PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a play kitchen for my DS

Thenu
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
DS's second birthday is coming up this month end. I would like to get a kitchen for him as he seems to be so fascinated to watch me or DH cook and try to imitate us. DH is not so keen on getting a kitchen for DS :( and he says it is going to occupy space in our apartment (Our apartment already looks like a toy house with loads of toys). So I searched for small kitchens and narrowed it down to two .

Educo kitchen - http://www.giftedimaginations.com/My-Creative-French-Kitchen-Cookery-p/ed706920.htm

Kidcraft retro kitchen in Red - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11287412&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

I like the educo and it seems to be a good size for an apartment but wondering DS may outgrow it too soon as it seems to be very small and I want this kitchen to be played by two at a time (we have plans for next baby soon).

The kidcraft looks good and it has some extra items like refridgerator and microwave and it is also somewhat smaller so that it can fit in our apartment but big enough to be played by two. I should have got this when costco had it for sale for $99 :( . It doesnt come with accessories like educo ..

I am so confused which one to go for ... any advice ?

Also The educo kitchen comes to $75 with discount in gifted imaginations website. I have read some negative remarks about them here like items not arriving / very late shipping / missing parts and no communication. Anyone have any recent experience ordering from gifted imaginations website?

DebbieJ
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
There's also a Melissa & Doug kitchen on Amazon for $99 plus free Super Saver shipping right now.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2009, 11:47 AM
We got a Kidkraft Island Kitchen in Primary Colors before it sold out at Costco.com last year. There were a few parts Kidkraft had to replace, but they did it quickly and easily. Ours is a lot bigger than the little red or pastel ones, so I'd be more inclined to tell you to get a taller one. If you look at the pictures where kids are standing next to them, you'll be able to see what I mean about the scale of the different kitchens.

I haven't seen this one IRL, but I think it is one of the more regular-sized ones, and it is cute! Oh, and on sale for $99! http://www.babyage.com/products/53144_kidkraft_kidkraft_whats_cookin_kitchen.htm?c p=goog67959&utm_source=goog&utm_medium=Default&utm_campaign=67959

The thing I didn't consider about the island style is that it would take up a good deal of space INTO the room so the kids have room to play around it. The ones that go against the wall would actually take up less space, I think. Not totally sure, but that's what I'm thinkng...

As for accessories, I ordered some plain pots and pans from Kidsurplus and some got some cute Tupperware plates and cups from Craigslist. NON pink/pastel stuff was more challenging than I thought.

ohiomom1121
01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I saw the Costo one IRL and it's REALLY small. I had both kids at the store with me (DS 2 and DD 4) and it just looked tiny for them. It's very cute and would definitely fit well in an apt. but just wanted to let you know it's short! I have two of the metro pieces (fridge and island) from PBK that they clearanced out. I got them for $88 each I think and they are so nice. They had them put in the back since they were discontinued so you might want to call and ask if you have one close!

citymama
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
We have and LOVE the Educo kitchen. It's beautifully made, perfect for that age (2-4), comes with wooden plates, spatulas, pots and pans and play food. It's the first thing that every kid who visits wants to play with! If you were buying for an older child, I'd say get a bigger one, but this is good for younger kids especially. Also good if you have a small place (like we do) - it's compact and easily portable from room to room.

pastrygirl
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I love the Educo kitchen! It's still perfect for my son, who is a tall 2.5-year-old. He loves it and plays with it daily. It's a great size for small spaces, too. My husband was also against a play kitchen for a boy, but he really likes this one. :thumbsup:

malphy
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I think of outdoor grills when I think of men cooking. My dh cooks on the grill all the time so she got the Sizzle & Serve Kitchen by little Tikes. It has everything including a weber type grill. DD loves it. It is not too big and easy to move around. Plenty of room for more than one child.

I like your choices but the grill is what won me, and dd, over.

hth

lisams
01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
DS (almost 2) got the Guidecraft Kitchenette for Christmas http://www.amazon.com/Natural-kitchenette-center-kitchen-appliances/dp/B000LOOKVA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1230930619&sr=1-2

It's a great size for small areas, we have it downstairs in the family room. I also like that it's not brightly colored, so it fits in better with the decor. Both DS and DD love it.

clb
01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I've ordered from gifted imaginations in the last month without a problem. My order was for haba blocks and a kathy kruse doll. Everything was in the expected condition.

I considered ordering the educo kitchen for Christmas, but had the same concerns as you. I am holding off on the kitchen until DS' 2nd birthday. I am planning to make felt play food. I found a few free patterns online and if it goes well I will order more patterns from etsy.

amandabea
01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I am planning to make felt play food. I found a few free patterns online and if it goes well I will order more patterns from etsy.

I'm interested in making felt play food too -- can you share where you found the free patterns? Also, how easy does it look? I'm soooo not crafty or talented when it comes to things like this...do I have to have a sewing machine or can it be done by hand?

TIA

brittone2
01-03-2009, 05:31 PM
We have been very happy with our Elves and Angels kitchen. I have a DS (almost 5) and a DD (newly 2)

Thenu
01-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the help, I ended up ordering the educo kitchen as DH liked it the best among the three I showed him (educo, M&D from amazon and the kidcraft from costco). It looks very small but it would go well with the small space in our apartment. I also liked it for the accessories it comes with.

I am getting it from gifted imaginations as the owner seems to be a very nice person when I emailed her about the discount code and the availability of this product. I will update here when I receive it.

clb
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Amanda-
There were good links on the half pint pixie's blog. I'll look for it and send it to you.

amandabea
01-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Amanda-
There were good links on the half pint pixie's blog. I'll look for it and send it to you.
Thank you!

citymama
01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the help, I ended up ordering the educo kitchen as DH liked it the best among the three I showed him (educo, M&D from amazon and the kidcraft from costco). It looks very small but it would go well with the small space in our apartment. I also liked it for the accessories it comes with.

I am getting it from gifted imaginations as the owner seems to be a very nice person when I emailed her about the discount code and the availability of this product. I will update here when I receive it.

I think you'll be happy with it - and $75 is a great deal!