PDA

View Full Version : So you just found out you have cancer, what are you going to do now??

Emmas Mom
01-02-2009, 01:25 AM
WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!! :yay:

Ok, just really trying to keep it on the light side because ya know...that's just what I need to do now. It's been crazy with doctor's appointments & tests & blood draws & scans :dizzy: and since DD#2's birthday is on the 13th...yep, we're going to Disneyland. I used to work there & have a couple friends who still do, plus DH's uncle has been the drummer in the Disneyland band for 25 or so years so we have "connections" to get us signed in. And DH's aunt & uncle have asked us to stay with them so no hotel needed! Yay! Practically free Disneyland trip! We're going to go down just for a few days & play at the parks for two but I think we so need it before my surgery, which was scheduled on the 15th but got moved (due to a scheduling debacle) to the 21st. I'm pretty sure I've decided to do the double mastectomy because I really don't want to have to go through this EVER again if I can at all avoid it. My insurance company (bastards) denied the PET scan my Oncologist ordered because you have to be stage 2 or higher, per their "requirements" to qualify for one. So instead I have to have a CT scan & a Bone scan. And I'm sure two scans are MUCH cheaper than one (insert sarcasm). :banghead: I don't know, maybe they are but it's just ONE more test I have to have before surgery. Oh well, not like I have anything better to do & what's one more stick with a needle? :rolleye0014:

I ended up getting an infection & had to go to the doctor. He told me they were going to give me an antibiotic shot & they asked me if I was ok with needles. I think they were a little worried for a second when I started to laugh. :hysterical:

Everyone keeps asking me how I feel & honestly, I feel fine! I guess that's one of the crazy things about cancer. I'm not nervous...yet. I know as it gets closer I will be. Focusing on other things, like Disneyland, is helping. Recovery is going to be difficult & chemo is not going to be a picnic. I was sitting outside with a couple of my friends the other day & our kids were all playing. It was probably in the upper 50's & I was getting chilly. I just kept thinking about how cold my ears were going to get without hair! I definitely need to get some hats & scarves & such. I should start really looking into that! ;)

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Kristine, you are my hero. Seriously. I mean that in all honesty. You have such a fabulous attitude and I just wish I could reach through my computer screen and give you a huge hug and a big hi-five.

Stay strong Mama! And have an absolutely FABULOUS trip!!!! :)

todzwife
01-02-2009, 01:35 AM
HUGE hugs to you! You are an inspiration!

elliput
01-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Have a great trip, Kristine!

Gotta love those Disneyland connections. :thumbsup: My SIL used to pilot Jungle Boats.

Wife_and_mommy
01-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Kristine, you are my hero. Seriously. I mean that in all honesty. You have such a fabulous attitude and I just wish I could reach through my computer screen and give you a huge hug and a big hi-five.

ITA

Huge hugs, Kristine.:hug:

spunkybaby
01-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Hugs to you, Kristine! I hope you and your family have a blast at Disneyland :)

Babywhite
01-02-2009, 02:36 AM
You and your family were on my mind during the holidays...

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Babywhite

citymama
01-02-2009, 02:38 AM
:bowdown:

You are totally my hero. With an attitude like that, cancer doesn't have a chance.

Have a fantastic time at Disneyworld!

hez
01-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Have a wonderful trip!

I'm thinking good thoughts for you (and praying!).

elektra
01-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Have a great time at DL!

alexsmommy
01-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Have a fantabulous trip!
Store up lots of positive energy for your recovery.

JTsMom
01-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Yep, I have to :yeahthat: too- you are just amazing Kristine! :grouphug: I hope you guys have a fabulous time at Disney. We just went recently, and had the time of our lives! Make sure you tell us all about it when you get back.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
You're awesome, really!

Hey wait, going to Disney, staying with relatives...does this mean you and DH can go out on a DATE when the kids go to sleep because people will already be at the house to watch them?

Have a blast!

JMS
01-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Kristine,
We all think about you all the time. Your positive attitude is inspiring. Have the greatest trip in DW with your family then come home and kick cancer in the a$$. We are pulling for you!!! All the P & PT I have coming your way :)

shawnandangel
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Have the greatest trip in DW with your family then come home and kick cancer in the a$$.

