PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Mystery...

MontrealMum
01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Not really about Christmas, actually, but I liked the alliteration :) Here is my version of a "Jones" story. I'm not asking WWYD, but just sharing because it's just so odd...

I will try to keep this short, but it's really pretty involved and complicated. I was part of a group of three girlfriends in highschool, it was me, J, and K. J and I have both moved away from our hometown and have been gone for quite some time, but our mothers both still live there. K has not been too good about keeping in touch since getting married about 9 years ago (when I say not good, I mean really not good). In fact, a few years back, she and her husband moved and didn't tell me or J - I found out when I went home to visit and discovered her phone had been disconnected, subsequently I drove by her house to find strange cars in the drive. I called her parents and found that they didn't have an answering machine - in the end, it took us 2 years to track her down. But, I digress.

J just wrote me to say that she received an Xmas card from K - who is married with 2 girls. I have not gotten a card, but it may be that the mail is slow, or I might not be getting one, you never know with K. Anyhoo, the card is a photo of 3 little girls, and is signed "Merry Xmas, love X,Y,Z". No note, no parent's names - no explanation for the inclusion of the third mystery child.

According to J, the child must be at least a year based on size, ease of sitting, and that she has enough hair to have it up in a ponytail. Noone has heard anything about K being pregnant, or having had a baby. My last contact with her was at a baby shower thrown for me back home around May 2007 - my bff sent her an invite on a whim and she showed up to everyone's surprise. She certainly did not look pregnant, but if the kid's over a year, she would have been - though maybe not showing. Also, when I walked her out to her car she offered me the rest of the maternity clothes she had left as she explained she'd gotten rid of most of them since she and her DH were done. There have been no announcements of a birth in the church bulletin - she and my mom are members of the same church. Of course, she could have switched churches too considering her falling off the map after moving last time.

So, any ideas on where this kid came from? Adopted? A foster child? Her sister's? I can't imagine why it would be any of those, but who can say. If there hadn't been a photo, I might have said that the third little girl's name was a reference to a new dog; but there was a photo.

J and I are thinking that we should probably call though K is pretty darn hard to get ahold of by phone too; J felt guilty about missing the window for a gift and just not knowing, I felt angry and hurt. Now, I am just amazingly puzzled.

bubbaray
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I'd call. Maybe K is miffed that the third didn't get acknowledged by you and J (um, b/c you didn't know). Maybe she thinks you guys know??

Regardless, I'd call. Heck, give ME the number and I'll call. I'm super curious.

cleo27
01-01-2009, 11:25 PM
It certainly sounds like it's time to give a call to "catch up" on things. That is really strange!

you'll definitely have to post an update after you find out.

Good luck!

elephantmeg
01-01-2009, 11:33 PM
very odd! Maybe a cousin? Please share when you find out!

ett
01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I agree you should call. Now I'm curious too!

Fairy
01-01-2009, 11:46 PM
That's just werid. Call. I'd call till you get her and say, dude, please catch me up?

elektra
01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
OK, after reading this post, I literally just shot off an email to my little high school clique of 4 girls since my Christmas cards didn't make it to any of them I just realized! One was returned (even though the address was right), one was sent to the wrong address and the other 2 I just spaced out and didn't realize they were not on my list since I sent the cards at the very last second possible.
So maybe your friend is like me and just a slacker when it comes to cards and such? Especially with a new mystery 3rd child on her hands? ;)
I know that with this group of mine, I have really only stayed close to one of the 4, as I made even better friends in college and I know I didn't make a ton of effort to stay in touch as much, although they all seemed to. So maybe K just moved on a bit more too.
Regarding the 3rd child, it could either be that she was pregnant when you saw her at that shower and it's just another child of hers that she did not send you an announcement for. OR maybe she has taken in a relative's child to care for. One of DH's cousins did this, except the girl she cares for (maybe even offically adopted, not sure) was not a baby. She was about 3 or 4 when they got her. I think they took her in since her mother was not able to care for her for some reason that I can't exactly remember.
I would as J to call (since she got the card, and we are talking high school tactics afterall ;)) just to say how nice it was to hear from her and maybe hint at the origination of the 3rd child? She could then give you the scoop. ;)

MontrealMum
01-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Yes, I think you're all right, and a call should be made. I know people move on and move apart, and the more mature side of me is giving this that sort of spin and I really do wish her well, but part of me thinks that Melissa should make the call ;) ...meet confusion with confusion? No, I don't really mean that - and I will definitely post when I get the scoop.