PDA

View Full Version : I'm somewhat ashamed to say.....

Melaine
01-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I am totally in the "twilight zone" here.

Please, no spoilers, as I am impatiently awaiting the Amazon order of Books 3 & 4, but I am just here to confess, I can hardly stop thinking about the story. I was afraid the second one would disappoint me, but I actually really got into the story even more through New Moon.

I've always loved to read, but I'll confess I haven't really been drawn into a good book since college. Until now.....

What is it about these books that is so addictive? I mean, the main characters are kind of ridiculous but I still find myself daydreaming about vampires! I am used to reading much more sophisticated literature, and I'm embarrassed to even tell DH how much I like them. If I do, he will probably pick one up and explode into laughter!

s7714
01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
They are kind of strangely addictive aren't they? I read the first one just to see what all the fuss was about. I liked it o.k., but really had no intention of reading the second one until I read the teaser chapter at the end of the first book. For some reason that little bit hooked me and I finally put myself on the wait list for book #2 at the library because I'm feeling compelled to read it still. :shrug: Although it doesn't help we've been watching True Blood either--kind of puts you in the mood to keep reading about vampires. ;)

billysmommy
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I totally got addicted to them too!!!! And would daydream about becoming a vampire :)

DH laughed and laughed at me ~ then he had a long car trip and was looking for some "fluff" to listen to. I got him Twilight on cd ~ guess who's hooked now ~ LOL

Melaine
01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I was tempted to tell DH to read it; on the one hand, he likes Harry Potter, CS Lewis, Tolkien, etc. but on the other hand, the mushy stuff may gross him out. My brother read the first book and called it "girls' p*rn", which I can sort of understand!

Fairy
01-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Upon first read of this post, I totally thought you meant the Twilight Zone maraghon on the sci-fi channel, which is going on right now for the New Years holiday, as they do every year. I was excited to post that my favorite is "Once Upon a Time" with Buster Keaton, which I missed this year since it was on at 6:30am ... but then I saw that no, indeed, what you meant was Twilight the vampire book.

Heh.

Happy Twilight Zoning, whatever your flavor of the Zone is!

Melaine
01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
If we had cable (other than like 8 channels) I would totally be watching the real Twilight Zone.
I love that show!

Pennylane
01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I loved them too and read all 4 in about 10 days! I don't know what it is about them either, but I was obsessed! Book 2 was my least favorite, but 3 and 4 are amazing! Enjoy them.

Ann

fauve01
01-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Upon first read of this post, I totally thought you meant the Twilight Zone maraghon on the sci-fi channel, which is going on right now for the New Years holiday, as they do every year. I was excited to post that my favorite is "Once Upon a Time" with Buster Keaton, which I missed this year since it was on at 6:30am ... but then I saw that no, indeed, what you meant was Twilight the vampire book.

Heh.

Happy Twilight Zoning, whatever your flavor of the Zone is!

LOL! Same here! DH is a Twilight Zone addict (well almost) and we watch a lot of the marathon. we were just talking about the fact that they've been doing it for a lot of years now! his fav episode is "To serve man" which was on last night around 10pm for us (he was falling asleep). dh has a bunch of other favorite episodes!

MmeSunny
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I love the entire series, but I was very disappointed at the end of Breaking Dawn. . .

SPOILER ALERT!!!

A love shield???? Really? It just seemed too "easy"--like she didn't really want to write a complicated battle scene and just copped out. Very Hallmark "it all works out great in the end for everyone."

That aside, I could not put them down which I haven't had that type of "need to read" since Harry Potter. I know. I'm a 31 year old mother addicted to teen lit. I justify it because I'm also a teacher and I have to "know what the kids are reading." LOL.

Interestingly enough, I have a lot of parents who won't let their daughters read them because they are about vampires (supposedly Satanic, anti-Christian witchcraft-type thing) and the sex. I tried to explain that they WAIT to have sex until they get married and that the protagonist vampires fight for NOT killing. I mean the whole series is full of very moral and religious messages--the author is a Mormon for heaven's sake--but they still won't let their kids read what they themselves won't read to even find out if it's "appropriate."

(Wow, I really like "" marks. . . . .)

Twoboos
01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
I got book 4 for Christmas and basically ignored my family for 2.5 days while I read all 750 pages... I thought the last one was GREAT!!!

I'm sad it's over.

Melaine
01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Hmmm....well, I don't think I would let my girls read it until they were older. Maybe 16 or so if I felt like they could handle it. The books are very sexy, even though they don't have sex. The "anti-Christian" I don't really see....I'm ok with my kids being exposed to the vampire, wizards, stuff, it's pretend obviously. I just want to be careful about the morality of it all...and I don't want them to think that falling in love with someone dangerous is worth whatever pain it might put them through. So whatever age I feel like they had a good handle on dating and relationships I think I would be ok with it.

Melaine
01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I am already sad that it's over and I still am only half through. I love loving to read, and I just haven't loved to read in awhile.

