PDA

View Full Version : American Girl dolls - "Girl of the year" dolls

Babywhite
01-01-2009, 04:26 PM
DD saw the AG 2009 Girl of the Year doll on my computer earlier today -- and, of course, fell in love with it. She's too young for one right now, but it made me wonder about these specific AG dolls.

Last year, I had tried to find a NIB AG "Girl of the Year" doll for the year she was born -- and the prices on ebay (the only place I know to look for retired dolls) were ridiculous!! Also, how do you really know that the dolls are NIB -- who knows if the seller is honest about this info...

Anyone like/buy these specific AG dolls yearly?

TIA

egoldber
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I have never bought one before, but I am very tempted this year. I *love* that her theme is empowerment and highlights the issue of girl bullying. My older DD has been a bully magnet (she is very emotional and easily upset, which makes her a target) and I anticipate this will only get worse as she gets into older grades. I think this doll, her books and her theme could be very, very helpful for Sarah.

I have a friend who lives in Colorado and she bought the Nikki (sp?) doll for her DD even though her DD will not be old enough for one for a few years yet. I thought that was a good idea on her part. Especially since, as you say, the older dolls go for a mint on eBay. And I would only buy from a seller with a lot of positive feedback.

ellies mom
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
She sews and knits too!! She may replace Ruthie as my favorite.

I agree, this does seem like a great doll.

bubbaray
01-01-2009, 05:27 PM
STTTTOOOOOPPPPP! Ack. I love this doll. Seriously. I'm totally considering buying two for down the road. OMG, stop posting these AG things. LOL

Melaine
01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Off to look her up.....Yes, all these AG posts are making me a little nuts too. I feel like I should go buy the entire Samantha collection because it just occurred to me that although I have two of the dolls I need all the stuff for them if they are going to retire them!
Christmas is OVER.....MUST stop buying toys.

Melaine
01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Does she have a movie, I think I saw a trailer on the Kit movie? Are they going to do a movie every year or something? are the other AG movies good? I've only seen Kit.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
FWIW, my DD is not into the stuff and accessories for the doll at all. She just wants the doll, the books and a nightgown. Her dolls all live on her bed and it is very important to her that they have proper sleepwear. :ROTFLMAO:

Melaine
01-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure I would be WAY more into the accessories than my DDs. I used to pour over the catalogs for hours when I was a little girl. And I loved all the books.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
We have all the movies, except Kit. I bought a 3 pack of DVDs with the Samantha, Molly and Felicity movies this past spring for $15 at Costco. They are all in the same style as the Kit movie. I think they are well done and Sarah enjoys them but I wouldn't feel compelled to own them though. My library has them, so you may want to check that out too. I only bought the Costco 3 pack because it was a really good deal and I saved them and gave them to Sarah for Christmas. She had kind of an AG themed holiday season this year. :)

Babywhite
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm very excited about getting DD the Samantha doll. I totally understand about wanting pjs or a nightgown for each one -- DD also thinks that dolls need a gown or pjs at "night night" time.

I had actually looked before, but I don't think the Samantha doll had a gown or pjs -- if someone knows about one -- let me know. :)

Babywhite

egoldber
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
She did have a nightgown, but it has been sold out on-line for some time. I actually did not order the nightgown originially and then Sarah told me (too late) that she wanted one. So I ended up sewing one myself using the pattern here:

http://www.agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html

I simplified it a bit (cut out most of the lace trims) and you had to cut and paste the pattern pieces together, but it went to together beautifully.

Melaine
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Her nightgown was white with a high neck and pink ribbons....remembered from my youth spent pouring over catalog.

egoldber
01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
It's still on the website:

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/ProductPage.jsf/itemId/140573/itemType/TOY/webTemplateId/3/uniqueId/209/saleGroupId/144

kransden
01-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Almost all of the Samantha stuff is gone, so don't worry about trying to get it. They have a DVD of Chrissa coming out I think on the 9th. I love the Lamas!

elephantmeg
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
yes, the AG stuff has to stop! I would have done almost anything for one growing up and I really want to get one for DD but I think she's a little young :) so I opted for a Corolle Calin instead, lol. Luckily it's Kirstin I always wanted so I'm not running out to get all the Samantha stuff :) But I did want all the accessories growing up!

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
She sews and knits too!! She may replace Ruthie as my favorite.

I agree, this does seem like a great doll.

ITA! I wish *I* could get one, lol. I definitely need to at minimum get the books for this one. DD already got Mia this past year. I haven't shown her the arrived-today-catalog yet with Chrissa. :)

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Okay, I have to say, I think it is pushing it that they introduced a girl of the year with 2 friends (who I am thinking will also be just for 2009) during the current economic situation. Is it just me that finds that slightly odd?