PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a name!!! (Girl)

tarnator
01-02-2009, 02:30 AM
We have a beautiful little girl who showed up 8 weeks early! But we didn't have time to plan names and now we are stuck. help!
It has been 4 weeks and we can't nail it down....

Choices:

1. Teia (pronounced Tay-uh), like the scandinavian version of 'Thea'
2. Neve (phonetic version of Niamh)
3. Nia (short version of Niamh)

Middle name will be Luise, as it is a family name.

What do people like?

kijip
01-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I vote for Neve.

citymama
01-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Congratulations on the new baby girl! Hope she is doing well despite being so early.

I second the vote for Neve. It's beautiful.

Clarity
01-02-2009, 03:17 AM
Three votes for Neve. Congratulations!

american_mama
01-02-2009, 03:28 AM
I like Teia, although it would be hard for me to guess the pronunciation from the spelling. Maybe Teya? Taya? would make the pronunciation clearer. If if bothers you, Teia Luise sounds a bit like the actress Tea Leoni.

I also like Nia Luise, but Nia but itself seems a little short to me. It is pronounced Nee-ah, right, not Nye-ah? Mia with an M is also a somewhat popular name now and Maya/Mya/Mia is a top 10 name, so you might find people mistakenly calling her Mia, if that bothers you.

I like the name Neve best, but not with Luise as a middle name. Too rhyming. Although granted, you don't usually say the first and middle name together.

Do you like Nila or Neela at all? Seems similar to your other choices. The Indian doctor on ER was named that, plus I know a Burmese/American girl named that.

Neatfreak
01-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Teia is my first choice, but Neve is a close second ...

tarnator
01-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks for asking citymama - she is doing super well despite being early. In fact she pulled out her NG tube today (naughty girl!) and they are going to leave it out to see if she can feed well enough without it. Fingers crossed!

We are lucky compared to some of the darling little mites in the NICU who were born way earlier and have heart or breathing issues. :(

Picking a name has been surprisingly stressful. I don't want to mess it up!

graciebellesmomma
01-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Love the name Neve!

How about Nuala? It's an Irish family name.
I love it, but dh wanted a more traditional name.

alexsmommy
01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Congrats! My 32 weeker is downstairs driving me nuts - so glad you have a feeder grower. It's funny how these tiny ones just yank those annoying tubes out. Best of luck in your decision.

shawnandangel
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Another vote for Neve

amandabea
01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Teia is my first choice, but Neve is a close second ...
Yeah that. Congratulations on your baby girl!

Amanda

JMS
01-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I think Teia Luise has a beautiful sound to it. Congratulations :)

Melaine
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I really like Teia. Congrats on your early arrival. Glad to hear she is doing wel!

mecawa
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
My vote would be for Neve but a close second would be Teia ( I have a cousin with that name except she is Thea!!). Congrats on your new baby girl!!!

Octobermommy
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I vote for Neve with Teia coming in second

Edited to add: Congratulations! Hope she is doing well

mamaoftwins
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
My vote is also for Neve - that was one of our top girl names! :)

Congrats, and hope she's ready to come home soon!

fivi2
01-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Teia is my vote, with Neve a close second.

amldaley
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I love the name Neve. It made our short list when we were choosing a name for dd. It is unusual without being strange and is easy to pronounce on sight.

I love that it has different meanings in different languages. The sweetest of which is "snow" or pure and white (like snow) which is appropriate given the season she was born in!

Congratulations, btw!!!!

pinkmomagain
01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I like Nia (but maybe because I have a Mia). Neve is a close 2nd.

MontrealMum
01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I like Neve also, but I might consider the cultural background of people in your area when using that spelling to designate the Gaelic Niamh - of course, not many people know Niamh is supposed to be pronounced [neve]. The only reason I mention this is that where I grew up, there was a large Dutch population and I knew several Dutch women with that spelling - but it was pronounced Neva - 2 syllables, not 1, Neve. Just something to think about if you worry about mispronunciation.

ETA: found this site of Irish baby names you might want to check out: http://www.babynamesofireland.com/pages/girl-names-n-z.html

And I forgot to say...Congratulations !!!

srhs
01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! :applause:

I like Nia best!