Emmas Mom
01-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Because it's a nice, "happy" little love story. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the books. The entire series & I'm so hoping she finishes Midnight Sun. I've seen the movie SIX times & am hoping to get to see it again before it leaves the theatres. It's the little things right now. ;)

hellokitty
01-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I feel the same way. I am not normally into vampire books. Never got into the Anne Rice thing at all. The Harry Potter series was the last one that I actually got giddy about reading. I reluctantly started reading Twilight, b/c two of my friends who I would never suspect would read a vampire book, convinced me to do it. I read all four books in less than two wks, lol. I also went to go see the movie, which wasn't too bad. Kind of cheesy at parts, but overall, I felt they followed the book closely. Some of the characters were not really the way I imagined them to be and the house, while gorgeous, was totally different from what I had expected. Oh, and I'm totally Team Edward! :heartbeat:

Corie
01-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Interestingly enough, I have a lot of parents who won't let their daughters read them because they are about vampires (supposedly Satanic, anti-Christian witchcraft-type thing) and the sex. I tried to explain that they WAIT to have sex until they get married

I know that they didn't have sex but I thought the books were
VERY sexy.

I liked it. :)

JMS
01-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I finally saw the movie TODAY!! It was so good (I'm not a harsh movie critic though) and I think I'm going to start reading all 4 books from the beginning again!

Raidra
01-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm also ashamed to admit that I'm somewhat obsessed with the series. I read all four quite quickly (can so relate to the 'ignored my family' comment), and then just reread them all, too. Somehow, reading while also trying to entertain three children means that I miss parts, heh.

I don't know why they're so appealing to me. Her writing irritates me to no end. I think it's odd that they never say anything worse than 'darn' and the whole anti-premarital-sex thing is kind of odd. Honestly, it just seems like the author is a little naive. I'm really not a fan of first-person, and I wish she'd find some synonyms for 'scorching' and 'like a statue.' I thought the whole pregnancy thing was kind of far-fetched, too. All in all, the books are very predictable, which normally bores me.

So, seriously.. why do I constantly find myself daydreaming about the characters? Geez.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to. I asked my husband if he would laugh if I told him I wanted to watch it, and he laughed.. so, I haven't brought it up again. Hmm..

elektra
01-02-2009, 12:10 AM
I read the whole series too. I think part of the reason it was so addicting to me was that it brought me right back to my teens/early 20's when I would get completely obsessed with my first loves and couldn't stop thinking about them. I really enjoyed reading them but I am glad I read them as an adult vs. an impressionable teen. I would be hesitant to let DD read them, not because of the vampires or sex, but because the main character shifts her whole focus in life to this "boy", and is completely willing to give up her human life for him at a very young age. However, we did read Romeo and Juliet in school and I guess that's pretty much the same thing. Although Shakespeare didn't quite hold my attention the way these books did, as shameful that might be to admit! ;)

mommylamb
01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I just finished reading Twilight too. I didn't realize there were more books in the series other than whatever the sequal is that they had the teaser chapter for at the end of the book. total trash, but so much fun... though I was so glad when those other vamps got there because I was getting board about reading how beautiful Edward is constantly. The middle of the book was kind of dull, but the beginning and end were good.

We also just finished watching the first season of True Blood, and that I totally LOVED!!! It was very satisfying to the recovering Buffy adict part of me (thought nothing is as good as Buffy).

KBecks
01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Slightly huge hijack - I have wondered about sex in the Twilight series and whether I would end up "banning" any books for my children or not. My mother never let me read "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret", and I don't know why -- still have not read it. I resented her for it, actually I still kind of do! It seems silly.

But with sex and sexual themes in teen books, the whole thing scares me a little, to be honest. I totally believe in limiting what they watch on TV. I was horrified when my 12-year-old-ish nephew was watching Showgirls "Show me your t*ts" on TV once while he was channel flipping - during a family party! Eeeewww!

pastrygirl
01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I was addicted, too. I'm recovering now, though I'm reading the series for the second time (just finished Twilight in under 12 hours a few days ago). I'm not feeling the obsession the way I did the first time around, which was during Thanksgiving. It took me days to come out of that fog! I was thinking about Edward and Bella constantly. I'm better now. :)

DrSally
01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Slightly huge hijack - I have wondered about sex in the Twilight series and whether I would end up "banning" any books for my children or not. My mother never let me read "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret", and I don't know why -- still have not read it. I resented her for it, actually I still kind of do! It seems silly.

But with sex and sexual themes in teen books, the whole thing scares me a little, to be honest. I totally believe in limiting what they watch on TV. I was horrified when my 12-year-old-ish nephew was watching Showgirls "Show me your t*ts" on TV once while he was channel flipping - during a family party! Eeeewww!

I haven't read the books, but can understand the lure of the pure escapism. From what I've heard and pp's have noted, the theme is really abstinance and self-control. Not sure how graphic the novels get, but that's supposed to be the underlying msg. BTW, my mom was very strict on what we could watch/read, but she drove me to the library just to get "Are you there God, it's me Margaret". She didn't know what the book was about, so I think she was excited b/c she thought it was a religious book!

Melaine
01-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Finished all three books and saw the movie! Loved them all....the movie wasn't as good as I imagined, and I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it if I wasn't already a fan, but I still liked it.

firsttimemama
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Yep they're like crack

I finished all 4 in like a week

and then I was sad (ETA: that I finished them)

Melaine
01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Oh yeah, I meant all four books. I am kind of sad they are read up too.....

kransden
01-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Now it's time to start reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels: Dead Until Dark. I loved them. My library hold system is out until mid Feb., so I'll have to wait a little longer to read the Twilight series.

SheriRae
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm reading Sookie Stackhouse, book 1...will finish tonight! It is very good! More adult than Twilight.

I loved Twilight...just as others have said I too was sad it was over, but am finding Sookie is filling the void! : )