:yeahthat:

Have a great time!!!!!

JenaW
01-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I haven't had the time to post much in your other threads but I just wanted to say that you have been in my thoughts and prayers since you first posted about your dx. Your attitude is very inspiring. I hope you have an incredible trip. Please continue to keep us updated, and I will continue to keep praying.

J

elephantmeg
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I hope you all have a blast!

Bens Momma
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
You go, girl!! You are an inspiratation and with your strength and GREAT attitude I have no doubt that you will beat this. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers! Have an awesome trip!

Hugs-
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

amandabea
01-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Kristine, I couldn't agree more with what Melissa wrote. You are such an inspiration. Have fun at DL!!

Amanda

Melaine
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I just kept thinking about how cold my ears were going to get without hair! I definitely need to get some hats & scarves & such. I should start really looking into that! ;)

Someone in another post mentioned BUFF headwear, and they look awesome. Might be something fun for you to keep warm and cute! There are like 12 different ways you can wear it or something....never seen them IRL. http://www.buffwear.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/1

I think we are all amazed and encouraged by your attitude. And you are setting a great example to your kids about positive outlook and NOT being consumed with worry. Thanks for being honest and open with all of us, we are all better for it!!

I'm glad ya'll are planning the trip, it sounds great!

mamaoftwins
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Big hugs, Kristine! Have a GREAT time!

SASM
01-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Have a wonderful trip!!! Yu and your family are in our thoughts and prayers, mama!!

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2009, 11:15 AM

I couldn't have said it any better. I wish you all the best.

Beth

pinkmomagain
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Hope you and your family enjoy DL with abandon! I so admire your outlook...you truly are an inspiration.

calv
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM

ditto. I admire you so much w/your attitude w/life. I know you're going to have a blast w/the family. I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mamicka
01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
ITA

Huge hugs, Kristine.:hug:

Ditto that! I've been thinking of you a lot.

Pennylane
01-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Hope you have a great trip, you deserve it!

Ann

brittone2
01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
You just absolutely have the most amazing kick a$$ attitude :) Enjoy your trip!!

You are an amazing woman!

o_mom
01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Have a wonderful trip!

Happy 2B mommy
01-02-2009, 12:53 PM
You're attitude is inspiring. I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip.

MontrealMum
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Kristine, I am in awe of your strength and attitude :bowdown: I know you'll all have a wonderful time at Disneyland, and it sounds like just the way to kick off successful cancer treatment. Have a great time, and I'll be thinking of all of you.

Emmas Mom
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
You ladies are awesome & I appreciate the support so much. While my friends & family have all been very supportive, oddly enough I get more support & encouragement here than from some of my IRL friends. Not my close ones, of course, but some that I really thought I'd actually hear from a bit more (knowing I'd be calling them if the roles were reversed), nada. My "BFF" from high school & college e-mailed me once when I first told everyone. We haven't been super close since college but we were the kind of friends where people thought you shared one brain, you know? I guess I was a little hurt she didn't even call or anything. I don't know, anyway, thanks to all of you....my cyber friends! :grouphug:

And Melaine...those are cool, thanks for the link. Like Survivor buffs! :thumbsup:

TraciG
01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Kristine, wow you do have an amazing attitude ! I hope / know you will have a fabulous time.

BEST OF LUCK

tell us how the trip went :0 )

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Have a great time at Disney! :yay:
You are a strong, courageous, brave future-survivor!!! Stay strong Mama!!!:jammin:

KBecks
01-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Have a wonderful time at Disney! I hope it's a great trip for everyone in your family.

Tammy
01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Go and have a great time! I'll be thinking and praying for you.

eliasmom
01-03-2009, 10:54 PM
You really are so amazing and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

srhs
01-03-2009, 11:22 PM
YAY! Have a magical time!!!
What a wonderful mom you are! I can only imagine you are pooped with all of your tests, etc., and you are going to do the mommy-work of getting your family to a wonderful trip! What a special treat for your girls right before things get stressful! Take lots of :28:s so you can all relive the thrill!

You are a total inspiration! I can't wait to read your imminent remission posts! :)