xmas, but is was for all the dolls, not just for Samantha.

They have a new doll historical coming out! Her name is Rebecca (sp?) and she is Jewish!! Lot of people are very excited about this. The release date isn't known.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
OMG OMG OMG!!!! I have been soooooooooooo waiting for a Jewish AG doll!!!! It has seemed like a very big gap in their collection. Any links or anything to share????

Babywhite
01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Could you provide some info/link about the collector's board you are referring to...I have a friend that would be very interested!!

Thanks!

Babywhite

kransden
01-01-2009, 10:39 PM
There are two boards that I know of http://agplaythings.proboards105.com/index.cgi is easy to get on, and http://agfansboard.proboards56.com/index.cgi which is for the under 18 crowd and heavily moderated, and is not easy to get on.

All I know from the boards is that Rebecca will be Jewish from 1914. The named is trademarked by AG. So it is a done deal. If they post anything of substance, I'll post it here if the other board allows it (They have reposting rules.). As for Molly going next, I speculate that because they are getting rid of a lot of her line and others have noticed it too. They just got rid of Licorice the stuffed cat today and didn't even bother to announce it. Grrh I was lucky I already had bought her.

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Karin, do you know if they will be retiring Nellie as well? My dd is upset about Samantha, but confused that it seemed they are keeping Nellie.

That is exciting to have them come out with a new historic doll. I can't wait to hear more. :)

egoldber
01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Nellie is considered part of Samantha's "collection" and she is being retired as well. They may have more of Nellie in stock though.

Rainbows&Roses
01-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Karin, do you know if they will be retiring Nellie as well? My dd is upset about Samantha, but confused that it seemed they are keeping Nellie.

That is exciting to have them come out with a new historic doll. I can't wait to hear more. :)

Nellie has been sold out on-line for a long time. In fact I just looked and I can't even find her. A store a friend was at was completely sold out also. Too bad as she is one of the cutest dolls IMO.

kransden
01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Nellie has been sold out since I think around Thanksgiving (maybe later). I bought her in Oct. and she came in an old style box. So there are no more of her to be found. She just wasn't a fast mover, hence all the old stock in old boxes. She is very pretty with her apple cheeks. She has been riding horses a lot with Elizabeth at my house.

Globetrotter
01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
OMG OMG OMG!!!! I have been soooooooooooo waiting for a Jewish AG doll!!!! It has seemed like a very big gap in their collection. Any links or anything to share????

Beth, have you seen these?

http://www.galigirls.com/wrapper.php?gpage=faq.html

I saw one in person and it looks (quality wise) just like the AG dolls, as far as I could tell.

Kris

kransden
01-04-2009, 08:18 AM
They look a lot like the dolls from Target. Do you know if their hair is wigged or rooted?

egoldber
01-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Sarah really wants an AG doll though. And it just bothered me that there was no doll to represent the Jewish American experience. Although there are plenty of other gaps in their repertoire a well. :)

Globetrotter
01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
They look a lot like the dolls from Target. Do you know if their hair is wigged or rooted?

I'm not sure but they looked and felt like quality AG dolls, not the Target counterparts.

bjessen
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
We bought a Gali Girl a little over a year ago (she was 6, almost 7). We were looking at American Girls (dd has a Bitty Baby and the Bitty Twins already), but at the time many she liked had earrings (something we are not encouraging). I also was looking for more modest outfits and found the Gali Girl. The online commercial is funny. Anyway, it is very much like the AG quality. The outfits are very nice too. The only complaint, we didn't realize the GG eyes do not close. DD doesn't like that too much, but otherwise loves her.

Now that AG seems to have some of the dolls that had earrings offered without earrings, we are going with another AG doll for her upcoming b-day (turns 8 soon). We are looking at going to the LA store too (a first for us). We still will be looking at more outfits from Gali Girl...the several we bought are awesome and more closely represent regular girl outfits (long jean skirt, dresses, tops) imo, instead of mini versions of teen outfits.

Beth, have you seen these?

http://www.galigirls.com/wrapper.php?gpage=faq.html

I saw one in person and it looks (quality wise) just like the AG dolls, as far as I could tell.

Kris