SASM
01-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I vote for Neve, with Teia as a close second (love how it flows with Luise, as my kids always prefer to use both their first AND middle names...strange, I know)! Neve was our other name choice for DD2 ~ LOVE it!!! I loved that it was Irish and Italian (for "snow" ~ which is suitable for your new DD's season...CONGRATS and good luck!). How are you going to pronounce it ~ long E, short e, or NEE-ev (the traditional pronunciation for Niamh)? DH wanted the gaelic spelling and there was NO WAY that I'd go for that ~ very neat and unique but noone would have been able to pronounce it. Oh...just thought that I'd add that Neve was in the "Baby Name Bible" highlighted like crazy as being a **HOT NAME**, and they had it on several lists throughout the book, so your DD might be one of several Neve's in her class. Just you might like to know. ;)

Good luck!

KpbS
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I vote for Neve but this spelling. Congrats!

gatorsmom
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I love Teia Luise. It flows off the tongue so nicely. I've never been a fan of Neve. I always think of Neve Campbell who seems so dull to me.

Guess I"m the lone dissenter here.

Prayers for your darling little girl. Glad she is doing so well!

HIU8
01-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Anothe vote for Teia. I think that is a really pretty name.

Snow mom
01-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Congratulation on your baby girl! My vote is for Teia. It seems like whichever name you choose will be good. Have you tried calling her/ referring to her by each of the names for a day? This really helped when we were deciding. Some names that I thought I loved really wore on me by the end of the day. Keep us posted on what you choose!

~Lisa

squimp
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I love Nia. It's a wonderful combination of unusual and simple.

Congratulations on your new baby girl!

arivecchi
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Neve is beautiful!

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Congratulations!!!

I vote for Neve. There used to be a mama on here named Neve. Amazing courageous lady. :) Always left me thinking it was a good, strong, beautiful name.

SASM
01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Congratulations!!!

I vote for Neve. There used to be a mama on here named Neve. Amazing courageous lady. :) Always left me thinking it was a good, strong, beautiful name.
Ohhhh...I miss Neve! I think of her ever-expanding family quite often. I am sooo happy that she is living her dream. :) What an amazing woman! Miss her!

Puddy73
01-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Another vote for Neve. Congratulations on your little one!

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Neve!

GL!

tarnator
01-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Hmm.....

Seems like 16 votes for Neve and 8 votes for Teia.
A couple of rogue votes for Nia!

We have been calling her Teia in the NICU for the past week. But today one of the nurses said that she didn't want to say her name because she didn't want to get it wrong. Sigh. Exactly what I am worried about with that name!

I think that Neve would be great in that we have had a ton of snow here ever since she was born (unusual in Vancouver). BUT I do think that Teia Luise sounds better than Neve Luise....

Still trying to decide.....

EllasMum
01-03-2009, 01:55 AM
There is a little girl in DD's preschool class called 'Taiya' - "tay-yuh". I think it is a very pretty name. I know the spelling you are considering is different, but I think the sound of that name is very pretty. Also, it does sound great with Luise. :)

Congratulations on your little one!

tarnator
01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
We've decided!

It will be Teia Luise!

I like both names, but hubbie really prefers Teia. It is nice to have the decision made. Phew. i will send in her paperwork today.

Thanks for all the input!

MMMommy
01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I love the name Neve!

almostmom
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Teia Luise - I absolutely love it! Congrats!

Melaine
01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Congratulations....I love the name. Hope you can bring your little Teia home soon!

Fairy
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
My vote was for Teia, only with a Y, so Teya. But whatever you choose is beautiful, and congrats on your little girl!

scoop22
01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
congrats!! it is a beautiful name.. keep us posted. i bet you can't wait to take her home!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Never voted before, but Teia Louise was my top pick! Congrats!

gatorsmom
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
We've decided!

It will be Teia Luise!

I like both names, but hubbie really prefers Teia. It is nice to have the decision made. Phew. i will send in her paperwork today.

Thanks for all the input!

Yeah! I picked Teia. So pretty. I"m glad you could decide so easily!

SASM
01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Congratulations on choosing her beautiful name!! LOVE IT! Hoping you'll bring her home soon! Hugs!

tarnator
01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks again!

She is doing really well and actually coming home tomorrow!! Ack!
I feel like we are only half prepared. But I suppose most people feel a bit like that... HAHAHA.....

Anyway, just when I had everything decided - my dad saw her name on her certificate for passing her car seat challenge and said, "How are you supposed to say that?"

Great. Maybe we will have to change it to the 'y' version after all.:wink2: